U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,094,439 times

Advertisements

I have a min-pin dog who is 14 years old and is blind due to cataracts. His right eye went about 7 months ago and his left, in the past few weeks.

He seems to know where everything is and walks around but he constantly bumps into things. Walls, tables, furniture, doors, etc. However, he can't do much for himself anymore. We have to help him get up on the couch, walk him down the porch steps and make sure he isn't getting into anything dangerous.

I'm considering getting him cataract surgery on both of his eyes. I know it's expensive but I do have some money saved up.

However, I am a little concerned due to his age.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,359,495 times
My Shih Tzu is going to be 18 in June. He went deaf about 3 years ago and blind 2 years ago. Until last year he went out the doggie door and down four steps to the yard, one day he misjudged and got his head stuck between the stair riser and the bannister..I was right there so he was not hurt, however, that ended him going up and down the stairs...I now carry him...which is just fine with me.

He navigates the house just fine, knows where everything is, still jumps on the couch by himself,
he does gauge it several times B/4 he jumps up or down. He is very independent and wants to do everything he can on his own....my friends mavel at how well he gets around. My point is that they do adapt, like humans...some do better than others.

My vet will not operate on him due to his age and I agree, no point in stressing him out any further, he seems happy and content, he is not in any pain so we kinda just make do.

Just giving you a little background on my experience with my Smokey, your vet will advise
you whether surgery is recommended or not, after that...it is your choice.

I wish you and your little friend my best!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:48 AM

4,378 posts, read 8,624,731 times
My 11 year old dachshund/toy poodle mix is blind. But here blindness cannot be corrected with cataract surgery. That would only alleviate the the pressure on her eyes--which I'm managing with eye drops.

She has adjusted very well to being blind. I live in a split entry home (stairs galore) and my deck has 8 stairs to get to the grass in the backyard. I was worried about her navigating the stairs inside and out. She has done very well. I wrapped my inside staircase with bubble wrap as well as several table legs. I've also taped those plastic air pockets used for shipping, at various corners around my house. I've used cut swimming pool noodles outside to protect her from sharp corners around the fence and deck stairs.

She is able to jump on and off couches and off my bed (which is quite high). She can't jump on my bed anymore as she can't see where she's aiming to jump.

There is a thread here somewhere about living with a blind dog. Read those tips to help your mini pin adjust. Oh, and to help you too.

Does your vet say he's in any pain? How is is health other than his cataracts?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I have a min-pin dog who is 14 years old and is blind due to cataracts. His right eye went about 7 months ago and his left, in the past few weeks.

He seems to know where everything is and walks around but he constantly bumps into things. Walls, tables, furniture, doors, etc. However, he can't do much for himself anymore. We have to help him get up on the couch, walk him down the porch steps and make sure he isn't getting into anything dangerous.

I'm considering getting him cataract surgery on both of his eyes. I know it's expensive but I do have some money saved up.

However, I am a little concerned due to his age.

Any advice?

I also am lookin in to getting his caearacts removed, Ive schedule a time to take him in for the evaluation. So he might not get to see again.Going Thurday the optomaligist and they will tel ne the risks and the good,but for both eyes cost will b around 4000.You can look into carecredit.com
thr helped me with my dog...

Last edited by bborgans; 04-10-2012 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: just ask the doctor if is better for him honasl

Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,094,439 times
I'm sorry I never replied back to you all.

I decided not to go through the cataract surgery mainly due to his age. To my surprise, he's gotten along quite well with his vision loss and has made it up by smelling his way around. He's also got a good sense of direction, I can set him down anywhere in the house and he'll know his way around.

Healthwise, he seems okay. He sleeps more than he used to and is getting slightly weaker (I think he may have or may be getting arthritis) but he's still got his energy and motiviation to eat as much as possible. Taking him for a walk around my yard seems to help him.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM

18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
I don't think dogs need cataract surgery. Dogs don't read or drive. Their primary sense is their nose. They do fine with cataracts. People put their own values on a dog...and don't realize that dogs are fine with vision problems.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 PM

10,436 posts, read 10,173,161 times
My senior dog has cataracts. So far she is managing quite well, though she does sometimes stumble and rarely bumps into something. I recently had a large A frame ladder in our great room to do some work on the ceiling. She did not bump into it or into furniture that was moved out of its normal position.

However, if I am not in my usual seating position to read or use the computer, she may bark at my empty chair to try to get my attention. Apparently, she can smell me if I am close by, but not pinpoint exactly where I am.

She is also not quite as quick to find food dropped on the floor.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,040 times
I live near a Mexican town, Nuevo Progreso. Just found out today I can get my dog's cataracts emulsified this Saturday for $140 for both eyes, plus the needed eye drops afterwards. They have no lenses down there, but with the cataracts removed, she should be able to see better at farther distances, so I've read.
I adopted this 6 y/o poodle/terrier mix a few months ago, and she does fine around my house and doggy door, loves to go for walks, and wags her tail so much then! But her 'racts are so bad anything will help her.
She can't react with one eye, like if you're going to poke her eye, but the other eye reacts. I hope she will be able to blink without thinking again with both eyes afterwards.
mod cut
I'll let you know how she does afterwards, if I remember. Someone had a good idea to take her dog to a vet training clinic. Adios!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-24-2012 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: off topic - let's stick to dog health, please!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,344 times
hi I am new to the forum. I have 3 year old cocker spaniel and he has been diagnosed with cataract in one eye.
There is no question in my mind that I am going to get his surgery done. I need help in finding a reasonable vet who can perform the surgery.
The hospital I took him is charging $5000. Does anyone know cheaper place where I can get the surgery done?

Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,974,148 times
My 4 yr old female shar~pei has a cataract in one eye, it is affecting her ability to function and she also gets paranoid with the larger dog as she cannot trust her surroundings.
Not sure about cataract surgeon yet, but I welcome any suggestions, I think she is young and should get it, it is worth it for her quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs