U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 PM

436 posts, read 1,340,167 times

Advertisements

Our new dog has been getting into the cat food. Besides the obvious, how can I get him to stop? We usually put the cat food into the other room with the cats and the door is closed so the dog can't get at it. When the door is open, DS is usually in there to keep an eye on it, but sometimes he'll come out and forget, and it in an instant the cat food is gone. He knows he's not supposed to be eating it because when he's caught, his ears and tail go down and he slinks away. How can I train him to stop eating the cat food?

The dog has also started shunning his own food. He'll look at it and walk away. Sometimes he'll scoop up a mouthfull and bring it somewhere else and put it on the floor. Sometimes he'll eat it from there, sometimes not. I think he doesn't want it because he prefers the cat food. I know the cat food is not good for him so I bought a newer, higher quality kind of dog food that I am going to start weaning him over to. Any other suggestions?

ETA, we also caught him removing cat feces from the litter box. I don't know if he was intending on eating it or not, but we have also started putting it away but again, sometimes someone is not looking. Any suggestions for that too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,694,189 times
I had a cat that would only eat dog food. Mighty dog. I don't know what the difference is anyway. Isn't there a pet food for both cats and dogs? I never worried about my cat eating dog food.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,243,787 times
The main difference is that cats need taurine supplementation in their food, and the thinking was that dogs do not, so dog food was not nutritionally complete for them. Now some dog food manufacturers are starting to add taurine so there is less difference in those brands, but I still wouldn't let a cat eat dog food. Cat food is liable to be too high in calories for a dog to eat. Maybe you could get a baby gate for the door.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,786,752 times
We have to feed our cats up high- on the bathroom counter and we have to isolate the cats when the dogs eat. The grass is always greener on the other side. My Oscar cat got very ill with frequent UTI and I'm convinced it was because he was eating dog food and Wellness cat food. We stopped both and he hasn't been sick since.

It is not healthy to dog to eat cat poop either and you will have to keep him out of it. I think all dogs would eat cat poop if they could get away with it. Once your dog knows the only thing to eat is what is in his supper dish, he won't wait till there is cat food or cat poop.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,473,895 times
We have had to put the cat food up very high as our hound dog will eat ANYTHING and loves cat food. It just has to be out of reach at all times. The breed of dog makes a huge difference too. Our Terrier/Aussie mix never was interested, but the hound? everything, all at once, always. He will eat till he explodes if left on his own.

When it comes to cat poop, even our vet says it's like caviar to some dogs. That has to be trained out of them. It's a 'leave it' command that has to be enforced until he is no longer interested. There are supplements but our experience is that if your dog is a poop eater, he will always be unless you train him otherwise. Oh, and if he keeps getting worms? (you'll see it in his poops)He has been eating 'caviar' again! Good luck!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 PM

5,558 posts, read 8,900,643 times
Yes, dogs will eat cat food in its raw form, after it has been partially digested and "spit up" and after it has been excreeted as waste from the cats behind..... Oh, and they will lick your face too!

I've got six dogs and two cats (Chairman Meow and Flea Taxi). What id do is leave the cat food in a "food Bistro" on the kitchen counter where the dogs can't get to it.

I use the "Clever cat" litter boxes

These boxes keep the dogs from their "all you can eat cat poop buffet".

As far as when the cats upchuck? The way I look at it the dogs save me the trouble of grabbing a paper towel to clean up.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,694,189 times
That litter box looks awful, IMO. No way can it be aired out. Would you like to have a toilet just as big as you are and not aired out? Plus the cat has to jump down into it, some enclosed boxes have a side opening they can step into. I can see the dogs can get into the other boxes though.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 PM

16,600 posts, read 14,081,890 times
Cat food is dangerous for dogs to eat frequently. It is high in a variety of minerals that can cause kidney problems.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,196,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
We have had to put the cat food up very high as our hound dog will eat ANYTHING and loves cat food. It just has to be out of reach at all times. The breed of dog makes a huge difference too. Our Terrier/Aussie mix never was interested, but the hound? everything, all at once, always. He will eat till he explodes if left on his own.

When it comes to cat poop, even our vet says it's like caviar to some dogs. That has to be trained out of them. It's a 'leave it' command that has to be enforced until he is no longer interested. There are supplements but our experience is that if your dog is a poop eater, he will always be unless you train him otherwise. Oh, and if he keeps getting worms? (you'll see it in his poops)He has been eating 'caviar' again! Good luck!
Wow, I hear ya. I have a beagle. My first and last hound. She is something else with the cat food and cat poo. I think a lot of her weight gain is from the cat food. My collie never really bothered with it but my beagle? Oh man...she goes for it any chance she gets! We started putting the cat food up on the window seat because she is just too darn sneaky. She waits till I get distracted, actually tip toes (yes Im totally serious) over to the cat bowls and then devours. The devouring part is what gets her busted. I don't know if there is really a way to stop the dog from eating cat food. In their mind, its food. From my understanding its bad because cat food has a lot more protein in it.

The cat box was a big issue. BLAH. So we got a small dog door and installed it on an interior door that leads to our furnace room where we keep the cat boxes. This way the cats can go do their biz without the dog getting a snack. It made life so much easier and its kind of cute too. We didnt use the locking flap in the center (shown in the pic). We just removed that. It does come with a clear flap but my one cat refused to push her head to open it to go through. I just didnt want an ugly hole in the door or an ugly doggy door. So I thought this was cute.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 AM

5,558 posts, read 8,900,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That litter box looks awful, IMO. No way can it be aired out. Would you like to have a toilet just as big as you are and not aired out? Plus the cat has to jump down into it, some enclosed boxes have a side opening they can step into. I can see the dogs can get into the other boxes though.
I have been using them for five years now with no problems. The cats figured out how to get in it right away and I haven't noticed any difference in odor.

I use three boxes for two cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or