Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

My poor baby died from cancer of the jaw. Before he died, his jaw disintegrated, I had to spoon/syringe feed him. although he had plenty of pain meds, he seemed to get the most relief from laying his little head against my shoulder. Hey, that was 5 years ago, I'm still alive! I only regret I didn't have him PTS sooner, it was so obvious he was dying, nothing more could be done. But I would never deny my furbaby's last request, more loving from Mommy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My poor baby died from cancer of the jaw. Before he died, his jaw disintegrated, I had to spoon/syringe feed him. although he had plenty of pain meds, he seemed to get the most relief from laying his little head against my shoulder. Hey, that was 5 years ago, I'm still alive! I only regret I didn't have him PTS sooner, it was so obvious he was dying, nothing more could be done. But I would never deny my furbaby's last request, more loving from Mommy!
Amen.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
You know what I'd say to that study?

Really? As if compassion were only limited to those of the human race [and even then that's somewhat lacking].

Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I've reread the article and I understand more now. The doctor who sent the article to the Journal of Infectious Diseases said this knowledge would not change even how he would interact with a dying pet. he was simply trying to educate doctors as to how to question their patients so that doctors can help their own patients. Doctors need to ask all sorts of questions to make proper diagoses and come up with best course of treatment.

There is absolutely nothing in this article which states lab animals were used for this study. and to blast all scientist as evil is extremely naive. We would not have the meds and treatments for humans or animals without scientists.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've reread the article and I understand more now. The doctor who sent the article to the Journal of Infectious Diseases said this knowledge would not change even how he would interact with a dying pet. he was simply trying to educate doctors as to how to question their patients so that doctors can help their own patients. Doctors need to ask all sorts of questions to make proper diagoses and come up with best course of treatment.

There is absolutely nothing in this article which states lab animals were used for this study. and to blast all scientist as evil is extremely naive. We would not have the meds and treatments for humans or animals without scientists.
The mere suggestion stinks to you know where.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,103 times
You know, I'd rather cuddle my sick/dying pet than be around sick or screaming children. How many times do parents and/or guardians (uncles, aunts etc) get sick due to their kids? What is so wrong with giving your pet the best last moments? There are worse things out there than caressing your old dog's head for the last time, or burying your face in your dog or cat's fur (and other pets!). This research is so dumb, I hate to even finish reading it.

Last edited by beatlecrazy; 03-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: bad wording

Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yes, exactly....

yes, exactly....

yes, exactly.....

yes, exactly.....

Ditto and yes I cuddled Dash, Jazz and Phoenix during their last days on earth and at the vets before they left me.

I agree the article is not saying don't do this but is telling doctors to consider it when someone comes in with those symptoms so they can treat it correctly. Diagnosing illness is like solving a a mystery and there is a lot of hit and miss invloved so the more facts one has the easier it is and this is probably one illness they do not think about.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Of course, I always practice basis hygiene with my animals. We never share food, I don't think its "cute" to take a picture with a dog licking your baby's face and send to relatives, etc. I especially can't understand people who kiss their dogs and cats on the mouth----yeech!

But my animals are trained not to eat from our plates (they get their own plate with a tidbit), they do NOT walk on tables or food preparation areas, and we don't French kiss! Also, we always wash our hands before eating, especially if we just handled an animal.

Still, we sleep with our fur babies. I keep a big, old sheet on the bed during the day and remove it at night, to keep the fur down, but then, the animals sleep with us, so that sort of defeats the purpose. Oh, well.....just do what you can and use common sense.

Although I lost Nibble 5+ years ago, I still grieve for him at times. I couldn't imagine him dying and not cuddling him. Don't you think if the cat were going to make you sick it would have by now? You can't spend all your life being afraid of every last germ! All poor Nibble wanted was loving, and at least I gave him that, my furbaby is now at peace!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM

653 posts, read 945,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
would this information change how you interact with your dying pet? the lady who licked the same spoon she fed her dying dog with was not too bright but it seems just kissing a dying pet can sometimes spread serious illness.

Vitals - Cuddling dying pets gives owners scary infections
That wouldn't stop me from holding my sick or dying fur child. That's when they need me the most.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:46 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Having just 2 weeks ago cuddled and kissed a very dear dog while she was gently relieved of her suffering, this report...this steaming pile of excrement has me seeing red. A scientific discover from Arkon Ohio? Really? Nothing against the fine state of Ohio but I wouldn't call it the center for scientific discoveries. All through this trash report it speaks of the rarity of the occurances they are reporting and yet the title screams as if its happening every day. The author of this nonsense should be ashamed. None of my animals will ever be without my comfort if I have any say in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs