U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 AM
 
Location: nc
436 posts, read 1,335,532 times
Reputation: 456

Advertisements

We started our dog at dog obedience classes last week. Last week we worked on sit and look at me. Last night we worked on leash walking. The dog is good with the sit and look at me but we are having issues with the leash walking.

The lady teaching the class said when the dog starts to pull, stop and wait until he gives some slack. Then praise and give a treat and continue walking. This all sounds good but I'm afraid he's going to get way too many treats in a day this way. We don't have a fenced in yard (yet) so we need to take him out on a leash for all potty breaks and just exercise walks. I know we just started this method, but he has gone through so many treats just from last night's walk and this morning's two walks. I buy bacony treats that we break up into fourths.

We have a harness for him and that has helped with the pulling a little but he still pulls a lot. Should we continue with her method? Is there another method that will be just as effective or better? I don't want to get him a choke collar or one of the spikey ones. He's a good dog, he's just excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 AM
 
12,870 posts, read 15,346,820 times
Reputation: 14809
rent a dvd or cd of Cesar Millan.....he's definately the dog whisperer....I seem to remember him saying do NOT use a harness.........http://www.cesarsway.com/training/th...g-the-Dog-Walk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 32,288,103 times
Reputation: 11447
What kind of dog???

If it is a hound...just get used to it......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM
 
1,004 posts, read 2,025,086 times
Reputation: 918
With the exception of the endless treat giving yes that is one of many ways to teach polite leash walking. I personally rarely use treats lots of praise and short mini sessions, followed by play, works like a charm. Also Kudos to you for actually training your dog and not put a "band aid" on the situation with a training tool.

Another method I use is that if the dog tries to pull a head of me I go the other way. Like everything it takes patience but eventually the dog is focused on my body language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
 
Location: middleboro, ma
184 posts, read 603,787 times
Reputation: 543
first and foremost, do NOT take any dog training advice from cesar milan. he is not the dog whisperer. he is the dog bully.

training requires some treating, unless your dog thinks a toy or a pat on the head is a thousand times better than any treat. find a low calorie/fat treat and give very small pieces. boiled chicken is a good option.

changing direction every time he pulls will be more effective than simply stopping and waiting. every time you turn around and walk the other way, he gets pulled away from what he wanted to get to. if you change direction frequently, it forces him to pay attention to you and watch where you're walking. he won't like being dragged around by you just as you don't like being dragged around by him. praise him when he lets the leash go slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: nc
436 posts, read 1,335,532 times
Reputation: 456
He's a chihuahua/boston terrier mix. He is mostly just trotting along sniffing the ground when we walk. It seems like he is just a fast walker. I've tried speeding up a little but he still walks a little too fast for me.

I'll try changing directions next time and see what happens. I don't want to confuse him too much because I want him to go potty while we're out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
 
653 posts, read 737,864 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
We started our dog at dog obedience classes last week. Last week we worked on sit and look at me. Last night we worked on leash walking. The dog is good with the sit and look at me but we are having issues with the leash walking.

The lady teaching the class said when the dog starts to pull, stop and wait until he gives some slack. Then praise and give a treat and continue walking. This all sounds good but I'm afraid he's going to get way too many treats in a day this way. We don't have a fenced in yard (yet) so we need to take him out on a leash for all potty breaks and just exercise walks. I know we just started this method, but he has gone through so many treats just from last night's walk and this morning's two walks. I buy bacony treats that we break up into fourths.

We have a harness for him and that has helped with the pulling a little but he still pulls a lot. Should we continue with her method? Is there another method that will be just as effective or better? I don't want to get him a choke collar or one of the spikey ones. He's a good dog, he's just excited.
That's what we did and it worked with our dogs. It just takes patience, positive reinforcement, and, most of all, consistency. When we were training a lot, we reduced their food just a smidge to balance out the extra calories they were getting from treats. We gave high-quality, not waxy treats, so they were getting vitamins, etc too when they got a treat. Break the treats into teeny tiny bits; they don't have to be large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM
 
653 posts, read 737,864 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
rent a dvd or cd of Cesar Millan.....he's definately the dog whisperer....I seem to remember him saying do NOT use a harness.........6 Tips for Mastering the Dog Walk | Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan
BEWARE!! If you have small dog or a dog with a thin neck DO NOT USE CAESAR'S METHOD OF LOOPING THE LEASH AROUND A DOG'S THROAT! Doing so can cause a collapsed trachea. My pup has that (only the Chi I did Caesar's technique on since she was pulling), and it's because I learned AFTER we did Caesar's technique that is should not be done on small dogs or dogs with thin necks. Please learn from my mistake. Never, ever, ever do this on a small or thin-necked dog. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
 
653 posts, read 737,864 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
He's a chihuahua/boston terrier mix. He is mostly just trotting along sniffing the ground when we walk. It seems like he is just a fast walker. I've tried speeding up a little but he still walks a little too fast for me.

I'll try changing directions next time and see what happens. I don't want to confuse him too much because I want him to go potty while we're out.
I do that with her sometimes too when she forgets after a long winter indoors and needs to be reminded. I give her a command as I do the turn about, then in later walks all I have to do is say the command and she slows down. After a few weeks back to the park in the spring, she remembers the drill and I don't have to remind her at all (until next year). Or I just stop walking when she pulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,694,915 times
Reputation: 9579
i second the suggestion to change directions...
i would also wean off the treats, there not nessicary and shouldnt be given EVERY time, instead a simple verbal cue. when he pulls stop and turn around, walk a few steps in the opposite direction and then turn around again, your essentilaly refocusing him...not teaching him HOW to walk on leash as much as teaching him to pay attention to YOU...
treat once in a while...keep it random, you dont want him (especially ebing part bosto who are stubborn and tend to b ruled by the tummy) learning to do things ONLY because theres a treat involved....treats should always be a random reward kinda likle playing the slots...you keep playing becuase your certain NEXT time youll hit the jack pot...and those occasional random little wins inbetween ust keep luing you along lol.

please keep him on a harness, chihuahaus are highly prone to collapsing treachea and bostons aready have breathing issues so no need to agrivate the situation further...
also keep trainign sessions short fun and end on a positive note.

my typical walking training is to simple turn around and take a few steps the other way the MOMENT i feel a tug...they quickly learn that pulling actually gets them FURTHER from where they want to go.

If hes a serious tugger on leash id also suggest a good play session before any real training sessions...if there just a little bit tired its easier for them to focus so let him have a run around the yard before doing some leash work with him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top