U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 PM

251 posts, read 272,215 times
Default Does our dog have PTSD?

Not sure if there really is such a thing as PTSD in dogs, but if there is, our dog seems to have it....and for no apparent reason.
She's never been through anything "traumatic."

About 7 years ago, when she was 4, she started behaving very irrationally.
She follows my husband obsessively and incessantly and will NOT leave his side. EVER. If he simply gets up to get a drink of water, she's at his heels. If he gets up, just to walk to a different side of the room. She HAS to go with. He could just get up and walk in circles and she will follow him.

When someone walks into a room where he is, she immediately starts nibbling the closest piece of furniture like the corner of a bed mattress or the couch, while simultaneously growling or making some weird noise.

She's a border collie/shepherd mix, so we used to attribute her behavior to her herding instincts. But, it's getting increasingly RIDICULOUS.
If my husband is home and i try to take her out to go potty, she will NOT go. She will pull on the leash so hard that her collar comes off.

It's actually stressing my husband out, since he cannot go anywhere without her under his feet. he'll try to go outside on the patio just to get a break from her. she will lay right at the door until he comes back in.

Like I said, she's never been through anything traumatic. There was nothing significant about the time this all started either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,710 posts, read 14,320,073 times
Yes military and rescue dogs do get PTSD, especially dogs in war. Some have to be retired.

Some breeds are very co-dependant, like Bichon. I had one for 16 years who followed me everywhere just like your dog. I couldn't even go to the bathroom without him poking his head in the door.

Not sure why this has happened to your border collie but I would suggest more exercise and fun games. I know this breed needs a "job" to be happy. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 PM

12,133 posts, read 11,056,574 times
Artie is with me 24/7 since I work from home. He follows me everywhere. I haven't been to the bathroom without him since May 2007. I asked his previous owner if he was always like this. No, he wasn't. It's ME that's the issue. It's Artie's need to protect me.

OK, so nothing happened to her, your dog... but did anything happen to him, your husband, that she could have seen and feels the need to protect him now?

Just a thought...

Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,377,260 times
Sounds like she's bored and not getting enough exercise to me.

The nibbling on furniture is a huge clue.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM

She's a sickly dog with congestive heart failure and edema, so she's not really big on exercise. She can't walk for more than 5 minutes without stopping in pain.
As far as the nibbling, it's only when someone else walks into the room where my husband is and she becomes very anxious and feels threatened.
I cannot even come into the room without her standing guard and growling.

At the time that this started nothing had happened to my husband either.
It's just frustrating for everyone involved because she's underfoot and sometimes her behavior even scares me.

It seems like all her symptoms are similar to PTSD, but there's no reason for it.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,710 posts, read 14,320,073 times
she is in pain and looks to your husband for comfort and love. I can understand that. pain will make us all change our behavior and dogs aren't different.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM

That thought did cross my mind, but when this started she was perfectly healthy.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 PM

399 posts, read 304,702 times
My pit Tyson does the same thing with me. If I walk 10 feet he has to follow. He cries when I'm behind a door waiting for me. He has to sleep next to me and thank goodness my wife is understanding. When I am lying in bed watching tv and someone comes in the room he will put his hackles up and stand wagging his tail. He is very protective in a sense. If my wife raises her voice at all which she seldom does, he will walk right up to her wagging his tail but he is stern with her and in his own way wants her to stop. He is now 13 years old but very clingy. If I am sick in bed he somehow knows it and no one can get too close without him paying close attention to them.
Your dog could be acting out of her own illness. They can't tell you they don't feel good and maybe she is lacking something or in pain and she feels comforted when she's with your husband. I would ask the vet what the symptoms may suggest. Good Luck.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:01 PM

7,548 posts, read 8,078,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Sounds like she's bored and not getting enough exercise to me.

The nibbling on furniture is a huge clue.
yep.... even if her physical activity is limited, mental activity is HUGELY important to border collies.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
Not sure if there really is such a thing as PTSD in dogs, but if there is, our dog seems to have it....and for no apparent reason.
She's never been through anything "traumatic."

About 7 years ago, when she was 4, she started behaving very irrationally.
She follows my husband obsessively and incessantly and will NOT leave his side. EVER. If he simply gets up to get a drink of water, she's at his heels. If he gets up, just to walk to a different side of the room. She HAS to go with. He could just get up and walk in circles and she will follow him.

When someone walks into a room where he is, she immediately starts nibbling the closest piece of furniture like the corner of a bed mattress or the couch, while simultaneously growling or making some weird noise.

She's a border collie/shepherd mix, so we used to attribute her behavior to her herding instincts. But, it's getting increasingly RIDICULOUS.
If my husband is home and i try to take her out to go potty, she will NOT go. She will pull on the leash so hard that her collar comes off.

It's actually stressing my husband out, since he cannot go anywhere without her under his feet. he'll try to go outside on the patio just to get a break from her. she will lay right at the door until he comes back in.

Like I said, she's never been through anything traumatic. There was nothing significant about the time this all started either.
welcome to my world .... x 4 .....

Old 02-02-2012, 04:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,199,774 times
is it possible that your husband is ill?

other than that I would agree with the opinion that she needs more brain activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs