U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:42 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,783,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thank you for the post. Are they lobbying on a national level for animal welfare?
Yes, HSUS is a national ANIMAL welfare organization, just like the American Humane Association AHS and the American Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Animals ASPCA, all work on issues of local, national, and even international. I think a very important thing everyone needs to realize is their mission goes way beyond dogs and cats, rabbits and hamsters... they are involved in issues from a field mouse to a elephant if it involved protecting the welfare of the animals. Dogs & cats are just one of thousands of animals they protects. Just like th AHS goes beyond animals to cover huamnd children as well.

Almost all hatred of the HSUS can be rooted in a core misunderstanding about who the organizationis and what role they play. Even information can be distorted to create a picture of dismay if thats the goal.

I find its best to contact the organization directky to get the information direct from the horses mouth. Anything isay will jsut be countered with someonelses understanding (right or wrong) so, by speaking with them and askingt he questiosn you need to satisfy yourself, you remove any personal bias in mine or anyone elses comments.

Don;t forget that althought he HSUS doesn;t have any local dog or cat shelters, they do have some very large, expensive to operate and in constant use rescue and sanctuaries for animnals often neglected byt he mainstream dog and cat caring folks.

Another fact to cosnider is that although you will hear over and over how they don;t support local huimane organizations, you also don;t hear about local organizations supporting HSUS national efforts. So, it seems to be a two way street. Often the HSUS local efforts aren't saving just the dogs and cats, but putting the mills, cruel breeders, dog fighters, kidnappers, drug in animal mules tenders, etc out of bsuiness. You hear the police raided a local mill and shut them down, odds are there was a lot of involvement from either the HSUS or the ASPCA as both have the legal and enfocement staff to help local authorities deal with these often complex enfocement actions.

Now i willa dmit that my bias is based on our law enfocement that created a dedicated crimes againts animals unit that has been hitting animal abusers, neglect and cruelty hard and fast. They have a excellent track record to responding to calls about animals and they have a fantastic record of prosecuting those incvolved. They manage to build cases that result in maximum penalties. But none of this wasn't possiboe without the technical, finaical, legal, instructional, educational, and cooperation oft he HSUS. So my viewpoint is tainted towards the BIG picture of animal welfare over the individual rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM

13,292 posts, read 25,459,767 times
Well, that's part of what I wanted to know. HSUS has a separate, not-tax-deductible legislation arm, and I'd like to know if they are effective in national legislation, too.
The problem with only giving to local, small places is that there is a lot of duplication in their work- each one has fundraising, administration, etc. It's the same in international health/development things- everyone has their own little corner, where they might well do good work, but there is expensive duplication of the structure of the service.
I know HSUS isn't a shelter group, per se, but did want to know if HSUS is on the wrong side of major issues in legislation (like the egg business). I can't expect an organization to tell me directly if it's involved in something it, on the surface, shouldn't be doing.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM

13,292 posts, read 25,459,767 times
I just read a lot of comments on the Charity Navigator site and they seem to fall very clearly on one side or the other. One side is enraged that individual shelters and animals aren't the beneficiaries of HSUS, the other side sees clearly that HSUS affects legislation on a national scale involving many kinds of animals, especially against cruelty in factory farming. Then people say that the agenda is to make the whole world vegan, end cheap meat, ruin farmers, etc. One even said HSUS wants to "starve" Americans. There were multiple comments that Humane Watch is a front for big agriculture concerns who can be affected by anti-cruelty laws and regulations.
What to believe?
If HSUS is primarily a legislative/lobbying group, why is there a separate non-tax-deductible legislation fund? I really want to support some kind of national anti-cruelty/abuse fund, be it tax deductible or not, especially against factory farming. If HSUS or the legislative arm is doing that, that's fine with me.
Can anyone share a balanced view, not "They're a front for PETA and want to end all animal ownership," to "They are doing work that no one else can do." I get it. They don't do shelters or individual animal things, and I happily contribute to those that do. Am I getting enough bang for buck on the national legislative level with HSUS? Should I stick to the legislative fund?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,783,328 times
Lots of good questuions and concerns. I am by no means a expert on HSUS or the other groups, so what I;m saying si just my opinion based on MY OWN research and observations.

Quote:
Well, that's part of what I wanted to know. HSUS has a separate, not-tax-deductible legislation arm, and I'd like to know if they are effective in national legislation, too.
Quote:
If HSUS is primarily a legislative/lobbying group, why is there a separate non-tax-deductible legislation fund? I really want to support some kind of national anti-cruelty/abuse fund, be it tax deductible or not, especially against factory farming. If HSUS or the legislative arm is doing that, that's fine with me.
I think thats because there are groups of donors who want their money aimed soly and onlu at passing laws to help animals and could care less about the other stuff. There may be some legal thing involved because they do direcetly tell people where candidates running for office have stood or stands on animal welfare issues and that may require the seperation.

Overall, they are one of the most influential legislative and lobbying groups for animal welfare laws. They and the ASPCA are really the experts and have done the most on a nationwide level to get laws passed and influance fedreal regulatiosn to protect those who can;t speak for themself.

Quote:
I know HSUS isn't a shelter group, per se, but did want to know if HSUS is on the wrong side of major issues in legislation (like the egg business). I can't expect an organization to tell me directly if it's involved in something it, on the surface, shouldn't be doing.
Quote:
Then people say that the agenda is to make the whole world vegan, end cheap meat, ruin farmers, etc. One even said HSUS wants to "starve" Americans.
What HSUS is doing is basic animal welfare legistation. If its legal in one state to kill cows by bashing them over the head with baseball bats, of course HSUS is going to fight to change that law. If the cattelmen and slaughter houses see the humane killing techniques as costing more, of course they are going to try to keep the law what it is. If they know what the HSUS is saying can have a far reaching impact on the average person, the best thing they can do is turn that average person against the messenger. If they can keep the attention on the HSUS and focus the people on the group, the message may be lost on those people. You see that here on CD's Pet forums all the time; instead of debating or discussing the message, they attack the messenger.

Quote:
There were multiple comments that Humane Watch is a front for big agriculture concerns who can be affected by anti-cruelty laws and regulations.
What to believe?
By everything FACTUAL that is known, yes, Humane Watch is a front for businesses that befit from lack animal welfare and cruelty laws. Their big funders are Pupy Mills, Commerical Breeders, Beef/Pork/Chicken Human Food Industry, vendors of Slaugther house equipment. Suppliers of Breeding equipmeent, Pet Shops, etc. The bulk of their money and influance is indeed from those who view animals of all types as a commodity to be bought and sold like shoes or paper plates. But, they have been very good at distorting the facts and playing on what someone onces called "the Idiot Rats" refereing to the pied piper because they ahve gotten folks who are probably opposed to everything huamne watch stands for to support them. Not much you can do about that but recognized that stupid people are easily fooled.

By knowing what HSUS does and what they don;t do, you can make that decission. I just find it funny that so many people are upset at HSUS for what they don;t. I wonder if those same people don;t contribute to the American Cancer Society because they don't fight for unemployment extensions? (get my drift?)

Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
I don't give to any charities to help people.

I used to...never saw much good in it.

I only help animals.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,279,940 times
I have heard time and time again - donate to your local shelter. You can see where your money goes.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,642,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I have heard time and time again - donate to your local shelter. You can see where your money goes.
Always a good idea if you want to help the animals in need that are in your area.

However, if you want to be involved in change on a larger scale then by all means donate to the national orgainzations (like HSUS) that work to enact, enforce and educate for animal welfare reforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs