U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 AM

18,947 posts, read 13,034,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
So happy I asked this question and glad to know so many people care for their pets so deeply to take good care of them in their old age.

I tire of reading stories of puppy mills and animal abuse I have come to rate people on how good a person they are by how they treat their animals.

Thank you kind people here.
I use to have, and still do to some degree a bad opinion of to many people with regards to animals. I know not everyone feels the same way I do but to harm any creature is beyond me. My husband use to be a hunter and has explained how they feel and I have come to deal with their feelings better but still it's not for me and out of respect for me he no longer hunts either. I do understand hunters better though and they are who and what they are and if it's to feed their family ok but a trophy hunter is still unacceptable to me. Now, pets and domestic critters there is no excuse for abuse and I will protect them at all lengths--and have! I have always wondered who the "animals" really are on this earth??!! I am very happy to find how many people do care and love animals and through the rescues I have worked at and the spay neuter clinic I now work at I have met some wonderful people. Moving from the west coast to the South has been a big eye-opener to me because in the rural areas here in the South the thinking and treatment of animals is difficult to change so starting with the youngins is the best place to start. It's a slow process but with people like you and me we can do this!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:27 AM

19,340 posts, read 15,039,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I use to have, and still do to some degree a bad opinion of to many people with regards to animals. I know not everyone feels the same way I do but to harm any creature is beyond me. My husband use to be a hunter and has explained how they feel and I have come to deal with their feelings better but still it's not for me and out of respect for me he no longer hunts either. I do understand hunters better though and they are who and what they are and if it's to feed their family ok but a trophy hunter is still unacceptable to me. Now, pets and domestic critters there is no excuse for abuse and I will protect them at all lengths--and have! I have always wondered who the "animals" really are on this earth??!! I am very happy to find how many people do care and love animals and through the rescues I have worked at and the spay neuter clinic I now work at I have met some wonderful people. Moving from the west coast to the South has been a big eye-opener to me because in the rural areas here in the South the thinking and treatment of animals is difficult to change so starting with the youngins is the best place to start. It's a slow process but with people like you and me we can do this!
Whoa......we eat what my husband kills in a hunt, or donate the meat. We do not eat bear but, others do.

The deer heard around us is huge.

With out management there would not be enough food for them.

In fact as I post, my hubby and other local hunters are out hunting coyotes.

Will we eat them....no!!!!

Hawks and others in the woods has to eat too.

More to the point many farm animals will live....to feed people.

BTW, have you ever seen a small child that was in a booster seat when a deer whet though a car windshield????

I will spare you the pictures and just tell you it was a closed casket funeral.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,924,307 times
I am so grateful for those people who can bring themselves to work in rescue. I have heard so many stories about "backward" attitudes in the South towards animals and am glad to hear they are changing, however slowly, and I'm sure the changes are due to people like the rescue person who moved there and is doing the good work.
My dogs do fine in the vet kennel, as far as I know, partly because they are used to the staff, plus, they are in a run or near each other, so there's not so much change. Again, I wouldn't board anyone who I thought was near their end, but with so many seniors, it's hard to know.
I just cancelled my summer vacation for this year- I'm too broke, and I knew that! But still put down a deposit from my trip/pilgrimage to Colorado. The pets will be glad to stay home! One thing I think of is, since my dogs have been in multiple/unknown homes and places (hoarding, the street, etc.) I know they enjoy their happy routines here, but the routines aren't lifelong, so I think they are flexible. My two dogs I had for 11 and 13 years, since puppyhood, did not like the one week we all went away for a week to Camp Gone to the Dogs. They were agitated, wouldn't eat, and I left a day early. They came home and gobbled food, rolled on their carpet, and were obviously thrilled to be home. The few times I kept them for a weekend at a friend's house (she and her two dogs) they seemed fine, although shy at her house.
Now that I have so many (maximum of six) and most of them have issues, I wouldn't consider a dog sitter. Kenneling six is a pricey thing, but I've decided that having my house be a home with my critters is more important than an afternoon or weekend away.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM

18,947 posts, read 13,034,833 times
[quote=Driller1;22938937]Whoa......we eat what my husband kills in a hunt, or donate the meat. We do not eat bear but, others do.

BTW, have you ever seen a small child that was in a booster seat when a deer whet though a car windshield????

I will spare you the pictures and just tell you it was a closed casket funeral.[/QU

Oh my yes, and I agree. Our neighbor lost his little boy because of hitting a dear tha talso went through the windshield so I know....I can't shoot them myself but I understand. I absolutely do not have any bad feelings about hunting the way you describe--none! I'm sorry to make you feel like I was saying that. I persoanlly cannot kill anything but the deer do need to be controlled. Coyotes have killed many of my personal pets in CA so I also understand controlling them. Please forgive me for this misunderstanding--I just love all animals but I am not stupid and do see both sides.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 PM

972 posts, read 1,168,087 times
Quote:
Does anyone not go on vacations because they won't leave their old dogs.

We won't leave them anymore.
We were the same way. The last time we left our old golden (15 at the time) in boarding, it nearly killed her. Something happened while we were gone and she couldn't stand up. When we picked her up she was a mess and had a large sore on her hip bone. She just never fully recovered.

The vet said there was nothing that could have been done anyway, except a bunch of expensive and stressful tests. She lived another year with our having to pick her up several times a day. No trips at all that year and I cut back the number of hours working outside of our home.

She was worth it though! She got up with me for every nighttime feeding for every child and kept us all company through every sickness or sadness or excitement and celebration for all 16 of her years.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 PM

40,271 posts, read 43,136,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
We were the same way. The last time we left our old golden (15 at the time) in boarding, it nearly killed her. Something happened while we were gone and she couldn't stand up. When we picked her up she was a mess and had a large sore on her hip bone. She just never fully recovered.
I'm so sorry this happened to your sweet golden. But thank you for sharing your story. It makes me respect my kennel for refusing to accept dogs over a certain age. It's clear my kennel truly cares for the welfare of the dogs in their care. I was initially upset when they refused to take my dog. Now I'm relieved.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM

7,953 posts, read 6,068,948 times
Yep, my hubby and I would take short trips to visit relatives separately because of our dog (deceased now). When he was a few years younger we had left him 2 times at a very good kennel. They said he wouldn't eat at all, so we quit doing that too at the time. I will be the same w/ my 4 yr old bull dog. I just don't trust anyone to feed, potty her enough.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 PM

19,340 posts, read 15,039,760 times
[quote=cynwldkat;22944055]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Whoa......we eat what my husband kills in a hunt, or donate the meat. We do not eat bear but, others do.

I will spare you the pictures and just tell you it was a closed casket funeral.[/QU

Oh my yes, and I agree. Our neighbor lost his little boy because of hitting a dear tha talso went through the windshield so I know....I can't shoot them myself but I understand. I absolutely do not have any bad feelings about hunting the way you describe--none! I'm sorry to make you feel like I was saying that. I persoanlly cannot kill anything but the deer do need to be controlled. Coyotes have killed many of my personal pets in CA so I also understand controlling them. Please forgive me for this misunderstanding--I just love all animals but I am not stupid and do see both sides.
I just read this......

No problem.......

Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 PM

653 posts, read 107,654 times
Quote:
Does anyone not go on vacations because they won't leave their old dogs.

We won't leave them anymore.
My dogs aren't old, but in the 5 years I've had them, I will travel nowhere that I can't take them. I've never been apart from them a single day and don't ever plan to be (even when I had in-patient surgery as I saw them in the AM before surgery on Friday, and then late in the PM on Saturday when I was released). We used to vacation out of the country. Since I've gotten the pups, we vacation in the US or anywhere we can get a permit to bring them with us, and I'm fine with that, as if I were to leave them behind, I wouldn't enjoy the trip at all and my girl's health is so fragile that I don't trust anyone to care for her correctly. Some friends think I'm nuts, and that's fine. You just need to do what is best for you and your kids.

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-17-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 AM

795 posts, read 409,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
My dogs aren't old, but in the 5 years I've had them, I will travel nowhere that I can't take them. I've never been apart from them a single day and don't ever plan to be (even when I had in-patient surgery as I saw them in the AM before surgery on Friday, and then late in the PM on Saturday when I was released). We used to vacation out of the country. Since I've gotten the pups, we vacation in the US or anywhere we can get a permit to bring them with us, and I'm fine with that, as if I were to leave them behind, I wouldn't enjoy the trip at all and my girl's health is so fragile that I don't trust anyone to care for her correctly. Some friends think I'm nuts, and that's fine. You just need to do what is best for you and your kids.

What a lucky Dog you have.
You are right people don't understand.
Vacations are out for us too.We are considering doing a short trip 150 miles away for 2 days but luckily we have found a hotel that takes dogs.If we go they will be with us all the time.

Still thinking it over though..

Our Dogs rule.

I wish everyone thought like you did about their dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs