Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

and onceagain ive seen the result of a coyote pack attack on livestock guardian dogs that out weigh out beefcake and out agress any boxer...
for ME i care about my dogs to not put them at extra risk, especially when im not even AT the house to intervene shoudl i hear somthing that doesnt seem right...

i HOPE to which ever god listens that nothing happens to any dog...
but personally i care about my dogs to protect them WHEN I CAN...
Im not going to wrap them in bubble wrap and not let them be dogs..but when im not home to supervise they are left in a more secure setting...simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
actually NO a single coyote is not a threat to a boxer, howevercoyotes dont typiclaly run alone...and ive SEEn large dogs Seriously injured and even killed by a PACK of coyotes...ive also seen cotes scale 8ft and dig under fences with no issues...
most coyote work as bait, theyll send 1 coyote out to lure the dog into a vunerable position while the rest wait for ambush...

perosnally id NEVER EVER EVER leave a dog of any size of breed out in the yard alone all day...
not only are the coyotes a potential danger (even if the boxer survived an attack coyotes are common vector species (rabies)) but youve also got the danger that one day shell figure out how to get out of the fence, then theres the risk of theft dogs are often stolen for bait dogs, lab resarch ect... the risk of people teasing her through the fence ect, and the possibility of disgruntled neighbors and just flat out horrible people (after a friends dog died from eating rat poisend meat that was tossed over the fence by a neighbor...)
YOUR not there you dont know if she barks all day, you dont know what she does all day...soshe might bark, she might annoy the neighbors ect...
if she doesnt like being left alone all day get a dog walker to come in and take her out/play with her and if crating is not an option give her a dog safe room to stay in...mabe with acess to a large chainlink run with a cover so she can come in and out as needed/wanted but shed be better protected form the MANY horrible things that can happen.
im not saying be paranoid...i am saing becarefull.
also boxers arnt built to be outdoors all day, their short tight coat doesnt protect them from the cold and certianly doesnt protect them from the heat, they also get sunburn, boxers are highly prone to skin cancer.
Most urban coyotes are loaners, more brazen, but typically not in a pack.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
I know I'm being overly touchy but since it's the internet I will indulge myself. I am also sort of in a bad mood for unrelated reasons, which is fueling me here. I am well aware of the reported weaknesses of the boxer breed. She's not running the iditarod. She's not left all day in some concrete wasteland of a backyard with only the shade of a spindly cactus to keep her cool. She lives in temperate Los Angeles in a predominantly shady, large, enclosed, hilly backyard with plenty of room to run, she has water, shelter, an igloo full of clean warm blankets and towels, squirrels to stare at, butterflies and hummingbirds to leap at. I mean, we're talking about an idyllic scene back there. Maybe she will get skin cancer one day. That is my main concern. I put sunscreen on her nose and belly, but still skin cancer probably is her biggest risk because of her pink nose and because she loves to sun bathe. But considering her individual personality, it's a risk I'm willing to live with, because her quality of life is high. While she's in the backyard, nobody messes with her. Nobody except my neighbors can get to the fence without coming fifty feet onto my property. I live on a steep hill with no non-resident foot or auto traffic. She's not a barker. I've asked my neighbors. They all have dogs and we all watch out for each other's dogs. None of my neighbors have babies or work odd hours. She has no interest in running away. I could leave the gate open all day and she wouldn't take a step out. I didn't train her to do that. It's just the way she is. My concern today, other than skin cancer, was whether there is a realistic coyote risk. After reading posts and looking at information about coyotes, I think the risk is miniscule.
I think that your chances of having a problem are pretty slim and, in your shoes, I probably wouldn't go very far out of my way or change my dog's idyllic routine very much - but the risk is real. Coyotes are extremely nasty critters and they fight really dirty. I would be more concerned about coming home to a boxer with a pierced eyeball, a lot of insidious punctures and a lacerated anus than a dead boxer, but it's not like that one-in-a-million chance would be inexpensive, easy to fix and no big deal.

Boxers may have ancestral roots in bull baiting, but nowadays they tend to be big lap dogs with Bobby Boucher-esque Oedipal complexes who don't know much about evaluating the credibility of a bodily threat NOR do they tend to know much about dirty knife fights. Coyotes fight for a living.

I think that out West you will mostly see the little-bodied, 35 lb. coyotes - they're still a problematic animal for dog owners, but it beats the pants off of the bigger and bolder 'yotes you encounter in an Easterly direction.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 AM

126 posts, read 673,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You need to protect this dog. Try to devise a kennel in your home, garage something to protect this dog from the coyotes. One dog is not going to be able to prevent a pack from hurting it. Small children are at risk too. If you are seeing these animals, things may already be out of control in your area. These animals do not normally allow themselves to be seen. Call an animal warden. Do some google research, they are attacking children in broad daylight in neighborhoods in some areas of so. cali.
I'm not going to cage the dog for reasons i've stated in earlier posts. If she gets attacked by a coyote, lifted off by an owl, or bitten by a rattlesnake, then look for my next post in the rainbow bridge section.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
Instead of being defensive at well-meaning suggestions, just ignore those you disagree with. One thing you could do to prevent even the slight possibility of Coyote or other attack, would be to build a run for her to be in during the day, If you sink the bottom edge in cement a few inches under the ground and put a cover over the top, that would keep her safe from predators including human ones (locks on the gates are a good idea also).

But, crate training her, gradually and using positive methods is a good idea. Not for leaving her while you work but so that she'll be less stressed if she ever has to be at the vet's overnight or for other reasons.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Speak of the devil, I had let my dogs out earlier this morning (funny how they wait until 5 am on a Sunday morning to decide they want out) and a half an hour later they were going nuts. I dragged nyself back out of bed and there was a coyote standing in the field next to the fence staring at the dogs. He wasn't intimidated at all (probably because of the fence). The minute he saw me - poof- he was gone.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyOgre View Post
Please??

No coyote will attack a boxer in its own yard. Boxers were used to bait bulls and bears. I have had coyotes out run my boxer at the barn. The boxer can't run as fast as they can. Now on the other hand I had a coyote suprise my 2 Jack Russels and it was a bloody mess. The coyote was in several peices, no marks at all on the Jacks.
Of course they will if they want to. Ive lived in the country with Great Pyrenees that had been in fights with them. They are opportunistic. You can say yes for sure they will or no they wont. There are way too many variables to say no they wont attack a boxer.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
People use smaller dogs as bait dogs for coyotes. They will run out let coyote see them and run towards hunter with the gun so hunter takes out coyote. Packed up they will go after the dog if hungry..I would find some hunters in area to eliminate the coyote problem as soon as they figure hunters are taking them out they will shy away.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
People use smaller dogs as bait dogs for coyotes. They will run out let coyote see them and run towards hunter with the gun so hunter takes out coyote. Packed up they will go after the dog if hungry..I would find some hunters in area to eliminate the coyote problem as soon as they figure hunters are taking them out they will shy away.
People course coyotes with greyhounds and staghounds in South Texas (probably elsewhere too). Part of the rationale is that coyotes under consistent pressure from dogs will learn some dog-shyness.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
ive found it can go either way, theyll either stay away from dog property, or theyll form larger groups "strngth in numbers" people dont give coyotes enough credit thereincredibly smart and VERY sneaky. amazing animals who deserve respect.

dreamhunter, from what i can gather the op lives in an urban gated community im pretty sure theyd probably not allow a bunch of hunters to come around with dogs and guns to take out the local wildlife...these yotes are doing NO harm right now WHY kill them? they keep the mouse, rat, and rabbit populations under control,unless there causing issues (attacking house dogs, standing off/stalking humans, raiding trashcans ect theres NO reason to destroy the local population...

i will happily kill a coyote or any predator that comes sniffing around my rabbits or chickens or one thats acting "off" (ie rabid) but destroying coyotes simply because their inconvenient is ridiculous we NEED natural predators and as long as there not acting pests (and simply being around making a noise and freeking out home owners isnt being a pest...) theres no reason to destroy them...
also when a local population of coyotes are killed youll typiclaly have a new one move in within a year in urban environments...
remmeber WE invaded their land...not theother way around. protect your home, family and livestock, even hunting to CONTROL exploding populations ect fine...BUT i dont see why they should off the yotes somply for being yotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs