Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,503 times

Advertisements

The routine is - we go for the last walk around 8pm after his last meal. He comes back really thirsty and I let him drink water before I remove the water and food trays. I wake up around 6am and we go for our morning walk around 6:45am but I always find pee and poo in the house... how can I get him to wait until the morning walk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsam View Post
The routine is - we go for the last walk around 8pm after his last meal. He comes back really thirsty and I let him drink water before I remove the water and food trays. I wake up around 6am and we go for our morning walk around 6:45am but I always find pee and poo in the house... how can I get him to wait until the morning walk?
crate the dog in your room at night and try feeding the dog around 5 or 6pm.
also bring the dog out around 10pm at night that may help you.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
8pm to 6am is too long! As suggested try try 10 or 11 pm his last walk or at least potty break.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
are you actually going to bed at 8pm and not getting up untill almost 7am?!
almost 11 hours is a LONG time for anything to go without a potty break...

if he HAS to go 10 hours between potty breaks i would 1: give him his own room, a kitchen or bathroom works for this, in said room give him a "legal" potty spot (a litter box with a pee pad in it or something) at least then its not on the floor or in random places through the house...

OR crate train him...but again 11 hours is a LONG time to go for anything dog, cat or human, between potty breaks and being a min-pin his bladder is aproximatly the size of a walnut.

generally dry kibble takes 12-16 hours to fully digest and come out the other end...so i doubt your just before 8pm meal is causing the real issue...its more likley to be treats during the day and him not finnishing (rarely will a dog fully empty its bowls in 1 "sitting")...but again 11 hours between potty breaks...thats alot to ask for anyone...you wouldnt expect a 5 yr old to hold it that long...would you? a dogs system works the same way....they cna learn to hold it for some lenght of time...but unlike with adult humans they cant just ignore it and the feeling goes away...they will eventulaly simply not be able to hold it any more.

for toy breeds like a min pin 8 hours is the longest id expect a dog to hold it...

and i wouldnt be giving him free run of the house at night either...because why hold it if you dont have to!?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
It's just too long a time -- almost 11 hours -- between his last outing of the night and the first of the morning. And he's drinking water after his last outing, which is making matters worse.

I couldn't hold it that long either.

I feed Artie dinner at 5pm.
His last outing is at about 9.30pm.
He's ready to pee at about 6.30am.
That's 9 hours ... and it's his limit.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:35 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
IF you have a MinPin I would suggest you Litterbox Train him! Lady-Bug [papillon] is Litterboxed trained for inside BUT she knows about when she gets to go out & will hold it! [stinker LOL]
IF you talking about Dobie or Greman Pincher I suggest you take the bigger guys out more often!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM

653 posts, read 945,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
8pm to 6am is too long! As suggested try try 10 or 11 pm his last walk or at least potty break.
Agreed.

Or, if that's not possible, put down a puppy pad at night so the little one can make potty while you're sleeping. We used to walk our Chihuahuas outside until one developed asthma and now can't go out unless it's 68*+. As a solution, we introduced them to puppy pads, and they are fabulous for tiny pups with tiny bladders, as well.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsam View Post
You need to have his last feed and water about 5. Take up his food/water bowls after he eats. Take him potty w/in few minutes. then potty again a couple more times before bed. Dogs shouldn't eat as late as 8 pm. IMO

Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
Jan, taking up this ogs water at 5pm and not letting him have anouther drink untill almost 7am would be considered cruelty in many cases...food sure take it up...
but water deprivation is dangerous especially in small breeds, 8 hours wihtout water should be an absolute MAX
one of the things that determins neglect in animal cruelty cases is a dogs acess to drinking water.
would you be able to not drink anything after 5pm untill 7am the next morning?! not good for you and not good for an animal.

and given it takes 12 hours for kibble to pass through the system, feeding at 5pm would mean hed need to go potty at around 5am...so still not solving the issue...and in most breeds going 14 hours wihtout food will lead to acid reflux (which most often results in vomiting of yellow bile or white foamy stuff, and in small breeds can cause hypoglycemia issues...
its actually better to feed beteen 7-8pm for a dogs normal natural bowle movments...
I do agree the water needs to come up before bedtime...but NOT as early as 5 pm... it should be removed about 15 mins before the final potty break of the night if peeing is an issue

if hes pooping in the night its because he didnt poop enough while on his last walk...
but id put money that a simple crate and not making the dog try to hold it for 12 hours straight would solve all the issues.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
What type of Pinscher? Affen? German? Doberman? Min? Austrian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs