Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:54 AM

11 posts, read 33,696 times

Advertisements

hi there. is there anyone who had experience that they pet have hepatitis?? My lil girl, 4 mos. old, is currently suffering from hepatitis, I had her checked this morning to the vet. Can u pls share me some of your experience and on what I should do...?

Here are some of her signs:
-she seems to have colds, bec.something liquid is coming out of her nose.
-diarrhea. doesn't want to drink nor eat.
-vomiting. loss of appetite. depress.
-her stool has a tiny blood and always make "poopoo"

I want her to survive. I just love her, she is very adorable. I miss her way of juumping and happiness. ((

thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
What were your vet's instructions? Follow them to the letter - and I would most definitely get a second opinion if you have any doubt at all about the first one. With something that is organ-related, I'd want two opinions.

You'll just have to miss her jumping around for now...and her happiness. Your dog may very well be fighting for her life. I know you want her to survive - but how is the vet telling you to actively participate in her recovery?

WHERE has she been - this is an infectious disease and it's from contact with body fluids of another infected dog. And your dog will spread the virus for months. Disinfect everything all the time...bleach...if you just got this puppy, contact the breeder, rescue, whoever - chances are there are other dogs who are ill or will become so very soon.

Last but not least - and I am not trying to be nosy, but - hepatitis can be very, very expensive to treat. Can you reasonably afford this?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
What were your vet's instructions? Follow them to the letter - and I would most definitely get a second opinion if you have any doubt at all about the first one. With something that is organ-related, I'd want two opinions.

You'll just have to miss her jumping around for now...and her happiness. Your dog may very well be fighting for her life. I know you want her to survive - but how is the vet telling you to actively participate in her recovery?

WHERE has she been - this is an infectious disease and it's from contact with body fluids of another infected dog. And your dog will spread the virus for months. Disinfect everything all the time...bleach...if you just got this puppy, contact the breeder, rescue, whoever - chances are there are other dogs who are ill or will become so very soon.

Last but not least - and I am not trying to be nosy, but - hepatitis can be very, very expensive to treat. Can you reasonably afford this?
hello there. Her ears and skin is yellowish, so that's what the vet told me that she has hepa. I know this is really a big deal bec. an organ is involved. Before, she had parvo, maybe 2-3 weeks ago. Now, she is experiencing vomiting and diarrhea. Her feces and vomit has tiny blood in it. She's too young for this. she's at home now, i can;t afford hospitalization bec.im still a student. SHe has her IV fluid, and antibiotics for protectant too. The vet said that she has to have Iv for a week. When she had parvo, we also treat her at home, and it was a success. I wish ythe same way now and im having high hopes!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM

What tests were run? Get a copy of your vet bill and find out - canine hepatitis is FREQUENTLY mistaken for parvo, and vice versa. Is it possible this is a worsening of the parvo?

Google "canine hepatitis" - there is a world of information out there. However, your vet needs to tell you what studies were done that differentiated parvo from the hep. To be honest, it sounds like a continued case of parvo that she hasn't recovered from, but of course I am not a vet and I'm just going by what you are saying. But jaundice does not necessarily mean hepatitis - it is also a symptom of parvo.

Read the bill closely - call the vet and ask for a detailed explanation. Best to you - and we will be around, please keep us informed.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Did vet check for Liver Shunt problems! Liver Shunt in Dogs | Canine Liver Shunt | Liver Problems in Dogs

Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 PM

hi there everyone. thanks to all your information. i wasn't online for a day. bec. my pup, the one i'm referring to, just passed away. I feel so depressed right now. I cant forget her face when she died. ( That time, she first, sneeze then came out pure blood from her nose. And, after that, she wanted to go out of her cage and want to go out. Then. i let her our of the cage, she went to the garage, then while walking, she fell down, she cant walk anymore... She lay down on the floor, reaching for some air, breath hard. ( I felt so pity for her, i dont wanna see her suffer. ( Then on her last breath, blood came out of her mouth, pure blood. ( Then,thats it. I cant still move on now. although i really have to. She is happy now. But i really do miss her. (

So, on the first tests, was parvo. (last december 26)
now, she was looked by the vet, and told me that it is hepatitis( jan 19)

I am so confused. and stressed.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Sorry for your loss....

Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
I am so sorry for your loss.

This sounds like parvo...that did not get treated fully, not hepatitis, except the yellowing. Like your pup never recovered from the parvo. Parvo is a nasty virus.

After you do some emotional healing, read up on it so you know what to watch for next time and not allow it to get out of hand.

We are our puppies and dog biggest and best advocate when they are sick. Never feel bad if you think you need a second opinion. Most vets mean well. Some are in it for the love of the animals. Some for the love of money. You have to figure out which one is your vet. (Sorry, it's true.)

I just agree with second opinions when it comes to "big important things" even though I trust my new vet. (I had issues with my last vet and learned the hard way...)

Again, I am so sorry...

Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 AM

I am so sorry Katy...I agree with LuvABull, and parvo can show some jaundice too. Parvo (and hep) can just be nasty and they stay around forever.

You have some healing to do and I hope you will allow yourself time to grieve her. I hate coupling up hard facts with sympathy, but please do not get another dog or puppy right now. Or anytime soon. Please read up on parvo and hep and understand how long the remnants can hang around. I know you would rather do ANYTHING than go through that again with another beloved pet. I'd also encourage you to find the breeder, facility, store - wherever you got her from - inform them. If you bought this dog somewhere or even from an individual breeder, chances are they have big problems and may have with future litters. No other pups should be ill or die - even though you are grieving, it is your responsibility to the future creatures of the earth to follow up on this one.

Katy, the little one is at peace. That is absolutely no comfort to you right now, I know - but she is not ill and she is running free, just as she should, and just where the universe wants her to be. Our pets are only loaned to us for a very short time...yours was shorter than most, but you were blessed to have her and her joy in your life. Don't let the good times get overshadowed...peace to you, strength, and rest.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 AM

thanks everyone for the comfort. i bought her and her sister from out neighbor. her died first, and was diagnosed of parvo. while, tapi, the one who recently died, survived it at first. she got fully recovered last january 1. She acts like nothing virus has come to her, she jumps and she is naughty. that's why i thought that she would be immuned from parvo again. I've searched the net before that once a dog had parvo, it won't attack her again.. i really didn't know, bec.she is so happy. she just got pale after 2 weeks...

Thanks for the advice, i know, it is for the best.. i know it's not easy but hopefully i could manage to recover the ache. sometime, i;ll share some photos of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs