Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times

Advertisements

Well there has been more doggy drama recently on my turf.

My fiance and I do the best we can with our 2 dogs -letting them in when they start making a fuss, cleaning up the poop in the yard, you know. Yesterday it was exactly as I had feared. The animal control patrol shows up at my door and wants to talk to me. My fiance and I now have an official court date to go to over this.

And all because SOMEONE in the neighborhood wasn;t man enough to come over and talk to me, just call the police. Sad.

I'm thinking of getting one of those "no bark" machine dealeys....are they expensive?

Also the neighbors complained that the little dog got out of the fence and into her yard...I just saw Animal COntrol again....and my next door neighbor ratting me out. There is NO way that little dog could squeeze out form under the fence.

But back to the court date...will there be a fine? what happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Did you read the law I posted in your first post on this?

As for them not being man enough to come to you, read how many times people on this forum tell people NOT TO confront the neighbor in person on such issues because the neighbor could be a nut case. So the common popular thinking is that its not a good idea to do what you wished they would do. For me personally, I will always attempot to speak directly with the person and if they shop they are a holes or nuts, thats when I leave it to the authorities..
But your neighbors have written to you on a couple of occassions about this, haven't they? So this should not be a surprise that the dogs are causing some issues within the neighborhood. And if I remeber correct, one of them getting out was aslo one of their complaints.

Do what do you do? go to court and telkl it to the judge. If the jude says your guilty, according to your local law (if thats what they issued the citation for) you can be fined. How much is up to the judge although there probably is some type of fine structure.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Did you read the law I posted in your first post on this?

As for them not being man enough to come to you, read how many times people on this forum tell people NOT TO confront the neighbor in person on such issues because the neighbor could be a nut case. So the common popular thinking is that its not a good idea to do what you wished they would do. For me personally, I will always attempot to speak directly with the person and if they shop they are a holes or nuts, thats when I leave it to the authorities..
But your neighbors have written to you on a couple of occassions about this, haven't they? So this should not be a surprise that the dogs are causing some issues within the neighborhood. And if I remeber correct, one of them getting out was aslo one of their complaints.

Do what do you do? go to court and telkl it to the judge. If the jude says your guilty, according to your local law (if thats what they issued the citation for) you can be fined. How much is up to the judge although there probably is some type of fine structure.
PF, I read your post, seems there was a fine involved if the dog barked more than 15 minutes, day or night unless it was being teased, people were approaching the property, etc.

The rest of us posted suggestions on how to "fix" the problems he was having because a barking dog was just a part of the issues they mentioned.

There was potty training one and also the escape artist.

Perhaps the OP needs to go back to the OP and re-read what we suggested and you posted...

...just saying...

Edit: So what would you do?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
first of all ive seen a large dog squeeze through a 6" gap, so yes a small dog can squeese under a fence if its a few inches underneath (my parents chihuahuas frequently squezes under the back gate to get into the chiken yard and thats mabe a 2" gap and shes 5lbs)...

you were goving lots of good sugestions...
mine...how about you simply dont leave them alone outside...not difficult...and patch up any gaps in the fence where it doesnt meet the ground.

as to what could happen now...that all depends, it could simply be a judge warning...it could be a fine...

the anti bark deices are hit and miss..they work for some dogs, dont work for others...and for an outdoor unit there quite expensive. shaock and bark collars are also hit an miss, most are manual so youd have to be out there to correct the dogs anyway (and in that case theres much better methods) and the shock and bark collars that are vibrations ensitve tend to go off for no aparent reason (ie the dog coughs or moves funny or has an itch) and the oens set off by sound are often either not sensitve enough or overly sensitive and go off when ANOTHER dog barks, which teaches your dog nothing...

Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
Get a Citronella anti-bark collar. The shock collars are inhumane, PLEASE do not get one. The Citronella collars are effective and merely spray a lemon-scented spray when the dog barks. Citronella collars are available online or at Petsmart.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
While I agree with foxy that it's not a good idea to leave your dogs out unattended, I can suggest an anti-bark device.

Artie is a barker. In the morning, we go out back as early as 5.30am. But I'd never let him bark before 9am. I didn't think it would work but I bought him a citronella collar. He barks? He gets a shpritz in the face of the lemony goodness. It took him two barks to figure it out. Now, even if there's no citronella in the collar or if the battery is dead (or if I forget to set it to ON), when the collar is on him, he knows not to bark. I never thought it would work for him -- he's VERY stubborn -- so I now call it "The Miracle Collar."

ETA: Ha! I was typing while Ulysses61 was responding. So, yeah... ditto.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
DandJ and Ulysses6, I not only suggest that collar in the first OP post, I gave them a link. I had remembered the story about Artie and how tenacious he can be, so I suggested it.

Foxy and I aggred and every point in the original post, too.

Pacific Flights went so far as to look up the original OP laws regarding barking dogs and posted it...

In my post above (#3), I even gave the OP the link back to their original post.

What else can we do?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
DandJ and Ulysses6, I not only suggest that collar in the first OP post, I gave them a link. I had remembered the story about Artie and how tenacious he can be, so I suggested it.

Foxy and I aggred and every point in the original post, too.

Pacific Flights went so far as to look up the original OP laws regarding barking dogs and posted it...

In my post above (#3), I even gave the OP the link back to their original post.

What else can we do?
I didn't click on the link to the other post. I'll go slap myself as soon as I finish typing this.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
something tells me OP will continue to let the dogs bother the neighbors and will not take steps - so patiently described to her- to fix this. The dogs will be the one to pay in the end. Somebody will haul them to the pound and be done with them. It happens.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I have these idiot yuppy neighors who are D.I.N.K.S on top of it (double income-no kids)

They moved in like 10 years ago. I fixed his AC for him, I helped him fix his underground sprinkling lines because he hit them like 6 times when he installed his privacy fence. I listen to his boring stories every time he accosts me in my yard when I'm trying to mow or fertilize.

I've always been good to him. They have a dog and they had it debarked. I've always felt bad for the little guy. Seems bad enough we take their love life away from them, but to take a dog's bark away I think is just sad.

Well, my little guy (Bichon about 18 lbs) likes to get his bark on occassionally just like any dog. I try to get him is as quick as possible and scold him for barking at the same school bus every day

Well, he calls me on the cellphone. Seems that my little dog's barking for like 45 seconds a day is bothering him

Now I know why I'm the only neighor who likes these people or who has been nice to them. I finally see the light.

So a week ago I'm out with my puppy and he stops over. I told him I was giving her barking lessons. He didn't see the humor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs