U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,152,810 times

Advertisements

I found a previous post about this topic, but it dates to 2009 and is in a thread about Fleas: http://www.city-data.com/forum/9192516-post10.html

Just wanted to post a new warning about these two drugs, when taken together. I didn't know about the interaction and gave Bandit his monthly Ivermectin Thursday night, and also gave him a dose of the flea preventive Comfortis, which we have never used before. Friday morning when we woke, he was obviously overdrugged. The symptoms were: blown pupils, possible sight issues (he bumped into a few things), pronounced lethargy, discoordination. All very concerning, but not necessarily alarming, and so we didn't go to the e-vet. I left a note for the sitter and told her to call me if she saw anything alarming, and her note back to me was that he seemed fine. By the time I got home Friday night, he was pretty much normal.

However, last night I Googled Ivermectin and Comfortis and found that the two drugs taken together can have serious adverse affects and even cause death. I emailed my vet's office and we spoke on the phone today. They were naturally upset that they'd sold me the Comfortis, considering Bandit's history of Ivermectin use, and told me that they'd had an office-wide meeting today to discuss the drug combination, had pulled all the records of their pet-patients on Ivermectin, and had implemented new protocols to ensure this didn't happen for other patients. (This was one of those cases of the front-desk people not knowing that it was a bad combination. Evidently, the inside of Bandit's medical record has the warning, but there's nothing on the outside that might have grabbed the eye of the front-desk staffers.)

So anyway...if you have a dog on Ivermectin -- usually used to treat mange or other mite-related issues -- don't give him Comfortis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:44 PM

9,285 posts, read 16,124,531 times
wow... glad Bandit is ok....

and thanks for the heads up!!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM

2,700 posts, read 5,152,810 times
For the last couple days Bandit has had diarrhea and vomiting, with diminished appetite and thirst. I took him to the vet this morning. They're thinking that what we're seeing now is a result of the Comfortis, but that the other symptoms from Friday morning were Ivermectin toxicity. The vet told me that Ivermectin metabolizes through the body very quickly and that Bandit shouldn't have any of that left in his system now, after 5 days. I guess it's a different case with the Comfortis. I have a friend who is a vet in Italy, and she said that about 5% of their dogs (who are on Comfortis) react with diarrhea/vomiting. I guess Bandit is just one of the unlucky few. (Or lucky few, depending on your perspective. As I was Googling Ivermectin and Comfortis, I did come across a few accounts of the dogs dying.)

Anyway, they saw me for free and were super apologetic. I stayed home with him today to be on vomit and diarrhea patrol, so now we're just chillin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs