Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
As brutal as PF can be - this is the best advice on here from a legal perspective. Emotionally - I think we all would want to keep it and give it the home it deserves. Legally however, it is the property of another and to keep it without making an attempt to return it to its owner could be considered as theft. Not a popular belief but unfortunately, the one that would prevail in most court systems
Not many prosecutors would move on this.

So, it would become civil if at all......

Let them sue me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:51 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I wonder if the OP is a dog-napper and is trying to get some 'expert" advice on how to fool everyone into thinking they found it in case they got caught. Hummm twice the same dog and no other??? The owner was a jerk casue they caught you with their lost/stolen dog?

Didn;t we have someone who posted about their dog going missing and they found the dog at the groomers owned by someon else. Didn't the folks here tell that person to do what it takes to get their dog back from that person even if it means breaking the law or commiting a crime? Wasn't one suggestion to get violent with the person? So now this owner is a jerk cause they are pissed off at the person who stole their dog from their yard?

I say you retrun the dog to the owner cause you know who it is. If you have issues with the owner's care of the animal, take it up with the authorites. But if you decide to just keep it, all you are is a dog napper and a thief!
This is a BS post - try reading the OP's first paragraph again (and again as required) she is trying to help the dog The owner - if that was even his status - did he show any proof he owned the dog Maybe HE is a dog napper and was trying to score a husky...

If the owner does not have time to take care of the dog -- he will never have enough time or brains to sue anybody... At my age I can always say "is that the same dog I found last month??"

Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
I wonder if the OP is a dog-napper and is trying to get some 'expert" advice on how to fool everyone into thinking they found it in case they got caught. Hummm twice the same dog and no other??? The owner was a jerk casue they caught you with their lost/stolen dog?

Didn;t we have someone who posted about their dog going missing and they found the dog at the groomers owned by someon else. Didn't the folks here tell that person to do what it takes to get their dog back from that person even if it means breaking the law or commiting a crime? Wasn't one suggestion to get violent with the person? So now this owner is a jerk cause they are pissed off at the person who stole their dog from their yard?

I say you retrun the dog to the owner cause you know who it is. If you have issues with the owner's care of the animal, take it up with the authorites. But if you decide to just keep it, all you are is a dog napper and a thief!
Treenoid is right, this is a BS post.

Why would someone who stole a dog parade it up and down a busy street in broad daylight?

As far as being prosecuted for theft if you take an abused/neglected/found dog? Highly unlikely. Where I live you can torture and kill a dog and all you will get is a slap on the wrist......you will be fined a few hundred dollars and put on probation.....THAT is all.

Why do you think I stole the dog I told you about?

BECAUSE I KNEW THE AUTHORITIES COULDN'T DO A DAMN THING TO SAVE THAT DOG!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Treenoid is right, this is a BS post.

Why would someone who stole a dog parade it up and down a busy street in broad daylight?

As far as being prosecuted for theft if you take an abused/neglected/found dog? Highly unlikely. Where I live you can torture and kill a dog and all you will get is a slap on the wrist......you will be fined a few hundred dollars and put on probation.....THAT is all.

Why do you think I stole the dog I told you about?

BECAUSE I KNEW THE AUTHORITIES COULDN'T DO A DAMN THING TO SAVE THAT DOG!
Sorry but by the letter of the law - its not a BS post. PF doesn't pull punches and political correctness usually isn't in play but unfortunately, the post is very corrrect - not popular - but correct. However, I jusr re-read the post and the OP DID put up flyers advising of a "found dog". That is all that is needed to comply with the law. Problem comes in though that if the original owner does find out that you have the dog, they can still came after you for its return. I'm not happy telling you this but it IS the truth

Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,161 times
Quote:
Sorry but by the letter of the law -
Where you are will be different than where I am - even if you are only a mile away...One thing for sure no two people will have the same interpretation of the law as written and some will see loopholes large enough to drive a bus thru... The OP was right to do all she did.. as someone else stated "No good deed goes unpunished" That is why I do all my complaining/notifing etc via email... You can always copy it up the chain of command till someone things it is an issue

My dog looks just like the one down the street - to the casual observer...when someone raps on my door because "MY" dog is roaming the neighborhood, I will count to 10 and politely explain that my dog is NEVER outside without me and there has been a mistake... if they are there to TAKE chevy (her picture in my profile) - I will not so politely explain that unless the SWAT team is there - she is not going anywhere ..............

Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry but by the letter of the law - its not a BS post. PF doesn't pull punches and political correctness usually isn't in play but unfortunately, the post is very corrrect - not popular - but correct. OP is now aware that the dog does belong to someone (per the prior contact). Nothing the OP said inducates abusive behavour to the dog. Not making an effort to find that owner could subject the OP to criminal prosecution or at the very least a civil judgement against them. Easiest way to comply with the law, put up a few "found" flyers in the neighborhood. Problem resolved.
Let's just put it this way. Until our laws give animals the same protections that children have......I will continue to act in the best interest of the animal. I am not going to pride myself on following the letter of the law while I watch a dog die of heat stroke in a yard or get hit by a car if I can prevent it.

How about looking at this situation from another perspective?

How would you feel if you returned this dog to an owner who you KNOW allows the dog to get loose......and then a mother and child are driving down the road one day, this dog darts in front of their car, the mother swerves, the car hits a tree and they both get killed? Would you feel all warm and fuzzy about the fact that you followed the letter of the law? Or would you feel guilty knowing full well you could have prevented the accident by finding that dog a new home when you had the chance?

The dog the OP found has been found TWICE now with no collar and no tags.....the owner doesn't care if the dog gets hit by a car or causes an accident that gets someone killed......HE JUST DOES NOT CARE.....period. Law or no law.....the MORAL thing to do is to find that poor dog a new owner who will take good care of him.

And good luck trying to prosecute someone who finds a STRAY dog with no tags and no chip and keeps it or finds it a new home.

BTW.....allowing a dog to run loose is abuse. It is no different than putting a two year old child out in the yard by itself while you go to the store. In both instances you are putting the welfare of the child or the dog at risk.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
BTW.....allowing a dog to run loose is abuse.
So, you are saying that hedgehog_mom is a animal abuser?
You got to make up your mind cause you just made her out to be a savior and now your accusing her of animal abuse!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
BTW.....allowing a dog to run loose is abuse. It is no different than putting a two year old child out in the yard by itself while you go to the store. In both instances you are putting the welfare of the child or the dog at risk.
You do realize that dogs are considered property under the law, right? Do you also have any idea the nature of Huskies? They are amazing escape artists! Even the most dilligent owner can end up with their dog being gone in a flash. Most Huskies I know are smarter than any 2 year old human and are obviously a lot more athletic. Sometimes its not a matter of allowing, its a matter of "stuff happens". The OP doesn't say that the dog is malnourished or ungroomed or in any sort of crisis. I don't see any abuse here or even neglect. Keeping it if the owner could be found is the wrong thing to do. My opinion and that of the courts - nuff said.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
So, you are saying that hedgehog_mom is a animal abuser?
You got to make up your mind cause you just made her out to be a savior and now your accusing her of animal abuse!
That is not what I said and you know it.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
You do realize that dogs are considered property under the law, right? Do you also have any idea the nature of Huskies? They are amazing escape artists! Even the most dilligent owner can end up with their dog being gone in a flash. Most Huskies I know are smarter than any 2 year old human and are obviously a lot more athletic. Sometimes its not a matter of allowing, its a matter of "stuff happens". The OP doesn't say that the dog is malnourished or ungroomed or in any sort of crisis. I don't see any abuse here or even neglect. Keeping it if the owner could be found is the wrong thing to do. My opinion and that of the courts - nuff said.
The vast majority of people that own Huskies manage to keep their dogs under control. I do not see Huskies running the streets on a regular basis, do you?

And yes, I do realize dogs are considered property under the law. I will bet the owner of that dog knows it too......and that is why he doesn't have tags on his dog. He doesn't want to be held liable if his dog causes an accident, destroys property or bites someone.

You live by your conscience, I will live by mine - nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs