U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,513,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
ive found it can go either way, theyll either stay away from dog property, or theyll form larger groups "strngth in numbers" people dont give coyotes enough credit thereincredibly smart and VERY sneaky. amazing animals who deserve respect.

dreamhunter, from what i can gather the op lives in an urban gated community im pretty sure theyd probably not allow a bunch of hunters to come around with dogs and guns to take out the local wildlife...these yotes are doing NO harm right now WHY kill them? they keep the mouse, rat, and rabbit populations under control,unless there causing issues (attacking house dogs, standing off/stalking humans, raiding trashcans ect theres NO reason to destroy the local population...

i will happily kill a coyote or any predator that comes sniffing around my rabbits or chickens or one thats acting "off" (ie rabid) but destroying coyotes simply because their inconvenient is ridiculous we NEED natural predators and as long as there not acting pests (and simply being around making a noise and freeking out home owners isnt being a pest...) theres no reason to destroy them...
also when a local population of coyotes are killed youll typiclaly have a new one move in within a year in urban environments...
remmeber WE invaded their land...not theother way around. protect your home, family and livestock, even hunting to CONTROL exploding populations ect fine...BUT i dont see why they should off the yotes somply for being yotes.
I couldn't agree with you more. The fact is that most coyotes will be scared off by a loud noise (clapping, whistling, etc). There is no need to randomly shoot them unless they are threatening you or your pets, livestock etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,303,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. The fact is that most coyotes will be scared off by a loud noise (clapping, whistling, etc). There is no need to randomly shoot them unless they are threatening you or your pets, livestock etc.
I've never been into predator hunting, but there is probably a valid argument that a coyote on your property is threatening your pets, livestock, etc. A coyote on your property is probing for patterns, weaknesses and opportunities; he's probably not there to peacefully and blissfully co-exist.

It's smart to do what you can to menace coyotes when presented with the opportunity (yelling, throwing rocks, what have you) but I can't get comfortable with thinking that someone who kills coyotes on sight is necessarily wrong for it.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,513,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I've never been into predator hunting, but there is probably a valid argument that a coyote on your property is threatening your pets, livestock, etc. A coyote on your property is probing for patterns, weaknesses and opportunities; he's probably not there to peacefully and blissfully co-exist.

It's smart to do what you can to menace coyotes when presented with the opportunity (yelling, throwing rocks, what have you) but I can't get comfortable with thinking that someone who kills coyotes on sight is necessarily wrong for it.
I would tend to agree with you. We live on 35 acres and see coyotes very often. Many times when my dogs are outside. I walk out make a loud noise and they scatter.

Now, if they showed aggression towards any of my dogs, I would do whatever I had to do to protect them.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,676,698 times
Any coyote I have seen see's a human and they off like a race horse, you being in urban environment they could be over crowded, looking for home territory or a easy meal. Do you have a large bunny,squirrel and other small animal including feral cat population? He may be in area looking for that and then leave dog alone.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 AM

43,435 posts, read 52,425,333 times
Only if he hits on his girlfriend.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM

126 posts, read 541,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Any coyote I have seen see's a human and they off like a race horse, you being in urban environment they could be over crowded, looking for home territory or a easy meal. Do you have a large bunny,squirrel and other small animal including feral cat population? He may be in area looking for that and then leave dog alone.
We have a ton of squirrels and feral cats. And skunks. Boy, do we have skunks. Possums. That's about it. I haven't seen any rabbits in our area. We are pretty urban, but the hills where building is prohibitively expensive are left open, grassy, dotted with oak trees, and the coyotes live around there. They venture out and eat god knows what. We also have an overabundance of chihuahuas.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 PM

126 posts, read 541,776 times
and if any of you are in Southern California and are looking to adopt a dog, check out boxer rescue LA. That's where I found my crazy beast:

BRLA Main Page

Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,676,698 times
This is about the time males are looking to hook up as breeding season is coming, they will be walking their territory looking for intruders and the lucky female they will be hooking up with also.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 PM

2,176 posts, read 964,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyOgre View Post
Please??

No coyote will attack a boxer in its own yard. Boxers were used to bait bulls and bears. I have had coyotes out run my boxer at the barn. The boxer can't run as fast as they can. Now on the other hand I had a coyote suprise my 2 Jack Russels and it was a bloody mess. The coyote was in several peices, no marks at all on the Jacks.
Ehhh, a wild coyote with that predator instinct and will to survive. Coyotes have been known to kill dogs bigger than boxers. People think my dog can take on a little coyote and end up with a dead dog

Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 PM

809 posts, read 1,916,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
and onceagain ive seen the result of a coyote pack attack on livestock guardian dogs that out weigh out beefcake and out agress any boxer...
for ME i care about my dogs to not put them at extra risk, especially when im not even AT the house to intervene shoudl i hear somthing that doesnt seem right...

i HOPE to which ever god listens that nothing happens to any dog...
but personally i care about my dogs to protect them WHEN I CAN...
Im not going to wrap them in bubble wrap and not let them be dogs..but when im not home to supervise they are left in a more secure setting...simple.
I agree with your post, foxywench.

I don't understand why a poster would ask a pointed question and then argue the responses.

Yes, a Coyote can and will take down any breed, especially if it has "packed". Chasing butterflies and all the other fluff from the OP makes little sense to me. He/she is worried about the possibility yet argues the responses.

We try to help but sometimes answers fall on deaf ears and end up being contrary to what the poster is asking.

Regards,

Second Right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs