Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,730,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Not were I live and in most rural areas, I live rural - farm and ranch country and I hear gun fire almost every day somewhere in my "neighborhood". As I posted earlier this was an 80lbs dog NOT a "puppy" and we really don't know the circumstances and since it was a rescue it's highly unlikely anyone really knew the dog well enough to evaluate the temperment in a strange situation.

Any time a dog or any other animal is shot is sad however, I've been in some very scarey situations on my rural property with stray/loose dogs and if I'd had a gun I'd have shot them. Several of my neighbors have shot dogs and they all have their own pets so it's not like they were hateful towards dogs but when stray/loose dogs are on your property it can create all sorts of problems. How would you feel if this unknown 80lbs "puppy" was running towards you and your small grandchildren? Or gotten into your livestock and injured or killed them? Both of these incidences happened here and the dogs were shot.

Based on the OP's posts we really don't know the whole story.
True, we don't know the whole story, but wreckless discharge is illegal most everywhere. I know rural areas are a little different. If this was a urban or city area it would have been illegal, unless the dog attacked, you cannot just shoot a dog because it looks a little shakey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:59 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,253,983 times
So sorry

Old 01-27-2012, 12:04 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,946,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You were not there so how are you able to come to any rational conclusion
From what I am reading, the OP wasn't there either..

Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,230,533 times
ILOVE, just to backtrack a little... did the police talk to you directly? If you got the police info secondhand from someone else, I am wondering something. Could you send your partner over to the person who was given the dog, and have him look around and see if all this is a lie and the dog is still there? Of course, if you or your partner talked direct to the police, I apologize, but to me the story sounded a little fishy.

By the way, pay no attention to people here who question or critque you about any of this. They know nothing about what it's like to care about animals the way we do. GG

Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,359,113 times
It's usually pretty easy to tell "wild" dogs from domesticated ones who have wandered off their home property. My wife comes from an area up north where packs of wild dogs can be a problem. I really doubt this person thought he was shooting a wild feral animal. Probably just wanted to kill something for kicks, if I had to guess.

4,918 posts, read 22,616,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
From what I am reading, the OP wasn't there either..
True, however the OP did come back and say that their emotions overflowed on this and thats something we can all respect. The OP was hit with a very hard and sad reality and being the person directly involved, we can all expect them to initially have such strong emotions in their initial discussions that will slowly fade to just sadness as the wave of shock washes over them. But these other dolts that just come out of thin air condeming and forming lynching parties when they have absolutely no idea what actually happened, those are the folks I find so pathetic.

7,329 posts, read 16,354,957 times
The only point is, the OP had been caring for a dog in need of a home, that wound up with the wrong person, and then met a tragic end. He is hurt and frustrated and angry and he has every reason to be. I don't think his point was so much to assign blame, but to share his pain as so many of us do at times here. I don't see a need to debate who was or wasn't at fault. of course, we weren't there.
It breaks your heart to see any animal meet an untimely end, and it hurts twice as much when it's an animal that's been rescued. I've seen it happen for various reasons on occasion, such as a dog that waited a long time for his forever home, finally found a great one and then met an accidental death not long after. It's something that really breaks your spirit for a time. I think the OP just needs a little support here, not arguing.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:24 PM

10 posts, read 268,001 times
OMG! This really infuriates me!! Some PEOPLE deserve to be shot! How can people be so ignorant?! Because he crossed the property line?! The same thing happened with one of my cats a few years ago. She had just given birth a few days before and took her 4 kittens into a neighbor's shrub. That was the last time I saw her or the kittens. A couple of nights later I heard 5 shots and never saw her again. It was my crazy neighbor and his friend, but in our town you need to actually have evidence like them on camera for police to do anything. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you pursue this with authorities.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,955,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
True, however the OP did come back and say that their emotions overflowed on this and thats something we can all respect. The OP was hit with a very hard and sad reality and being the person directly involved, we can all expect them to initially have such strong emotions in their initial discussions that will slowly fade to just sadness as the wave of shock washes over them. But these other dolts that just come out of thin air condeming and forming lynching parties when they have absolutely no idea what actually happened, those are the folks I find so pathetic.
dolts?? pathetic?? really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
The only point is, the OP had been caring for a dog in need of a home, that wound up with the wrong person, and then met a tragic end. He is hurt and frustrated and angry and he has every reason to be. I don't think his point was so much to assign blame, but to share his pain as so many of us do at times here. I don't see a need to debate who was or wasn't at fault. of course, we weren't there.
It breaks your heart to see any animal meet an untimely end, and it hurts twice as much when it's an animal that's been rescued. I've seen it happen for various reasons on occasion, such as a dog that waited a long time for his forever home, finally found a great one and then met an accidental death not long after. It's something that really breaks your spirit for a time. I think the OP just needs a little support here, not arguing.

yes ^^^^

Old 01-27-2012, 01:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,008,220 times
It's always saddening to lose a loved one. But we're all human and the majority of us support the killing of animals. It's a part of life for us and it's really saddening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs