Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Having just 2 weeks ago cuddled and kissed a very dear dog while she was gently relieved of her suffering, this report...this steaming pile of excrement has me seeing red.
It wasn't my story to tell, but you and that sweet girl were exactly who I was thinking of when I opened this thread, Cat.

xo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It wasn't my story to tell, but you and that sweet girl were exactly who I was thinking of when I opened this thread, Cat.

xo
Thanks D. I'm still pretty heartsore. Gonna be for a while.

Venting helps.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times
Post News, Cuddling dying pets gives owners scary infections.

Comforting dying pets through their last days turned out to be dangerous for animal owners who wound up with life-threatening infections from the close contact, a new report finds.

A dog owner who licked honey from the dropper she used to feed her pooch, and two cat owners who cuddled and kissed their kitties for days were hospitalized with respiratory illnesses linked to common bacteria the pets harbor in their mouths.

Vitals - Cuddling dying pets gives owners scary infections

Old 03-03-2012, 12:14 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,166 times
Yuck. licking honey from the dropper used to feed a pet? That's disgusting. I haven't looked at the article yet, but it has me interested enough to click on since I do have two cats and a dog.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Well, that person was just plain stupid! While I love my pets and kiss them and let them "kiss" me by licking my face, we don't do it on the mouth or nearby. And I can't imagine the honey-licking thing, that's just plain gross. Certainly if they were ill, we would not be doing it and I would be washing my hands a LOT more.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,703 times
Wow- I would think so. Especially if they're dying of some sort of infectious disease. When your emotions take over....I suppose all logic gets put to the wayside.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times
This was also posted over on the pet forum. I gave my thoughts over there.

study says cuddling dying pets may make us really sick

Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times
I wonder if eating out of dishes that people let there pets eat out of is a good idea? I know of people that has done this for years. They say there dish washer is hot enough to kill the germs???

Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Too many people in the medical profession regard animals as "things" to be used to test their theories. The plight of lab animals is hiddeous and there are vast numbers of researchers who are enjoying every minute of it. It can't be just about the money; there's plenty of money in every branch of medecine. The people who torture animals don't want anyone to love animals as living, feeling creatures, creatures who have no concept of malice.

We see these warnings from researchers on a regular basis. They're not very scientific for people who claim to be scientists. They cite a few cases and insist that this means the problem is widespread. This time they've hit a new low. They don't want us to comfort our beloved pets at the end of their lives. They admit that the bacteria are common but hit at both pets and those who love them at the time when they are most vulnerable in their supposed scientific concern. They are evil people.
There was absolutely nothing in the article about any use of lab animals. Lab animals have nothing to do with it.

There was no suggestion that the problem is widespread. It is certainly likely that it may be found more often if doctors look for it.

There is nothing unscientific about the report. That is all that it is. It points out that these three patients had infections with bacteria commonly found in cats and dogs and that all three had contact with a sick pet before they became ill themselves.

The motivation behind the report was to advise doctors to consider contact with a sick pet when people present with an unusual infection. Nothing more.

These are not evil people. They are doctors who treat sick humans.

No one suggested that pet owners not comfort a dying pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Even if the information was true -- and I don't feel certain that it is -- it would not keep me from cuddling Artie if he were sick or dying. If he were sick or dying, that's when he'd need or want my cuddling the most, I'd imagine, and I wouldn't stop being his provider of all things based on this article.
What motivation would there be to lie about it? It is an observation that three women got sick with an organism commonly found in the mouths of cats and dogs after comforting a sick pet. There is really no reason to doubt the truth of the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Three documented cases of an illness (that is easily treated and sounds no worse than a bad cold) among how many tens of millions of pet parents will not prevent me from giving every ounce of love and comfort I can when the day comes . How many parents of human children get sick every year during cold season by sharing germs with their puking, coughing, snot-leaking little angels?
I was really sick for about two weeks last month. DH kept his distance and fortunately did not catch what I had. If you have a sick child, the risk of your getting sick is certainly increased. You can comfort that child without kissing him on the mouth or sharing food and utensils with him, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
You know what I'd say to that study?

Really? As if compassion were only limited to those of the human race [and even then that's somewhat lacking].
Nowhere does the article say you should not comfort your dying pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've reread the article and I understand more now. The doctor who sent the article to the Journal of Infectious Diseases said this knowledge would not change even how he would interact with a dying pet. he was simply trying to educate doctors as to how to question their patients so that doctors can help their own patients. Doctors need to ask all sorts of questions to make proper diagoses and come up with best course of treatment.

There is absolutely nothing in this article which states lab animals were used for this study. and to blast all scientist as evil is extremely naive. We would not have the meds and treatments for humans or animals without scientists.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
The mere suggestion stinks to you know where.
Mere suggestion of what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
You know, I'd rather cuddle my sick/dying pet than be around sick or screaming children. How many times do parents and/or guardians (uncles, aunts etc) get sick due to their kids? What is so wrong with giving your pet the best last moments? There are worse things out there than caressing your old dog's head for the last time, or burying your face in your dog or cat's fur (and other pets!). This research is so dumb, I hate to even finish reading it.
It is not "research" and it is not "dumb." The ladies most likely caught what they had due to close contact with their pets. That is all it says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Ditto and yes I cuddled Dash, Jazz and Phoenix during their last days on earth and at the vets before they left me.

I agree the article is not saying don't do this but is telling doctors to consider it when someone comes in with those symptoms so they can treat it correctly. Diagnosing illness is like solving a a mystery and there is a lot of hit and miss invloved so the more facts one has the easier it is and this is probably one illness they do not think about.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Having just 2 weeks ago cuddled and kissed a very dear dog while she was gently relieved of her suffering, this report...this steaming pile of excrement has me seeing red. A scientific discover from Arkon Ohio? Really? Nothing against the fine state of Ohio but I wouldn't call it the center for scientific discoveries. All through this trash report it speaks of the rarity of the occurances they are reporting and yet the title screams as if its happening every day. The author of this nonsense should be ashamed. None of my animals will ever be without my comfort if I have any say in the matter.
I am very sorry for the loss of your pet. I have been there. I know how it hurts. However, I think your grief is making you over react to a report of a simple medical observation.

The title says nothing about the frequency of the problem.

There are at least two medical schools in the Akron area. It is not exactly a scientific dead zone. The report came from a community hospital. That is where the patients were identified. No one is claiming a major medical discovery. It is not a trash report and there is no reason for the author to be ashamed.

Come on, people. For pet owners, the message should be that it is not a good idea to eat after your pets (the woman who licked the dropper was stupid.)

If your pet is sick, do not let it lick you in the mouth and consider that the kisses may be for your comfort rather than the pet's. Snuggle, massage, do what you would normally do, and wash your hands and face more often.

If you get sick after caring for a sick or dying pet, let your doctor know. You might even mention that you read the case report. It might streamline your getting a correct diagnosis and treatment.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Right on- ten thousand rep points for you....

Thanks for trying- again- to explain what the article actually says. Nobody, least of all the doctor said not to comfort our passing pets.

I'm wondering if anybody actually READ the article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs