Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,354,059 times

Advertisements

Are pet adoption rules too restrictive? And is a pet store your only other option? « Heavenly Creatures

I've long said that some rescues are shooting themselves in the foot with their overly restrictive adoption policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 PM

675 posts, read 1,809,886 times
I agree, some rules are too strict so they discourage a lot of adopters.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,942,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Are pet adoption rules too restrictive? And is a pet store your only other option? « Heavenly Creatures

I've long said that some rescues are shooting themselves in the foot with their overly restrictive adoption policies.
I would say yes, many shelters and rescues are way too restrictive, but I understand why. We were looking to adopt through a shelter, but after being told the requirements (reference checks, background checks, in-home visits, landlord discussion since we rent, etc.) we ended up finding a dog at a pet store that was about to be sent away for being too old (6mo old vs mostly 2mo old dogs). Sure, ultimately we supported a mill somewhere, but when a shelter wants so much information it is ridiculous, since we would have been denied since we don't technically have a yard (its not fenced but we use it for our dog).

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,013,592 times
Great article! It's such a fine line to match the right people to the right dog. I'm so glad the rescue we got Sophie from had faith that we give her a good life even though we were in a little over our heads with her issues. She's turned into a great dog, we've become better people, it wasn't a perfect fit in the beginning but it is now.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,354,059 times
Wow. I've never heard of a shelter going to such lengths with checks for dogs! You must live up north. In the south you walk in, pick you dog and go home. For my rescue I did home visits to make sure the dog was adjusting to the new home well, make sure there wasn't an overly used kennel in the back yard that would tell me the dog is being left out there much too long, that the home owners have hidden electric cords and such in case they're adopting a chewer, etc. We do run them through a national database of dog abusers, but it's not like it's an FBI background check. I don't care if you were speeding on your way to church, just want to make sure you've not had a history of animal abuse or neglect. I NEVER required fenced yards or home ownership. If you are renting I do make sure with the landlord that you could have an indoor dog. I do that with the shelter as well. It doesn't make sense to send a dog to a place it's now allowed to be. Same with the background check and vet reference. But those are the only things I check with adopters at the shelter - vet reference, background for animal abuse / neglect, and confirm with a landlord they can have a pet if they're renting.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,600,567 times
One of the rescue groups I volunteer with goes follows all the steps. After pouring their hearts, money and time in dogs that come to us with broken limbs,emaciated, full of heart worms & tape worms, with mange, fleas and ticks......it is so important to the foster parents and all the folks that donate time and money that the dogs they adopt out go to families with a history of vetting their animals, understanding dogs and being committed to training and exercise, and either owning their homes or having landlord permission to have a dog. Still, with all the checking dogs sometimes are returned for all the usual reasons people need to rehome their dogs and often they are behind in their vetting a bit or have untreated illnesses or injuries.....

I do believe we "rescuers" can become over zealous at times. But, again, after working with a neglected or abused dog for 6 months in my home .... a dog that came to me sick,shy and dispirited and is now happy, healthy and balanced.....I need to be reassured there is a strong likelihood his life will be wonderful going forward. Don't know how to do that other than interviewing the family, visiting their home, researching how prior/present pets are treated with their friends, family & vets, and making sure their landlords don't discover the new pet and threaten eviction.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,346,421 times
On the other hand - We just had a 15 month old boxer - very playful, high energy - adopted out to someone who is about 350 miles away. References checked out OK and a local group did a home check for us. The foster mom, who'd spend hours on the phone with the adopter had a gut feeling that this what not a good match but we had no other applications for this guy.

So this past Saturday they took the dog most of the way and someone from the other rescue was kind enough to do the other leg of the transport.

On Sunday, less than 24 hours after getting the dog she calls to say that it has to go "Right NOW" because is wants to kill her 4-1/2 year old son.
"What did he do?" asked the foster mom. "Well there's something wrong with him, he totally ignored the cat." was the reply.

What did he do to your son? she again asked. "He crouched down with his front legs out and his behind up in the air, just waiting to pounce on my son and kill him."

The foster mom tried to explain that it was a play bow and he just wanted to meet the boy. She asked if the dog had growled or raised his lip at all. No.

This pup is so outgoing and playful but nothing the foster mom said could get through to the woman.

So the local rescue went and got him, took him to a kennel to board until Wednesday when the foster mom can drive all the way up there since we can't find anyone to drive a leg on such short notice and get the dog back.

This woman begged and begged for this dog and swore it was the only one she wanted.

And people wonder why rescue groups can sometimes be difficult to adopt from.

Had a call last night from someone with a beagle momma with 6 beagle puppies and wants us to take them. All our foster homes are full and even if we had a single opening we currently have two beagles that have been with us for over a year - just can't move them and none of the bigger groups that we work with are interested in the two either - they just want the cute young puppies that we could adopt out locally if we just had a foster home for them. So we give them the cream of the crop in terms of adoptable pups - after putting at least some money in to basic medical stuff, which many of them are not willing to reimburse us for.

So we subsidize the big city No Kill Shelter in order to save those young pups and they get the high praise for being such a great organization.

OK, rant over.

Gotta go set some traps for some feral cats down the road and get them to the clinic tomorrow for TNR.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,942,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The foster mom, who'd spend hours on the phone with the adopter had a gut feeling that this what not a good match but we had no other applications for this guy.
But you guys had a feeling this was not a good match, no amount of paperwork, background checks, home visits, etc. were going to change it.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,342,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
On the other hand - We just had a 15 month old boxer - very playful, high energy - adopted out to someone who is about 350 miles away. References checked out OK and a local group did a home check for us. The foster mom, who'd spend hours on the phone with the adopter had a gut feeling that this what not a good match but we had no other applications for this guy.

So this past Saturday they took the dog most of the way and someone from the other rescue was kind enough to do the other leg of the transport.

On Sunday, less than 24 hours after getting the dog she calls to say that it has to go "Right NOW" because is wants to kill her 4-1/2 year old son.
"What did he do?" asked the foster mom. "Well there's something wrong with him, he totally ignored the cat." was the reply.

What did he do to your son? she again asked. "He crouched down with his front legs out and his behind up in the air, just waiting to pounce on my son and kill him."

The foster mom tried to explain that it was a play bow and he just wanted to meet the boy. She asked if the dog had growled or raised his lip at all. No.

This pup is so outgoing and playful but nothing the foster mom said could get through to the woman.

So the local rescue went and got him, took him to a kennel to board until Wednesday when the foster mom can drive all the way up there since we can't find anyone to drive a leg on such short notice and get the dog back.

This woman begged and begged for this dog and swore it was the only one she wanted.

And people wonder why rescue groups can sometimes be difficult to adopt from.

Had a call last night from someone with a beagle momma with 6 beagle puppies and wants us to take them. All our foster homes are full and even if we had a single opening we currently have two beagles that have been with us for over a year - just can't move them and none of the bigger groups that we work with are interested in the two either - they just want the cute young puppies that we could adopt out locally if we just had a foster home for them. So we give them the cream of the crop in terms of adoptable pups - after putting at least some money in to basic medical stuff, which many of them are not willing to reimburse us for.

So we subsidize the big city No Kill Shelter in order to save those young pups and they get the high praise for being such a great organization.

OK, rant over.

Gotta go set some traps for some feral cats down the road and get them to the clinic tomorrow for TNR.
The play-bow thing is so stupid it would be funny if it didn't mean a dog having to come back.
Helping the no-kill while getting all the disdain? I hear ya. It really does get discouraging. Not as discouraging as those dogs not getting homes would be though.
I've been meaning to tell you, awesome job with the ferals. That is NOT easy!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM

184 posts, read 700,764 times
there's a pretty big difference between a potential adopter who clearly knows nothing about the animal they want to adopt and gives you that "don't do it" gut feeling... and a potential adopter who has experience with the animal they want to adopt and has carefully planned everything from meal and walk schedules to training to vet care, then turning them down because they live in an apartment, or plan to put a dog in an appropriately sized crate when it's home alone, or they have a job and can't be home with the animal 24/7...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs