Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times

Advertisements

Please help me. I have a dog that has dry eye, and after flushing her eyes, I have to apply an ointment in her eye. She fights me, and the ointment gets all over face instead of her eyes.

Anyone have a trick to make it easier for both of us? She's a small dog, lhasa apso mix, about 15 lbs. I live alone, so there's no one to help me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Hold the dog facing away from you by placing your arm around the neck , reach up and pull the lower eyelid down and apply the save into the lower eye lid.
if your scared of poking the eye, put some save on the tip of a Q-tip then apply to the lower eye lid.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I hold the salve tube in the same hand as the one I pull the eyelid down w/. The hold described by the other poster is helpful. I find putting it on the lower lid easiest. Then I sort of pinch the lids together, gently, but it helps keep the salve in the lower eye area, and then it sort of distributes while you're holding the lids together. Treat generously each time, then it becomes a good thing. My dog will now lay down, relunctantly, but quietly when I have to doctor her ears or do salve in the eyes. Hope this helps,

Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM

Great suggestions!!! Thank you!!!

Dummy me, don't know I never thought of that!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:19 PM

94 posts, read 204,429 times
I have to wrap Bo in a large bath towel, facing away from me. Still a fight, but if DH isn't here to help that's what I do. Also, a treat first and after.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I won't use a q-tip or the tube. I make sure my hands are washed well and my fingernails short. I put on rubber disposable gloves. I put the ointment on my finger. (I just feel more comfortable knowing that my finger won't likely hurt them if they jerk.) Once I'm completely ready (I don't let them see me get ready), I go at them from behind, put my arm around to the front and slide it in with my finger. Then, of course, I make a super big deal and give treats.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
I struggled with this until the vet told me to hold the tube in your hand or armpit for a few minutes. This makes the ointment flow so much better and you can quickly lay a bead on the eye.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I won't use a q-tip or the tube. I make sure my hands are washed well and my fingernails short. I put on rubber disposable gloves. I put the ointment on my finger. (I just feel more comfortable knowing that my finger won't likely hurt them if they jerk.) Once I'm completely ready (I don't let them see me get ready), I go at them from behind, put my arm around to the front and slide it in with my finger. Then, of course, I make a super big deal and give treats.
This sounds like a good idea. I tried using the tube because the ointment seeps out on its own and I can get a good long strip of it out so I don't get too close too the eye, but the dog still struggled with me. So I think I'll try using my finger, that way it won't be a sharp jab if she jerks, like you said above.

A few years ago, I had another dog with the same problem, but it was a breeze to treat her. She'd just sit and wait while I opened the tube and would extend her neck out, eyes wide open, and just wait for it. Whoever had her before she came to me must have treated her regularly for some time (she was old, about 12).

Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
This sounds like a good idea. I tried using the tube because the ointment seeps out on its own and I can get a good long strip of it out so I don't get too close too the eye, but the dog still struggled with me. So I think I'll try using my finger, that way it won't be a sharp jab if she jerks, like you said above.
The other reason I use my finger is because I don't want to get germs on the tube. I'm very careful to not touch the tube twice without clean hands. Once I've touched the eye, I can't touch the dispenser part of the tube again with that. Don't want to transfer disease from the eye to the tube. Even if there's not an infection, don't want to transfer any germs to the tube. I don't care if ointment gets all over the face. As long as oitment gets in the eye, I'm happy! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
A few years ago, I had another dog with the same problem, but it was a breeze to treat her. She'd just sit and wait while I opened the tube and would extend her neck out, eyes wide open, and just wait for it. Whoever had her before she came to me must have treated her regularly for some time (she was old, about 12).
I've never had a dog like that. Heck, I never had a kid like that!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I put the ointment on my fingertip and put it in the inner corner of her eye. She's a lot more comfortable with my hand coming toward her face than a q-tip or the tube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs