U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 AM

7 posts, read 39,215 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

This seems to be a great forum for issues with training dogs. I know most of my questions and concerns have been answered millions of times so I guess maybe I am mainly just looking for positive reinforcement and reassurance, haha.

We, just 4 days ago, adopted our dog from an animal shelter. He, overall, has been incredible! He was prison trained and it shows. In the car on the way home, he vomited. I would say this was either nervousness (of course) or motion sickness, or both. The second we got him home, he went into our house and pooped on the carpet in our dining room (great choice Danny!! Haha). I also thought this was nerves so I didn't care.

I never scold him or rub his nose in it or anything. I caught him in the act of peeing (in our dining room of course) and said "No!" and took him straight outside.

Today, I took him outside to go potty (like I always do) and he urinated but no poop. About 35 minutes later, I came home and he had pooped (in our dining room, I am seeing a pattern here).

Other than relieving himself in our house, he is literally the perfect dog. To the point where I don't know what I'll do when he gets old and is no more

One issue that I believe is leading to this is his leash training. He is SO leash trained that he will not leave my side. Literally the first day I took him for a walk, I could tell that he probably didn't even need a leash. So, he does not mark his territory or pee when we are walking. I take him out into a field or something and he still does not pee.

He also HATES cars. I'd love nothing more than to be able to take him everywhere but he flat out will walk back to the front door of our house instead of going in a car ride (I am sure he has horrible memories of cars).

So, I guess I just need to know that everything will be okay This is a big addition to our family and I feel ultra-responsible because I am with him all day and night and I kind of feel like I am failing.

I also know that I am expecting far too much from him. He's a fricken angel and has added so much to our home already (after only 4 days).

Are there any additional things I should do with him being a shelter dog and all? He is almost 6 months old.

I put a picture of him below getting ready to jump over the back seat of our car

Danny.jpg picture by Tjalsma - Photobucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 16,963 times
Congratulations on the new addition to your family. He sounds like a great dog. Although he is 6 months old and it sounds like he's already had some training, you should probably assume that he is not fully house trained or not house trained at all. I don't know how the prison training programs work exactly, but maybe it doesn't translate too well into a home when it comes to the bathroom habits. I could be wrong, but it sounds like he probably has no idea what you are expecting of him, so treat him like you would treat any puppy that has no training. Give him lots of opportunities to go outside (if he is constantly healing, you may have to stop and just hang out with him for a while). It could take a little while to figure out when he needs to go and what are the circumstances that make him comfortable enough to go. So just pay attention to his habits. When he goes, praise him, give him treats, etc. When you are in the house, don't give him an opportunity to make mistakes. Keep a close eye on him and take him outside if it looks like he has to go (even if you just came back from a walk...). If you are away and can't keep an eye on him, crating him would help (for reasonable stretches at a time).

Hang in there, he'll probably figure it out very quickly.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Thank you for the support

I just wasn't being strict enough with him, I guess you could say. I was letting him out to use the bathroom and complimenting him when relieving himself. Now I am out there right with him, in the 15 degree weather giving him treats when he does it outside.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,507,181 times
We recently rescued a lab mutt from the humane society who had some similar issues. He was approximately a year old when we got him last August. He is the sweetest dog but he is still a puppy. Our next youngest dog is 5 so its been awhile since we had a pup.

Chance never pooped in the house but he peed on a number of occassions early on. I agree with pardonme in that you should he had little to no housebreaking training. It is a new experience for the pup so it will take a lot of patience and discipline. He is trying to learn the ropes and I am sure he will. You need to pay attention to signs that he may have to 'go.' Chance would walk around the sofa or walk to a window and look outside. After a peeing incident or two we realized this was his way of telling us. Now, he goes out, goes to his favorite spot and comes right back in. Another challenge for me was letting him wait until I was dressed to take all the dogs on a walk before letting him out. A wet carpet let me know that I needed to get him out sooner!!

It's little things, you'll figure it out soon enough!! Oh, Chance got car sick as well. We take our dogs for quick errands with us and we were disappointed that Chance puked every time he was in the car. We started only taking him on short trips - to the mail box at first (3 miles round trip) and then we increased the length. Now he is doing quite well. I wouldn't say he would be puke free on a 2 hour trip to the mountains but we will see!

Best of luck!! Just remember, patience and consistency!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM

153 posts, read 790,612 times
He sounds like a very nice pup, I would just crate him when you're not home so he doesn't have the choice of eliminating on the carpet. That should make it easier to housebreak him. Some pups take as long as a year to be fully housebroken and crate free.

Quote:
Are there any additional things I should do with him being a shelter dog and all?
Yes, don't think of him as a shelter dog. Think of him as you would any other dog and treat him as such. Problems being when people start feeling sorry for a dog's past and treat them differently. Not saying you are doing that, just saying it happens far too often.

His past is not who he is, and he has already moved on.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Thank you very much everyone.

I am not sure about crate training him. I work from home full-time so I am always able to be around him Clients ask what the jingling is when he is right next to me because they can hear his tags, haha.

Again, thank you for the support - I appreciate it!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Today, I took him outside to go potty (like I always do) and he urinated but no poop. About 35 minutes later, I came home and he had pooped (in our dining room, I am seeing a pattern here).
When you said this, I assumed you left the house and then came home again to find the mess, correct?

That would be when you crate him instead of leaving him loose in the house. 6 months is really too young to be given free range to do whatever he wants, even with all his previous training, and he's not making the right choices at this point.

Setting him up to succeed by crating him when you leave (even just to go to the store for 30 minutes) is much kinder than setting him up to fail by leaving him loose.

Most dogs learn to love their crates and they naturally prefer not to soil it. This is what you use to your advantage. You have no way of telling the dog "don't potty here" when he's alone, that's why you crate, so you can prevent it.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Yes, he did it while we were gone.

I guess I will give it a try if I don't see improvement soon. I am not against it, I just also not really for it. I've never used a crate in the past.

He will pee right in front of us in our dining room. It doesn't matter if I happen to leave the house or if I am right next to him It's a bit frustrating. I'll look into a crate. He also relieves himself in our dining room every single time so would it be advantageous for me to just not allow him in there?

Last edited by Tjalsma; 01-19-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
He also relieves himself in our dining room every single time so would it be advantageous for me to just not allow him in there?

.....yes.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 PM

13,262 posts, read 25,405,201 times
Sounds like he and OP are doing great for only four days, congratuations!
I concur with going out with the dog so your verbal phrase is exactly, well, on the money.
He sounds like a wonderful additon to OP's household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or