U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,793,130 times

Advertisements

When it was just Bailey and me, she traveled around quite a bit with me.... visited friends in Omaha, Ohio, North Texas, family in Houston, friends in Brenham, etc. etc. etc. ..... i hired a pet sitter to care for the kitties......

now i have bailey and dave and roxie and poquito..... i can't see me hitting the road with all four.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,100,369 times
We always traveled with our lab, but he's way too old for that now. He's not just a senior dog, he is 16! He'd have a hard time walking after being in the car too long, even with hourly breaks to stretch his old bones. He'd also be a nervous wreck whereever we went, pacing and restless. Nope, no traveling with an ancient old dog. Not possible when they get to a certain age with certain health problems.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,456,580 times
Not an old dog but a 25 year old cat and we haven't gone anywhere for about 3 years now and that was only for a night and even that one time we worried. Hey, this old girl kitty has lived a very long time and I for one can give up some away time to see her safely through to her end. She deserves that much. She has always been there for us!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,192,445 times
Our chow mix went on her last vacation when she was 14. I was proud of how well she kept up and enjoyed herself, but I knew she wouldn't be up to travelling much longer. We took one trip without the dogs, only about 4 days, after that, because a family member was able to stay with them. After that I wasn't willing to leave her. She was just too dependent on us.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM

857 posts, read 1,772,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Not an old dog but a 25 year old cat and we haven't gone anywhere for about 3 years now and that was only for a night and even that one time we worried. Hey, this old girl kitty has lived a very long time and I for one can give up some away time to see her safely through to her end. She deserves that much. She has always been there for us!
25 years old incredible!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
25 years old incredible!
It is! That's awesome! I had a peekapoo who lived for 22 years.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 AM

399 posts, read 744,582 times
We have 2 pits 14 and 13 and took them to Maine last year. Once they got there they loved it as does everyone who crosses that bridge but the drive was another story. It's difficult to leave them at home as well because my daughters (3) tend to forget about them which makes me worry about them the whole time I am away. So now we do not travel much at all. They just mean too much to me.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,452,077 times
Me and my hubby take separate vacations if we go away (which we usually don't) or we stay home. We have 2 dogs and 2 senior cats. If my one cat wasn't diabetic, I would have someone come watch the cats and take the dogs on vacation. In the past we took our dog on vacation and found pet friendly hotels. Found a cabin up in Maine too, pet friendly of course. My hubby didn't enjoy eating out in the car and not being able to do things like other people without dogs, but I had the best vacation that trip. As long as they're with me or my hubby, then I feel okay. I won't leave them with anyone else.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,456,580 times
Yes, having my 25 year old cat makes me feel blessed! She amazes me. I use to be in rescue---I still volunteer at the spay neuter clinics. My old lady cat was one of a litter that the mothers milk had dried up and the kittens all died but her and her brother. I brought them home and hand fed them from 2 weeks old every 2 hours, wiped their bottoms and prayed. From being so ill and dehydrated her poor little tongue basically rotten off from the feaver but she pulled through--even with only a nub for a tongue. Both she and her brother grew to be healthy strong cats. Her brother passed away a few years ago at 19 years old. We moved 2,400 across the US 5 years ago with 8 of my rescued cats ranging in ages 9 years old for the youngest at the time and 20 years old for my old lady. I also had my Amazon Parrot sitting on the front seat in her carrier to help guide the way. Since our move I have lost one cat to a stroke and she was 18 years old. My Amazon died of cancer last year---and since we are all aging there will be many more sad days but until that happens we are a very happy family here even if we don't go places--we enjoy each other!
Not wanting to forget to mention we added a Basset Hound to our family who is now 6 years old. He loves the cats and sleeps and eats with them. A happy bunch!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,031,947 times
Years ago when I had an Am Staff (Happy) I took her everywhere. Well, I kenneled her once. She got kennel cough (yes, I had her vaccinated for it, didn't do any good) and she didn't eat while I was gone. I'd call her stubborn but tenacious was more her style. She just did not do well and I decided not to put her through that again. There are many pet friendly motel/hotels and vacations spots.

So...I would take her to Vegas. Let me explain...

I loved going to Lake Mead, in Henderson. I am not a big gambler. I love the water, turns out...so did she! I would rent a jet-ski and she'd sit on it with me. (I would buy her a doggy life vest) she would sit in front of me and off we'd go for a day on the lake. The looks we'd get...it was fun. She preferred the boat to the jet-ski (easier to walk around) and I would tie her off and let her jump in the lake. She was a strong swimmer, she could pull the boat, HA!

I miss that ole girl! We had so much fun together playing in the water. We did that for more than one vacation.

Motel 6, Super8, Best Western, Holiday Inn and more accept pets with some restrictions. (They prefer you don't leave the animal in the room unattended. Bring a kennel. Keep the barking to a minimum. No chasing houskeeping. I'm kidding about the last one.) You know, basic good manners.

There are places that want my business by accepting my pet. I still do my part by keeping my pets in line and cleaning up after them. I don't want to ruin a good thing!

...and now I just don't like leaving them. I know I can with family as stated in an earlier post but I prefer them with me. They LOVE to travel, so why not? I only get for such a short time anyway, I'd like to make the most of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or