U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,031,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I would refer to myself as a "dog lover" more than "dog savvy" so I can see how this could happen.

We had a plumber at our house a couple of times over a couple of days. He always brings his pit bull, Prince, who stays in the truck while the plumber... plumbs.

Anyway, I went outside to meet Prince -- friendly as can be!!! -- and went back in to get him some treats and stuff. I came back outside, gave Prince his goodies, played with him a bit, and then found myself kneeling to his level, with his face in my hands, staring into his eyes, and about to kiss him on the lips.

You'd think I'd know better -- I read enough on this forum, and Artie is a monster -- but sometimes the love just gets too big and rational thought jumps out of the brain.

It's all good -- Prince acted like the prince that he is -- but I can see how it could have gone bad.
DandJ keep in mind, Prince was not under stress the way Max was. Prince was relaxed and in a more forgiving frame of mind.

Max was very stressed and giving the signals which they were not reading. They were caught up in the "feel good" story. Kyle should not have been kneeling down. I know she wanted to be in the picture with Max, it would have been better if they had a chair for her beside the sitting arrangement instead of her kneeling.

Prince was a Prince. I know we can get caught up in the moment but we always need to keep in mind, our dogs...any dog is an animal first, no matter how beautiful it is. Beauty clouds our judgement. Something Kyle even said to Max.
"You are so beautiful or handsome..." She was caught up in the moment, when Max corrected her with a nip, it caught her upper lip and as she pulled away, it tore.

Prince was much more forgiving (with you) where Max corrected her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM

16,651 posts, read 26,661,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
DandJ keep in mind, Prince was not under stress the way Max was. Prince was relaxed and in a more forgiving frame of mind.

Max was very stressed and giving the signals which they were not reading. They were caught up in the "feel good" story. Kyle should not have been kneeling down. I know she wanted to be in the picture with Max, it would have been better if they had a chair for her beside the sitting arrangement instead of her kneeling.

Prince was a Prince. I know we can get caught up in the moment but we always need to keep in mind, our dogs...any dog is an animal first, no matter how beautiful it is. Beauty clouds our judgement. Something Kyle even said to Max.
"You are so beautiful or handsome..." She was caught up in the moment, when Max corrected her with a nip, it caught her upper lip and as she pulled away, it tore.

Prince was much more forgiving (with you) where Max corrected her.
Agreed... on all counts.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM

4,101 posts, read 6,130,104 times
Default News, TV Anchor Undergoes Surgery After Newscast Dog Bite.

Quote:
I would refer to myself as a "dog lover" more than "dog savvy" so I can see how this could happen.

We had a plumber at our house a couple of times over a couple of days. He always brings his pit bull, Prince, who stays in the truck while the plumber... plumbs.

Anyway, I went outside to meet Prince -- friendly as can be!!! -- and went back in to get him some treats and stuff. I came back outside, gave Prince his goodies, played with him a bit, and then found myself kneeling to his level, with his face in my hands, staring into his eyes, and about to kiss him on the lips.

You'd think I'd know better -- I read enough on this forum, and Artie is a monster -- but sometimes the love just gets too big and rational thought jumps out of the brain.

It's all good -- Prince acted like the prince that he is -- but I can see how it could have gone bad.
Did you ever stop to think what Prince was licking just before you were ready to plant that kiss on his lips? You expect a TV Newscaster to be somewhat of a dimwit, the rest of us should know better.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Did you ever stop to think what Prince was licking just before you were ready to plant that kiss on his lips?
Not for a second. I couldn't care less. Artie (that's my dog) kisses me on the lips all the time. I haven't died yet.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:14 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,100,369 times
It's still unwise to do that with any dog you don't know well, even if it's a relaxed Prince. Stress or not, any dog can bite a stranger.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's still unwise to do that with any dog you don't know well, even if it's a relaxed Prince. Stress or not, any dog can bite a stranger.
Absolutely! I realized that I was acting out of love, rather than smarts... that's why I posted that I could see how easily this sort of incident can happen.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 AM

29,819 posts, read 16,517,925 times
I couldn't understand why she kept running her hands all over his face either. I guess I just usually don't pet strange dogs that way. I do feel sorry for her and hope that she is all right.

But putting her face in the strange dog's face was just not smart.

My son still likes to put his face in Ringo's face and kind of 'nuzzle'. I tell him all the time NOT to do that because sometimes Ringo likes it and sometimes he doesn't. Best just not to do it. I think my son has finally gotten the message.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 7,804,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's still unwise to do that with any dog you don't know well even if it's a relaxed Prince. Stress or not, any dog can bite a stranger.
I am afraid of strange dogs. When I take my daily walk, I avoid people walking their dogs by crossing the street or turning a corner. Several weeks ago, I was walking in my own neighborhoos when a woman with a leashed dog came around the side of a house. The dog began to bark at me and strain at the leash. I stopped where I was and stood still. The woman assured me the dog didn't bite. I stayed where I was, thinking she would move on, but she stood her ground and kept saying, "It's okay, it's okay." I stayed where I was and said, "No, it isn't okay. The dog is menacing me." I feared turning away because I wasn't sure but that she would follow me to prove that her barking, growling dog was "harmless." She stood and stared at me with a half-smirk on her face. I was about to pull out my phone and call 9-1-1 when she turned and walked away without another word.

I've changed my mind. I'm no longer afraid of strange dogs. I'm afraid of their strange owners.

My mailman once told me that he had suffered numerous dog bites by dogs that the owners assured him didn't bite.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,329,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I am afraid of strange dogs. When I take my daily walk, I avoid people walking their dogs by crossing the street or turning a corner. Several weeks ago, I was walking in my own neighborhoos when a woman with a leashed dog came around the side of a house. The dog began to bark at me and strain at the leash. I stopped where I was and stood still. The woman assured me the dog didn't bite. I stayed where I was, thinking she would move on, but she stood her ground and kept saying, "It's okay, it's okay." I stayed where I was and said, "No, it isn't okay. The dog is menacing me." I feared turning away because I wasn't sure but that she would follow me to prove that her barking, growling dog was "harmless." She stood and stared at me with a half-smirk on her face. I was about to pull out my phone and call 9-1-1 when she turned and walked away without another word.

I've changed my mind. I'm no longer afraid of strange dogs. I'm afraid of their strange owners.

My mailman once told me that he had suffered numerous dog bites by dogs that the owners assured him didn't bite.
I can see why mail carriers get bit.

They come and go very quickly.

If think if Rip could get loose he would bite our UPS carrier.

He can hear the truck gear down to turn and he is NUTS until they leave.

Last edited by Driller1; 02-11-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-11-2012, 11:36 AM

1,927 posts, read 2,623,234 times
Quote:
Not for a second. I couldn't care less. Artie (that's my dog) kisses me on the lips all the time. I haven't died yet.

do you make sure to get your yearly worming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or