U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 PM

43 posts, read 140,055 times

Advertisements

My dog tore out the squeaker from one of his soft toys that squeak.
It damaged his intestine, perforated, and spread infection through his body. He has to have surgery, 7" of intestine removed and he almost died. Our vet said that she sees so many dogs that swallow stuffing and squeakers from toys.
Please don't get toys with squeakers for your dogs, or at least take them out before you let your dog play with it.
Avoid what my little one went through
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,894,817 times
I am sorry your pup had such a bad time but I am glad he's recovering! 👍

I usually remove the noise maker before giving them the toy. The sound of the squeak has the sound a dying animal makes. 🐹 I don't want to encourage them, so I remove the squeaker.

Have you ever noticed how excited they get when you squeak the toy? Ever wonder why? Well, now you know.

I usually buy toys without them but a few have slipped through. We have surgery (on the toy) and I remove the squeaker, sew it up and hand off the toy. Makes them (the toy) last long in my house, too. ✌

Kong toys last the best around here, no squeaking, just chewing! (lol)

Again, glad you pup is doing better!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Thanks for the renewed warning and I'm so sorry your pal has suffered.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 AM

16,222 posts, read 25,409,215 times
I'm so sorry that you went through this!

Artie ate a squeaker once. He vomited a dozen times that morning before our vet appointment. They x-rayed him and gave him stuff to make him vomit and make him NOT vomit... Thankfully he didn't need surgery, but he NEVER gets squeaky toys anymore. NEVER.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,765,259 times
were "supervised only" for toys, anything thats not "indestructable" (the kongs) get picked up and put away if im not around to keep an eye on them.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,241,247 times
When Bear and Angel where about four they got all kinds of toys for Christmas.

Bear liked one of the squeaky toys.

New Years Day he was not eating and acting like to had to poo......

Before long we where in the vet's office.

He had something in his intestine. (X-RAYS)

The vet gave him some relaxant and pain meds.

He passed it...we were lucky.

It was part of a squeaker.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM

653 posts, read 697,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalpal View Post
My dog tore out the squeaker from one of his soft toys that squeak.
It damaged his intestine, perforated, and spread infection through his body. He has to have surgery, 7" of intestine removed and he almost died. Our vet said that she sees so many dogs that swallow stuffing and squeakers from toys.
Please don't get toys with squeakers for your dogs, or at least take them out before you let your dog play with it.
Avoid what my little one went through
Oh no, I'm SO sorry to hear that. I hope your baby is okay.

Thank you for the reminder. My kids will only play with squeaky toys (and, since they're Chis, the squeaker is too large to fit past the front of their mouth - I checked), but I'm still so cautious that I'll only let them play with one in my supervision (I'm too neurotic to let anyone else supervise). Thank you for the reminder that I'm not being an overprotective mom by being so cautious with those toys.

I hope your baby gets better very soon!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,922,203 times
I buy one toy only,and have for all the dogs I have owned.
It is sold at Pet's mart.
It is ln the shape of a small football, with small teats all over it.
It squeaks only when squeezed, and the air passing through it is what makes it squeak.
There is no squeaker inside it.
Completely safe for all dogs.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs