Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

and these are just the REGISTERED commercial breeders and brokers.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
OMG- what if anything is being done to curb this insanity? I know the NRA is all over the issue of puppy mills and have tied up alot of suggested reforms in other states- are they doing the same in Missouri?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Nra?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
National Rifle Association. They are involved in trying to defeat puppy mill bans because of hunting dogs and some other issues. i was surprised to learn that as well. When I have time I will google NRA and puppy mills. or maybe somebody with more information can post.

N.C. has horrible reputation as puppy mill paradise

Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Well that just gives me another reason to dislike the NRA. They need to extract themselves from the puppy mill issues and focus on handing out more guns.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
Not to downplay the imporatnce of the numbers, but Missouri state licenesing laws are also favorable to breeders of animals regulated under the AWA that are not dogs and cats. So having a state with hundreds of USDA licnesed commerical breeders for animals besides just dogs and cats, also causes their numbers to be high. If this was in the general pet forum area, it's revelence would be more on target, but in the dog only sub-forum, without knowing how many are commercial breeders of dogs, that would be like saying Deleware is a state with the worst laws for animal welfare because so many corporations involved in the business of goods or services some feel are harmful towards animals are incorporated there. Once again, not to downplay the numbers but, they are not a accurate representation of the issues involving dogs and cats commerical breeding.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well that just gives me another reason to dislike the NRA. They need to extract themselves from the puppy mill issues and focus on handing out more guns.
I am new to the hound world.

And there are things I don't like, things that it took time getting used to and things I will call animal control about.

The friends I have made spend a small fortune on their dogs.

Just like every other thing in life....there is good and bad practices.

Puppy mills????

There no excuse for lack of care.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
In OK they are trying to crack down on 'private' breeders. Over eleven breeding dogs makes a breeder. They even formed a state agency for it. But the law is enforcable by county, and if the county doesn't think its worth it, it isn't. And they've even had open treats of death called in. Some of the politicos in this state are trying to eliminate the law and agency.

In my county there are lots of strays, especially cats. There is not shelter in town, you can't take animals to the nearest one, even for strays. Spaying and neutering low cost is available but you have do search for it. So people just go dump what they don't want.

Don't get me wrong, for there are many things I love about this region. But the attitude toward animals isn't one of them. All of mine are personal rescues, and more than not are still here since I couldn't find a home.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OMG- what if anything is being done to curb this insanity? I know the NRA is all over the issue of puppy mills and have tied up alot of suggested reforms in other states- are they doing the same in Missouri?
I just googled 'NRA and Puppy Mill". The result makes me want to vomit. I'd love to take just a few of the people that would fight against Puppy mill legislation and drag them to a mill to actually see the condition. It is a sight that changes you for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs