U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM

52 posts, read 99,627 times

Advertisements

Bailey is 7 months old (will be 8 months in February). I got her in October 2011 and she hasn't had any accidents in the house since early November. And has never had an accident in her crate since I've gotten her. Whenever she has to go she goes to the door.

She holds it about 4-5 hrs during the work week and sleeps 8 hours with no problems.

However...lately she's been going to the door like every 30 mins to an hour when I'm at home. I play fetch with her in the house so if she's been running back and forth and drinking water of course she'll have to pee. But after 30 minutes of just roaming, staring out the window and watching me cook she has to pee? She'll literally go to the door every hour when I'm at home with or without drinking water or being very active.

Once outside she doesn't pee immediately. I have to tell her to "hurry up". She kinda takes her sweet time. When she does pee, it isn't a lot. Not like in the morning when I first take her out or after holding it while I'm at work.

Should I have her checked or does she just want to be outside? She does pee each time (99% of time) but between the hours of say 6-10pm I'll take her out about 4 times. Is that normal for nearly 8 months old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM

3,416 posts, read 5,143,738 times
You might want to take a urine sample in to your vet, she might have a UTI and if you've ever had one you know that it often feels like you really gotta go but don't actually have much in you.

If you can't catch a sample (and get it to the vet fairly soon afterward) than take the whole dog in and let them get it. It does cost a bit more that way though.

Hope it's something simple like this, not some weird new behavior/game that she's come up with.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,840,407 times
id get her checked just to be on the safe side...
it very wellcould be her training you. (my 14 week old pup has learnt if he stands infront of me and "squats" ill take him out...)
now once i get him outside, he goes buck wild running jumping playing...he doesnt actually HAVE to go...he just wants out and knows that the action of acting likehes going to pee on my floor means were going to go outside.

now at least hell make up for the fake out by actually peeing but its just a dribble...you can tell he realy didnt need to go out...
BUT i took him to the vet anyway because "sudden" changes in potty habbits can be an early sign of something else going on and its always best to rule out health issues first

Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 PM

895 posts, read 2,552,538 times
I'm sorry I'm laughing but our cocker who soon will be 8 does this go by door, go out sit the porch and day dream, maybe go pee but then comes in for a cookie..When he is board he will do this as long we allow it..You are most definitely getting some training...
I agree a trip to vet might be in order too
Enjoy her

Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,827,673 times
all youngsters, human and canine like to manipulate us. She very well may be taking advantage of your sweet nature. I had a bichon who hated to be outside except for all bathroom duties. If she did not pee soon enough I would stand outside with her until she did and she soon learned to "fake pee" just so she could go back inside. Kinda the reverse of what Bailey is doing.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM

52 posts, read 99,627 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. Guess I'll get to the vet. Are there any other symptoms of a UTI beside frequent peeing? The fact that she doesn't go immediately when we get outside makes me think she's just trying to go outside.

Also after about 930ish she's done with "door duty". She winds down and lays on her pillow. Even on the weekends when I'm up later she doesn't do that. But a vet visit would be better safe than sorry. :-/

Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,590,184 times
You can get a urine spec on a female dog with an old plastic ice cube tray. I did and it showed my spaniel mix was spilling a lot of sugar. She needed her insulin increased. Best wishes with the pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or