U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,552,335 times

Advertisements

No I am not serious. Yes it was simply a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Do a walking stick or bat. Not a cattle prod. At least not one of those cattle prods with the sharp forks on the end. You want to knock an attack dog off. You don't want to kill it.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 PM

6,152 posts, read 9,327,824 times
no offence hopes but if a dog is attacking my dog or myself/my family with the intent to kill (a dog doesnt run up to you and attack because it just wants to taste you) then if i have to kill it to save my own dogs life (or amy own or a child ect) i WILL.

i dont take attacks lightly by any dog, but in a situation like this where 2 loose dogs pack up and attack...i WOULD feel sad if i hit a dog attacking and killed it...i wouldnt feel guilty however...me and my own come first and i will do whatever needs to be done...if i dont have to i wont, but if it came down to kill or be killed...

ive never seen a sharp cattle prod, they look sharp when you look at the pictures of them because of the 2 metal "prongs" but when you see them up close there not actually sharp......they do give one heck of a jolt though

Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,254,419 times
So sorry this happened.

I carry an aluminum walking stick when I walk the boys. Although it is usually under my arm, it is there for a reason.

One day we were walking up the hill to the house and family was visiting my neighbor and they brought a doberman over and he was not leashed, chained or restrained in any way.

He can trotting down the street and not sure of his intent, I took the walking stick as he got close and block him at every move, (stamping it down in front of him) with a sharp, "NO" giving him zero access. (The look on his face was priceless, it was the "deer in the headlights.") I never once had to touch him. It shocked his train of thought. He'd never experienced that before and didn't know he could go around the stick.

By this time, the owners realized what was going on and were calling him back. He retreated.

Had I not had the stick, anything "could" have happened...nothing did. Funny the people were all yelling, "he's friendly, he's friendly..." They did not know if my boys were friendly or if they were aggressives and would have seen that as an approach differently and acted as a pack, by attacking as a pack.

The dogs that attacked you and yours attacked as a pack. That is different than a dog running at large. AC may also see that differently. You really need to call them and discuss the situation.

Whatever it takes to protect you and yours, that is what you do!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 AM

5,982 posts, read 11,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do a walking stick or bat. Not a cattle prod. At least not one of those cattle prods with the sharp forks on the end. You want to knock an attack dog off. You don't want to kill it.
Hopes, the one I have has 2 prongs but they are not sharp at all, and the prod definitely is not going to kill a dog. It is 36" long, which helps keep some distance between you and the fight.

Again, proper use is the key. You hold the button down (if it is quiet, you can hear the power up) for 1-2 seconds, then touch to the attacker for a second and pull back. This can be done repeatedly. Trust me, you will know when it makes contact...the attacker will yelp. Do it again, and I can almost guarantee he will retreat. Oh well.

There are cattle prods that are huge and can vary in the intensity of the shock - I am assuming some of them are quite powerful. The one I have is called The Blue One by Hot Shot, although I don't currently see this model offered in a quick look around the net.

Prods are designed to make animals move. That's exactly the effect that is desired...movement away from me and my dog. It doesn't cause them to fall over and and render them immobile like a taser does a person, it causes them to MOVE. It's an electrical jolt - the attacker realizes he's losing the fight and he goes on down the road...usually at a high rate of speed.

Three feet of reach, one good and powerful jolt, the ability to recharge quickly and fend off a second attacking animal? I'd say it's win-win.....no one is seriously injured by trying to break up a fight or swing something and potentially miss, and the attack is over. I've done this - it works, it is effective.

Sorry, but there is a difference in a strange dog approaching and not being exactly sure what is happening versus an actual attack, and the OP has described a vicious attack. You know it when it happens - and I'm not putting myself or my dogs at risk because an attacking dog might get a boo-boo. Would I recommend this for a marauding pack of teacup chihuahuas? No, of course not - if I can kick the attacker to the moon, there's no purpose....but dogs of any size at all can render substantial damage in a very short amount of time to my dog or to myself. No chances here. I'm gonna win

Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'm not putting myself or my dogs at risk because an attacking dog might get a boo-boo.
I've always been odd. When I was attacked by that dog, I cried to my mother about how I had to kick it while she driving me to the ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Would I recommend this for a marauding pack of teacup chihuahuas? No, of course not - if I can kick the attacker to the moon, there's no purpose.
Thanks for the laugh. This was hillarious.

I appreciate your explaining how a cattle prod works. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 AM

5,982 posts, read 11,090,492 times
Hopes, I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain my love of the prod! When I lived in a rural area on an island in the Caribbean (yes, there really are rural areas on islands!), it was almost a necessity. Dogs are objects there, not family pets...and are pretty much allowed to wander freely. From my window on the world they did not have the interaction with humans that most dogs stateside do, and they seemed more aggressive. Don't know why. Anyway, I started carrying it then - I had one Rottie who would not start a fight, but if it came he was surely going to finish it....and he was getting old and not as likely to win as back in his scrappier days. It was protection for him as much as me.

I live in a very small town now - my neighbors have all at one time or another asked about the prod and I have taken care to explain to them that this is not a tool for discipline or meanness or whatever they might be imagining. Everyone has been very supportive except for the family who was letting their 4 crazy dogs run loose night and day. My 80-year-old father was afraid to leave the house (the dogs are actually very sweet, but 4 of them together gives a pretty scary visual when they are running at you). I bought him a prod - he has waved it around a few times and that has seemed to be enough - still, should he end up in a bad situation, he can defend himself.

My whole purpose is just to stop the attack before it gets out of hand. Dogs at some level don't hear when a fight starts, and they surely do not differentiate dogs and humans when things get so ramped up that it's crazy. I simply help them regain their perspective very quickly!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 AM

956 posts, read 880,102 times
HHMom, I'm sorry that his happened to you. I got tired of the roaming dogs in my neighborhood ( you'd think with a HOA things would be different) so I rarely take my boy out any more. The last thing I need is for my "big" "agressive" great dane to defend himself by hurting or gravely injuring another dog and he gets impounded by AC. Even though he's on a leash, UTD on shots, and trained.

Anyway when I was riding my bike and he was at my side I would use the bike as a "barrier" and try to scare the dogs off. Other times I would get off and charge the dog myself ( putting my dog in a "sit" or "down stay." ) until the "threat" was over. Also tried a stick and bat great for scaring but I've never had a full blown attacker on my dog. ( hope I never will for that matter)

Sam I Am, thanks for mentioning the cattle prod. I've contemplated mace but again due to so many factors it seems to be more of risk. I get my dogs food from Tractor Supply guess I'll have to do some other shopping as well.

Love the Chihuahua comment BTW.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 AM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
We have a HOA, but there are lots of undeveloped areas and there are packs of dogs that live in them, and the HOA can't do anything about those areas because they're not owned by the neighborhood. These two didn't have the look of dogs that have been stray for a while though, most of the strays around here get to looking thin and shaggy.

I've scared off a single dog before and that's easier.

My husband thinks I should start carrying a knife when I walk the dogs, that doesn't seem like a good weapon for this purpose to me though.

I've tried the coupler for the leash to put both dogs on the same leash, but I'm not strong enough to hold onto them that way. Our new gal Kelly is a real puller and she's very stubborn. I'm working with her on it but it's going pretty slow. I actually had a chain collar on her yesterday, the other dogs were trying to bite her neck but I could hear their teeth hitting the chain and then they'd stop and toss their heads.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM

5,100 posts, read 8,674,271 times
I'd call your county and tell them they attacked your dogs viciously and you're wanting AC to pick them up but they won't unless you have them confined. I'd also let them know if you're walking your leashed dogs and these attack you and your dogs after you've reported it and there are injuries you'll be contacting a lawyer for legal action against them for negligence.

I love dogs. I live with 21. I run a rescue and have for many many years. I'm killing myself right now by volunteering to take over the shelter the next county over from me and run it the right way, which means I've also set up an ethics board to pass county laws mandating the way the shelter should be run for the welfare of the animals. This said, I would NOT hesitate to kill a dog that attacks another animal or human, ever. And yes, that would be by any means necessary. I do not dispute that if the dogs were caught they could be rehabilitated, but there are plenty in this country that don't have those issues and are killed daily for lack of space. IMO there is no reason to keep alive a dog that has aggression issues. If we were so desperate for pets that the local shelters were empty this may be a different story.

Carry what you have to carry to protect yourself and your dogs. Mace won't work. A baton may annoy them. The cattle prod or - honestly - a gun is your best defense. Yes, I'd cry if I had to kill one and I know my day is coming with the career path I've chosen, but I'd still do what had to be done. I guess it's the logic in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs