U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

36,472 posts, read 43,558,753 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine how just petting and rubbing his back while he was stretching would do so much harm. Hope you both get thru the night OK and without any yelps or pain in either one of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 AM

13,293 posts, read 25,459,767 times
I wonder if the vet will say he needs to be getting Medicam for a couple of days and kept still. My girl Eloise did that once. It sure sounds like he bit off more than he could chew in jumping! That's quite a jump for a basset pooch. Please keep us posted as to what the vet says.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM

39,232 posts, read 18,771,218 times
Last Friday.....my little beagle girl....also started acting like your dog......clearly in pain when she had to jump up or down and very defensive if we tried to pick her up and help. We were beside ourselves with concern.....(and some guilt because we have enabled her to get too heavy especially for a 3 legged dog. (She loves to eat!) The only precipitating event we could think of was her daily walk on the trail in the woods.....but my partner said she had been hesitant to get out of the car even then.....like she was in pain...altho once down she was as active as ever.

We called the vet and got her in.....just before they closed on Friday PM. The doctor was wonderfully gentle with her (and with us) altho she did recommend a diet...to prevent disc problems in the future. She offered two courses of treatment.....one was to refer her immediately to a doggie neurologist for tests to definatively determine if it was a nerve problem....or a more conservative approach addressing the symptoms with a course of anti-inflamatory medication paired with another med that addresses nerve pain. (She started with a shot of the anti inflamatory med) Meds to be given twice a day for 7 days).

She seemed to get almost immediate relief and slept well that night and has seemed progressively better each day. She is still a little cautious getting out of the car.....but no where near as defensive when given help and she really doesnt seem to be in pain.

We have started to taper her diet.....starting with no human food.....and a slight decrease in her weight control kibble.....and fewer dog cookies. We will definately continue to work to get her weight down.

I hope your basset is feeling better and I hope this similar story is helpful. Gotta love those hounds.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
Just for looking a up date.

Last edited by Driller1; 02-20-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Last Friday.....my little beagle girl....also started acting like your dog......clearly in pain when she had to jump up or down and very defensive if we tried to pick her up and help. We were beside ourselves with concern.....(and some guilt because we have enabled her to get too heavy especially for a 3 legged dog. (She loves to eat!) The only precipitating event we could think of was her daily walk on the trail in the woods.....but my partner said she had been hesitant to get out of the car even then.....like she was in pain...altho once down she was as active as ever.

We called the vet and got her in.....just before they closed on Friday PM. The doctor was wonderfully gentle with her (and with us) altho she did recommend a diet...to prevent disc problems in the future. She offered two courses of treatment.....one was to refer her immediately to a doggie neurologist for tests to definatively determine if it was a nerve problem....or a more conservative approach addressing the symptoms with a course of anti-inflamatory medication paired with another med that addresses nerve pain. (She started with a shot of the anti inflamatory med) Meds to be given twice a day for 7 days).

She seemed to get almost immediate relief and slept well that night and has seemed progressively better each day. She is still a little cautious getting out of the car.....but no where near as defensive when given help and she really doesnt seem to be in pain.

We have started to taper her diet.....starting with no human food.....and a slight decrease in her weight control kibble.....and fewer dog cookies. We will definately continue to work to get her weight down.

I hope your basset is feeling better and I hope this similar story is helpful. Gotta love those hounds.
My White German Shepherd had a hard life as a puppy.

So, I showed her love with food......and did I ever love her.

One day her back was just gone.

We tried a diet and pain pills.

In the end I had to help her die.

I said never again and I did pretty good with our labs...but, not perfect.

The hounds I feed to the letter of the plan.

Ape has to go back to Wisconsin to finish some breeding obligations and Rip I keep ready to hunt or, compete everyday.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,499,485 times
Sending prayers that all turned out okay at the vet...I love hound dogs, those eyes...my heart just melts right on the spot! Please give that sweet boy a bog kiss from all of us!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
elston, thanks for sharing! I hope your baby gets better soon!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
Update. I've identified that it's his back right leg, not both legs.

The vet appointment is tomorrow at 9am. He's doing okay so I want to wait for the vet I like best.

We have done a better job today at preventing him from causing more injury. We have kept him from jumping (mostly). We have carried him upstairs, into the house, lifted him onto the sofa. He waits for us to do these things, which is funny because he's usually stubborn. We have been taking him out every few hours to walk around the yard to keep his muscles from wasting.

No yelping today. He did two things he wasn't allowed to do. He jumped up onto the sofa without our help while our backs were turned, and he stood up on his hind legs to look over the retaining wall. Neither caused pain. But I told hubby that we still can't let him do these things. He needs to rest those muscles. I don't want him to do more damage before (or after) he sees the doctor tomorrow.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Update. I've identified that it's his back right leg, not both legs.

The vet appointment is tomorrow at 9am. He's doing okay so I want to wait for the vet I like best.

We have done a better job today at preventing him from causing more injury. We have kept him from jumping (mostly). We have carried him upstairs, into the house, lifted him onto the sofa. He waits for us to do these things, which is funny because he's usually stubborn. We have been taking him out every few hours to walk around the yard to keep his muscles from wasting.

No yelping today. He did two things he wasn't allowed to do. He jumped up onto the sofa without our help while our backs were turned, and he stood up on his hind legs to look over the retaining wall. Neither caused pain. But I told hubby that we still can't let him do these things. He needs to rest those muscles. I don't want him to do more damage before (or after) he sees the doctor tomorrow.
I know you will take excellent care of him....

Sending you good thoughts.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
the vet will give you a better idea of whats going on...could be back could be hip, could be knee or could be muscular...
the good news is he can walk, which means whatever it is isnt "terrible" painfull and not great sure, but nothing i would be too concerned about being totally serious...
this means hell probbaly be good as new with some mild pain killers mabe an anti inflamitory and plenty of rest.

hes probably landed funny jumping that retaining wall and given somethign a twist or pull,
the good news is bassts tend to be realitvly easy to "keep calm" lol.

please keep us updated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or