U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 AM

653 posts, read 106,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
What a lucky Dog you have.
You are right people don't understand.
Vacations are out for us too.We are considering doing a short trip 150 miles away for 2 days but luckily we have found a hotel that takes dogs.If we go they will be with us all the time.

Still thinking it over though..

Our Dogs rule.

I wish everyone thought like you did about their dogs.
Aww, thanks!

Believe me, I'M the lucky one. I'm so thankful to have my pups in my life.

We've actually discovered some really amazing places since we began vacationing with the pups. For the three generations my family has been in this country, we've always vacationed in Cape May (aside from the fun out-of-country trips). My grandmother and great aunt/uncle even honeymooned there, and I'd love to get married there.

However, Cape May is far from dog-friendly (even though the manager of Congress Hall, the hotel we vacation at every year, said he'd make an exception for us to bring our pups which I thought was amazingly kind of him - we eventually didn't, though, because I could foresee having issues with the staff every time we walked in and out of the hotel with the pups).

Since we got the pups, we re-discovered Rehoboth Beach which is MUCH more dog-friendly and even more affordable. In Rehoboth, we can afford to rent an entire dog-friendly house with a yard just steps from the ocean. Plus, they're a short jump from Dewey Beach, where the pups can run on the beach! We now really love it there.

We never would have branched out from our beloved Cape May if it weren't for the dogs, and I'm happy we did. Out of tradition, we still go to Cape May, but we stay in the shabbier but much cheaper dog-friendly hotel on the city's end, and we're fine with that.

Since we're no longer flying out of the country for vacations as much, we're discovering gems right here in the US like Hilton Head, South Beach, and parts of Miami (i.e. Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne, etc) as well as other places on our list like the Hamptons, Martha's Vineyard, etc. So many dog-friendly gems right here! After all, puppies need vacations too. (Double bonus: vacationing local stimulates the economy, too, and is easier on the environment and the wallet. )

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-18-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 AM

795 posts, read 407,708 times
We have decided even though we have found a place that will accept pets to stay with us and our trip is only 150 miles.Our dogs wouldn't enjoy the sight seeing around town part/too much for them.

So home we will stay with our babies.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM

4,518 posts, read 2,638,576 times
No, I can't travel, they howl when I even go to the store.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 PM

607 posts, read 655,517 times
Now we have 3 dogs, so vacation seems ... far away ... but I'm happy at home with my dogs

Old 02-21-2012, 03:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,910,470 times
I board all six if I take my annual trip out West. Yes, it costs about $1800.
No way can I afford any of it this year, but I'd rather live with them every day than be dogless and take more vacations.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM

6 dogs? Oh that is a lot of loving.

I would say yes save the $1800 and go treat yourself to a nice show and some good eating out.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,910,470 times
Well, this year I reinjured my back and neck at work, so am out of vacation cash for June (never mind that I didn't really have it anyway). I've been home for two weeks and likely for at least two more weeks. I've really enjoyed being with my seniors so much. It would feel wrong to ever sit on a couch, reading or watching TV, without 14-year-old Artie snoring next to me (and 12-year-old Eloise, trying to sit on him, lean on him, squeeze in next to him while he grumbles).
My youngest, Dodger, who is an 11-year-old heeler mix and barely slowing down at all, loves to ride in the car, so I take him every day to my chiropractic or acupuncture sessions. He has "barrier aggression," so I don't have to lock the car or even take the keys. He goes nuts if anyone even passes the car, and goes nuts at cars next to me at red lights. Once a cop stopped me for not coming to a full halt in my town, and Dodger made such a racket, I couldn't figure out why I was being stopped.
In the future, if/when I'm not working full-time or am working more like two nights a week (semi-retirement or retirement) I might consider going down to maybe two dogs, so I can board them without getting hammered.
I have never thought of myself as childLESS (am childFREE), am sort of husband-less (or husband-equivalent-less, but I was dogless until I bought a house, fenced the yard, and accepted that I wasn't going to leave town or change jobs again.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:16 PM

1,787 posts, read 2,083,035 times
As our dogs aged, especially my dog Callie, I was more and more reluctant to leave them. We bought a fifth wheel camper so we could all vacation together!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Get well soon.

It sounds as though your Pups love having you home.

No better love.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM

1,641 posts, read 1,080,367 times
Same problem here, we couldn't leave our old lady she was diagnosed 18 months ago with Pancreatitis the Vet said it was probably time for her to go but my husband wouldn't have it, that was 18 months ago and she is still with us eating a chicken diet no fat... so we are not going anywhere soon anywhere , we couldn't leave her with anyone as she could have an attack. She is 13 yrs. old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs