U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 AM

16,647 posts, read 26,615,464 times

Advertisements

This is one of my "issues" with Artie.

When he was with his previous person, before I adopted him in 2007, he would stay home all day while she went to work. So, clearly, he could hold his "stuff" for at least 8 hours.

Now that he's with me, it's a different story. I work from home, we have a fenced-in back yard, and I let him out a gazillion times per day. He doesn't pee every time -- he couldn't possibly manufacture that much urine! -- but he does pee much more often than every 8 hours, that's for sure.

At night, he sleeps 9 hours before *I* wake up. (I'm usually the one who wakes first... and then I let him out.)

But the daytime thing... I know that I could limit his outings into the back yard, but I love for him to have fresh air and time to run around. However, I wonder if I've retrained his bladder to only be able to hold it for 4 or 5 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 PM

706 posts, read 1,799,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

sure 80lbs is "heavy" if your used to small breeds, but we dont knwo the dogs age or breed so cant decide one way or another if the dog is "heavy" and it has absolutly nothing to do with the issue at hand unles the excessive drinking is potentially a symptom of diabetese in which canse weight can agrivate such an issue.
I only mentioned the weight as a reference point, since I believe that smaller species of mammals urinate more frequently. She is of unknown age, having been abused and abandoned, she was quite old when I got her 4 years ago, and now is lethargic and sleeps a lot, but seems to be in good general health with no known issues. Most closely resembles a black lab. Vet has never shggested she is overweight. Urination and water consumption has been unchaged for years, with no other symptoms of diabetes.

The pee schedule has not been of concern to me, but acquaintances have noticed the infrequency and paucity of urination, and suggested that she might be enduring a discomfort that she is not signalling to me, and that I should take her out sooner or more often.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 928 times
Default My dog won't drink

Our six-year-old, 90-lb, female pitbull almost never drinks and seldom pees. She seems to have forgotten she is house-broken and pees around the house sometimes. She is still v. skittish (she's a rescue dog who must have been abused) and sometimes displays pressure incontinence when she is being scolded. Any ideas?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 PM

483 posts, read 455,510 times
Ours hold it for around 10 hours at night. During the work week, they hold it for around 7hrs(I come home at 3pm) and if we are going out on weekends we try not to be gone longer then 6 hours. I feel bad making them hold it, even if they could.
Both of them pee 4x a day and poop twice. But that's their schedule; In the morning, when I come home, their evening walk and bedtime potty. When they are out at the park they pee on things until they out of pee though lol

I know our beagle mix can hold it for much much longer, she pretty much refuses to go in the rain and has held it all day. The bigger one however, while housetrained, would probably not hesitate to just go if he needed too(he's not nearly as...house savy as the other one), so we don't leave them alone for too long.

I do notice that why we are gone they also don't drink water, but drink once they come in from being let out. Its like they know lol

Old 02-06-2015, 02:39 PM

1,056 posts, read 957,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
I have an 80 pound dog, who never seems to urgently need to pee.

When I take her out in the morning, after maybe 10 or 12 hours, she doesn't even seem urgent. She doesn't even act like she wants to go out. Thgen, when she's out, she'll run around and smell things for several minutes before she even thinks about her bladder. Then, it's just a little squirt here and a little squirt there. During the day, she never expresses a need or desire to go out.

She seems to drink a prodigious amount of water, maybe a quart or two a day. Where is it all going?
Adult labs can easily hold it for 10 to 12 hours if they want to. If the dog's potty and drinking habits haven't changed then what you're describing sounds like normal outdoor marking. My 4 year old male lab does this. Will hold it all day with no desire to go out, then come walk time will sniff and squirt a small stream about every 50 to 100 yards on whatever smells to him like it needs to be peed on. This goes on for a mile or two and by the end of the walk his bladder is empty. Once home he'll drink a ton of water to start refilling his bladder for the next walk. My dog will do his best to not pee in our yard as he considers that a waste of perfectly good pee and would rather pee on the hydrant down the block instead.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 410 times
Default Dogs are omnivores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Lady-Bug almost 1 yr old ...she pees 3 times a day poos 1 time every other day! But then she eats what I eat! No crap dog food LOL
It's terrible that too many people don't share some of their food with their dog. Dogs are omnivores and enjoy all kinds of foods as humans!! Food to dogs is as diamonds and gold to humans. It's a REAL was to bond with them in showing them the love we have for them. Sadie gets high quality dog food as well as some of the foods we eat that she loves!! It's a special time and way to bond in showing our love for her. YES we know the TYPICAL Vet advice on the matter. Which in reality is cold bogus advice in the sense of living a enjoyable pleasurable life for all species... Just some "food" for thoughts!!

Old 05-28-2017, 12:59 PM

8,131 posts, read 11,034,965 times
We have two dogs n the house, which is equipped with dog doors for easy entrance/exit for the dogs. The 45 lb pit-lab mix pees about every 4-5 hours, The 5-lb chihuahua doesn't seem to need to pee at all.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,644,062 times
Farmer has a 5 gallon expandable bladder, but once it is full, it drains! In the morning he can sometimes pee for a full minute. He usually pees 4 times a day, and likely has some water buffalo in his genetic past. Tuck pees twice in the morning and twice at night. His two pees are usually about 2-3 minutes apart, and he is not normally in a rush to get outside to pee. Both my males were neutered at 6 months, and both still squat to pee. Taffy is my "marker" and she lifts her leg (Terriers! They all want to be in charge!). She always pees on Farmer's pee, rarely pees on Tuck's pee, and then happily pees wherever and on whatever she thinks needs peeing on. Farmer drinks the most water, but normally only drinks AFTER a walk and a long pee. He drinks between 1/2 a quart and a quart when he drinks - water bowl is a two quart sauce pot, so it is easy to monitor how much he drinks at a time. Tuck and Taffy both drink small amounts all through the day, but normally don't drink in the evening. All three poop twice a day, each does one in the morning and and one in the evening. Having three mutts, it seems that each dog is a little different in potty habits, potty needs, and food and water intake - I suppose just like people are different in those ways too.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 AM

5,501 posts, read 8,829,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
if shes drinking alot of water and only peeing twice a day (or a dribble here and there) id have her checked out by the vet, a UTI can make a dog "hold it" (burns) and diabetes caused a dog to drink excessivly but not typically urinate...

diabetes is always my first concern in a dog who drinks alot but doesnt pee much.

my adult female goes pee on average 3-4 times a day, morning, lunch, dinner and before bed.
my adult male pees whenever possible but he marks lol.
and my 16 week old pup has to go 6-8 times a day
In my experience with two diabetic dogs they both drank a lot AND peed a LOT. In humans diabetes is the same; thirsty and frequent urination.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:47 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,119,924 times
Our 4 year old yorkie/poodle goes out in the morning -pee and poo, and usually doesn't want out until suppertime to pee or maybe another poo. Then she's good for the night.

Our coming-up 1 year old yorkie/poodle pees about 5 times/day, and poos two, rarely three times/day. Never needs out in the night. Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or