U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM

371 posts, read 869,897 times

Advertisements

Can dry dog food be frozen? I can get a large bag of food much cheaper but am afraid it will go bad before it's all used...Dog is a 20 pounder and eats a cup of dry food a day so it takes awhile to go through say, a 30 lb bag thus my going bad fears...Thanks in advance...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,129,938 times
I would email the company to ask about freezing it. If you do I'd keep it very airtight so moisture doesn't get in that could affect it when you do take it out to use it. 30 lbs is definitely too much to have out if you're only using a cup a day. Once the bag is opened, I've heard you should use it up in 6 weeks so the vitamins don't degrade and so the fat in the food doesn't get rancid. Also keeping it in a plastic storage bin with a tight lid is a good idea.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,864,646 times
I wouldn't freeze it or keep it in the refrigerator, moisture causes mold, and molds are what many dry pet foods are recalled because of.

There are air tight tins and containers made for storing animal feed, sometimes they even have them at TJ Maxx, be sure they seal and are not just decorative.

Perhaps Tupperware or similar brands make larger containers.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,447,724 times
actually freezing is the best way to keep large bags of food good for long periods of time.
AIR, heat and moistureare the biggest "destroyers" of dry dog food...like with human food putting it in the freezer preserves the fat used as the presrvative in the dry food...the fat is what causes the food to go rancid, and fat doesnt like being warm...

i personally freeze food, i buy a 40lb bag and freeze 1/2 of it...
generaly good quality food will last years if frozen quickly after opening (the moment the bag is opend and the food exposed to air is when the "aging" process starts).
if you vacume pack it itlllast even longer, and vacume + freezer itll last almost indefinatly) obviously use common sense if your bag of frozen doesnt look right dont use it, but ive been frezing for years and it works perfectly assuming the food isnt exposed to any additional moisture. (ie bag gets wet before freezing)

Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 AM

24,839 posts, read 35,070,008 times
We live in Michigan and our outdoor door dog's food is kept in an unheated pole building.

I am sure it freezes.

It has very little moisture.

Never had a problem with it.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 AM

Thanks to all...Maybe I contact the maker and ask to be safe...

Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,447,724 times
you can call but i doubt as a consumer youd get a straight answer...

the fact of the matter is anything can be safely preserved in the freezer if you know how.
the reason dog food goes rancid is the animal fats that are used as preservatives go bad when exposed to air...

moisture in itself is not a problem...its moisture combined air and temperate climate that causes mold growth...
mold doesnt grow in a "healthy" (properly working) freezer...
and the animal fats used to preserve the food cant go rancid in a properly working freezer.

i was told by multiple companies of some of the better brands that dry fod can be stored and fed safely for up to 2 years past sell by date in the freezer.
if you can vacume pack and freeze it itll last indefinatly...

freezing dry dog food also kills any potential flour bugs, mites ect that are frequently picked up and transported through dog food, flour, sugar ect...

Freezing Dry Dog Food
good article.

i was personally tol dog food storage goes like this:
in bag or none air tight container, a bag of good quality dog food will be "good" for up to 4 weeks.
in a "air tight" container you increase the shelf life by 2 weeks (giving about 6 weeks) (simply because their is still air in the container and the food is being exposed to moisture and air everytime you open it.
in the refrigerator you can get anyting from 8 weeks to 4 months out of it depending on what kind of container it is in...
in the freezer an opends bag will last aproximatly 8 months, kibble stored in "air tight" containers (ie ziplock bags) will give you abut a year, and unpoend bags will store 2 years...

now if we bring a vacume sealer into the equation, vacume sealed at room temperature will give you about a year, vacume sealed in the refridge about 2 years, and vacume selaed in the freezer will last indefinatly. (wer talking all air has been removed form packaging vaume sealed not just "air tight")

Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks Foxy...I do have a vacume sealing machine too...

Old 09-11-2016, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 20,567 times
I wish they would put more details on the bags regarding storage and use by date not everyone has a computer

Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,399,194 times
FYI, I'll second foxywench's advice. The fats in dry food can and do go rancid. Molds can grow. The fat will go rancid whether or not moisture is present. Mold needs moisture to grow.

A freezer is a very DRY place, because the moisture gets locked up as ice. You still want the food to be in an airtight container (even a ziplock bag will do) to prevent any moisture from condensing and then freezing on the dry food. That moisture could be a problem once you thaw the food (mold and spoilage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs