U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,607 times

Advertisements

hi there, i have a 9 month old bullmastiff, and she has been attacking my 2 staffs!!! male is 9 and the female is 8. i have been really strict with her and it looked like it was stopping, but today she attacked the female worse than ever. they were rolling about, and i couldnt get her off. my staffs dont like confrontation and will growl at her, it was really frightening. can anyone help. tania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 AM

3,190 posts, read 7,085,578 times
You need a behaviorist to assess and help your with situation. I would call your vet and local rescues for recommendations of good ones for your situation.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,860,983 times
yup you need to 1: get her in basic obedience with lots of RESTRICTED socilization, 2: you need to being in a behaviourist to work 1 on one with her, 3: if nt already she needs to be spayed, and 4: you have to understand that mastifs and bully breeds are both prone to same sex agression, you may have to do alot of work and potentially crate and rotate/seperate them. NEVER EVER leave her alone with the other dogs unsupervised and playtime should never include rough houseing or tug games (no tug, no wrestling, ect) keep her on a long line tethered to you so that should the playing start to even look remotly "rough" you can remove her imediatly without putting your hands inbetween the 2 dogs.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM

11,177 posts, read 20,549,221 times
I thought my dogs were having serious problems getting along, because they kept snapping at each other, banging their heads together and rolling on the ground while growling. But neither of them has injured the other and it never gets worse, they're just playing with each other. I have a puppy and a 6 year old dog and they seem to instigate the rough play equally.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 PM

3,190 posts, read 7,085,578 times
My dogs play "kill-a-dog" with each other too, but it seems what the OP is describing is a real fight.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,342,943 times
The OP is, as foxywench said, describing what sounds like classic same sex aggression - and females are particularly nasty about it. The young one may have it all over the older female in terms of agility and strength. Now is not the time to think about it or hesitate - find a behaviorist tomorrow if you didn't today. Foxywench gave you the best advice of all.

One line you may hear repeatedly is males fight to establish dominance, females will fight to the death. It's no joke - the females just don't know when to give it up. This is a very, very serious issue, OP - I hope you will be back to tell us what you and your dog have learned after sessions with the behaviorist. Good luck, but be smart on this one and don't put it off.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,860,983 times
SamIAm is VERY correct, if this is true same sex agrssion female/female is the most dangerous kind...please dont brush this off, get a professional in to asses this behaviour...
it COULD be agressive play...without seing it in person i cant tellyou for certain, but if its not and it is same sex agression, this is just the begining...it wont get bettwe without some SERIOUS work.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,049,362 times
+1 Dogmama
+1 Foxywench
+1 Sam I Am

OP - hope you have listened to what all three of these people have posted. They know exactly what they are talking about. I agree with them completely. I had two females (an Am Staff - bully breed) I had to deal with this issue on. Do NOT delay. Since you do not know how to stop the aggression, get a professional (behaviorist) involved immediately.

Please to not wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs