Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times

Advertisements

this is fantastic news! once they sell their current stock they will only have animals up for adoption from local shelters, the same setup as petco and petsmart.

Petland to sell animals from shelters

hopefully other stores or the entire company will follow suit soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 AM

13 posts, read 59,517 times
It just makes no sense to me why stores don't go this route. I ended up with my very first dog after going to a Petsmart adoption drive. There's not a better dog that I could have ended up with.

People end up paying less for their animals, and the stores suddenly have people with money to spend - a new pet to take care of - already inside! Heck, even dog training is available to buy!

/Gives the evil eye to Uncle Bill's here in Indiana

Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
That's WONDERFUL!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
That's WONDERFUL!
yes it IS...... one can only hope that they are beginning to see the light.....

Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
This is great!!! Finally!!! I was kind of surprised that they will tack on $100 to the adoption fee for shelter puppies, so a $300 adoption fee. That's pretty high, but it would still be less than the prices they were charging for purebred pups I'm sure.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
didn't you see the video or article of whatever it was about the petland in el paso?? they can't make a profit and will go out of business unless they can sell puppies and kittens..... ..... so even though they are now doing shelter animals, they still gotta have their finger in the pie......

Old 10-27-2010, 02:04 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
That's great news! I think all the other Petlands could learn a valuable lesson here...the one here in EP has not only decided to close on Jan. 1st, but is actually suing the rescue organizations that protested in an effort to get the ban on sales of puppies and kittens in retail venues passed...here's a link to an article about it. Keep in mind, these were peaceful protests, they were not held on Petland's property, and the signs were strictly anti-puppymill, NOT anti-Petland...not one of the signs had the name "Petland" anywhere on it, but they're trying to sue anyway!

Petland sues, says it will close Jan. 1 - El Paso Times

Old 10-27-2010, 02:19 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
That is great news! It's a start for sure.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
didn't you see the video or article of whatever it was about the petland in el paso?? they can't make a profit and will go out of business unless they can sell puppies and kittens..... .....

How come Petsmart and Petco have no trouble making a profit even though they have never sold mill pups.

Sound to me like the owners in El Paso are just poor business managers.

I hope some attorney will come forward and represent the folks being sued pro bono since I doubt the rescues have money to throw away on this stupid lawsuit.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
How come Petsmart and Petco have no trouble making a profit even though they have never sold mill pups.

Sound to me like the owners in El Paso are just poor business managers.

I hope some attorney will come forward and represent the folks being sued pro bono since I doubt the rescues have money to throw away on this stupid lawsuit.
You're absolutely right...the Petland here could have worked with rescues and HELPED both the shelter dogs as well as themselves, yet it's just not enough for them. They don't really have a leg to stand on as far as the suit is concerned, being that these organizations and individuals had permits to protest, they stayed in the designated area, and their signs were generic...I don't even know what Petland is thinking by trying to sue them, but I'm sure the whole thing will backfire and they'll end up losing even MORE money when they have to compensate these organizations for the court and lawyer fees...!
Here's a link to the original thread about this...the lawsuit stuff is toward the end,in case any of you want to read it!
And they call themselves a rescue???

Last edited by luvmycat; 10-28-2010 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs