U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,748,516 times

Advertisements

The true issue regarding "Reputable Breeders" is its a made up designation. Anyone can call themself or claim someone is a "Reputable Breeder' simple by saying it. So some of you may be in agreement on the principal of the subject but getting hung up on a phrase that has no qualifications for its use.

My personal belief is a reputable breeder is someone with a specific dog that is being breed for the breed or line continuation but treats that dog as a family pet, not a commerical product. They have no plans for payment based on that breeding, its for the love/pride of the breed or their particular line. Once they treat and see that animal as a commerical product, they are a "Commerical Breeder" regardless of what they think they are. Your Pimping the Pup for Profit. So "Reputable Breeder" is a meanlingless phrase as a whole except for what we each make it out to be, and that means nobody is wrong in their definition.

So with that, how do we discuss this without getting hung up on meaningless phrases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,611,014 times
to me the bottom line is that too many dogs are being bred as it is!!! "reputable breeder" or not.

not enough good owners for many of those dogs and the world is over populated with dogs.
if you are a caring breeder you will also have in your contract that you will take puppy/dog back
no matter what!!

it is awful how many dogs are being thrown out into the wind, no matter how much breeders state that they inspect owners homes/lives some of those dogs still end up in the hands of clueless owners.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,018,924 times
Quote:
to me the bottom line is that too many dogs are being bred as it is!!! "reputable breeder" or not.
,it's the dogs produced by mills and back yard breeding that are filling up the shelters.

Quote:
not enough good owners for many of those dogs and the world is over populated with dogs.
if you are a caring breeder you will also have in your contract that you will take puppy/dog back
no matter what!!
1. 75% of our pups are spoken for by the time they are 5wk old. We have folks lined up for pups from around the world.
2.Yes we do have a contract that states we will replace the pup/dog with one of equal value.

3.We have taken back a few but we don't take them back just because you decided not to have a dog or that you want a different dog. You As a OWNER of the dog YOU need to take the responsibility of ownership seroiusely, it's not a think to be returned just because you got board.

We have taken in doge that the owners have passed-away ans re-homed them.

Quote:
it is awful how many dogs are being thrown out into the wind, no matter how much breeders state that they inspect owners homes/lives some of those dogs still end up in the hands of clueless owners.
so we would be better off not allowing anyone to have a pet because no one is responsible enough in your eyes.

Maybe prospective owners should have to take a course on dog ownership and pass a test and be licensed to be able to have a dog.

Bottom line for us is we produce a top caliber animal
We charge a lot for them.
when folks pay 1 to 5k for a dog they rarely just chain it up out back or surrender it to a shelter.

Just so you know not all of us are adding to the problem. There are some breeders who care.

Yes, just because someone is a member of the AKC does not make them reputable nether does being licensed by the USDA.
but at least the usda is making sure the conditions for the animals are more than just humane.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,243,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
,it's the dogs produced by mills and back yard breeding that are filling up the shelters.

1. 75% of our pups are spoken for by the time they are 5wk old. We have folks lined up for pups from around the world.
2.Yes we do have a contract that states we will replace the pup/dog with one of equal value.

3.We have taken back a few but we don't take them back just because you decided not to have a dog or that you want a different dog. You As a OWNER of the dog YOU need to take the responsibility of ownership seroiusely, it's not a think to be returned just because you got board.

We have taken in doge that the owners have passed-away ans re-homed them.

so we would be better off not allowing anyone to have a pet because no one is responsible enough in your eyes.

Maybe prospective owners should have to take a course on dog ownership and pass a test and be licensed to be able to have a dog.

Bottom line for us is we produce a top caliber animal
We charge a lot for them.
when folks pay 1 to 5k for a dog they rarely just chain it up out back or surrender it to a shelter.

Just so you know not all of us are adding to the problem. There are some breeders who care.

Yes, just because someone is a member of the AKC does not make them reputable nether does being licensed by the USDA.
but at least the usda is making sure the conditions for the animals are more than just humane.
100% agreed.

I have had a $1000 deposit on a pup to be born in the mid summer for months.

It will be the same cross as Ape.

BTW, the breeder wants both of my hounds back.

No way would I do that.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,611,014 times
granted there are responsible breeders out there but surely you can see both sides of the coin?
1-5 k for a dog does not indicate anything to me , no need to smack your forehead on that.

akc means nothing , it is equal to registering your car . yes licensing by the usda does garuantee somewhat humane living but a lot of kennels go under the radar.

by your own words you have had to take some dogs back , imagine how many breeders do not , those animals also end up in the shelters.

owners taking some kind of course in animal ownership would be utopia but that will
never happen.
the least any owner should be encouraged to do is dog training courses.

anyway , while I can tell you felt singled out I really was not arguing about
your kennel.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,018,924 times
Quote:
granted there are responsible breeders out there but surely you can see both sides of the coin?
Ans surely you can understand the responsible ones are the majority.

Quote:
1-5 k for a dog does not indicate anything to me , no need to smack your forehead on that.
Go back and read read it then,
When someone buys a cheep animal that treat it like, well,
that it is disposable , it lacks value.
They will chain it up out back and forget about it, or it may not become part of the family.

When someone buys a quality animal for a lot of money they tend to take care of that prized possession.

Quote:
akc means nothing , it is equal to registering your car . yes licensing by the usda does garuantee somewhat humane living but a lot of kennels go under the radar.
While I may not agree with everything the AKC does it does mean something.
and the data base is a good thing so is OFA testing.

Purebred, you can not register that car (dog) that you built from two different manufactures, (breeds)

They do do DNA testing to ensure this.

Yes ,some do fly under the radar as do unregistered cars.

Quote:
by your own words you have had to take some dogs back , imagine how many breeders do not , those animals also end up in the shelters.
Any animal can, it's the responsibility of the owner of the animal, not the breeder as to what someone does with a animal that they own.
(unless their is a contract stating otherwise.)

Quote:
owners taking some kind of course in animal ownership would be utopia but that will
never happen.
the least any owner should be encouraged to do is dog training courses.
We offer FREE (owner) training with every pup or dog we sell.
We train you on how to train your dog, we don't train the dog for you. That's a bond that should be forged between master and DOG.

Quote:
anyway , while I can tell you felt singled out I really was not arguing about
your kennel.
I don't feel singled out as I took it on, but I do feel the need to point out that the majority of breeders are on the up and up. It's the bad apples that get all the attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or