Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:31 PM

653 posts, read 945,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnapses! View Post
I've had my yorkie for almost 4 years and he's never been fixed. We had him trained for about a year but now every time we let him out of his room, he pees all over the furniture and doors and basically anything standing. Our carpet was yellow all over before we had it cleaned out, which is. Expensive so I don't want to keep doing that every month. Anyway, now if we keep him in his room, he just pees on the door or the gate in the doorway. I'm frustrated because I love my dog so much but I can't stand to let him out because I have to basically focus on nothing but keeping him next to me, which is hard because he doesn't want to sit and sleep he wants to run everywhere and pee!!!!!!!!

Help! He even knows where his pee pee pad is and will deliberately pee next to it but not on it every time !!
Based on only hearing the problematic behavior and not having a knowledge of how the rest of the day and interaction goes, it's hard to say for sure, but my first thought is keep in mind the pups are pack animals. If his health checks out okay, and he doesn't have an infection, this could be a cry for attention. Either way, I'd get him checked to rule out health concerns. My boy once had an infection because he wasn't drinking enough water that caused him to pee uncontrollably, eventually even while he slept!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,738 times
Yep, I have the same problem, but not as bad, just spot here and there. Mine isn't neutered either and vet said that's the problem.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
I'd whip it out, and pee on the dog.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM

653 posts, read 945,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I'd whip it out, and pee on the dog.
I know that was a joke, but a reminder that positive reinforcement equals much better results.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
How odd....no response from the OP?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,674 times
Seems like the OP likes to start posts and not come back. Whatever

Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 PM

58 posts, read 135,252 times
The dog was trained for the first year we had him then a little over a year ago he started this peeing everywhere. When he comes out to spend time with us he doesn't want attention, he wants to go behind the couch and pee. I don't know how to go from puppy play time to complete puppy come out and I keep you on a short leash so you can't leave my side even thou you want to.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
easy, you put him on a leash and dont let him do what he wants, hes a yorkie not an alien lifeform...you are in charge and if he cant be trusted not to pee on thigns then he doesnt get the freedoms he wants...simple. treat him like a child...he earns his freedom plain and simple...

get him neutered and work on retraining, its a combination of hormonal AND behavioural..
the neutering will eventually take out the hormonal aspect then you work with him the same as you would training a brand new baby puppy, go back to square 1.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:30 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnapses! View Post
The dog was trained for the first year we had him then a little over a year ago he started this peeing everywhere. When he comes out to spend time with us he doesn't want attention, he wants to go behind the couch and pee. I don't know how to go from puppy play time to complete puppy come out and I keep you on a short leash so you can't leave my side even thou you want to.

dog was trained in the first year because his hormones hadn't kicked in yet. I think you get the idea loud and clear.....neuter that dog. For those who have pomeranians or other dogs that loose their hair in big clumps and are ridiculously bald....another neutering problem, too many hormones for those little guys.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
My cousin had a male yorkie that she trained on pee pads and never had neutered. She had the same problem that you do; he hiked his leg all over her curtains and bedspread - those were his favorites.

The end result of all that is that he spent a lot of time in his crate and ended up getting a little bit mean.

He was not exercised enough (he loved to walk and could have hiked his leg a LOT on a daily walk) and she didn't like him to get in the grass in case he got fleas.

Is your yorkie trained to potty outside? And does he get plenty of walks and opportunity to mark OUTSIDE? That, and I agree with everyone's advice to neuter.

Yorkies can be notoriously hard to housetrain. I have a little female yorkie that won't hold it for 2 seconds if she has to go. BUT she also has problems with bladder infections; bladder stones, etc.

You can do it or it least make things better so that you enjoy your dog again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs