U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:47 PM
 
653 posts, read 739,344 times
Reputation: 408

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why is it people can't understand that acting all fussy and riled up and pushing the dog (away) only riles 'em up more?

Omg...if I want to start a wrestling game up with my dogs, all I have to do is walk up to them and push them.
Lucky for me, that's actually one probably I don't have since I have Chihuahuas. lol

So true about average-sized dogs, though. I think it's just ignorance. The humans don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,584 posts, read 33,688,174 times
Reputation: 16830
Everyone who comes to the door is a new friend as far as Nanners is concerned. She doesn't bark, she leans and rubs her head against people. If someone isn't a dog fan (as in maybe one person I know) I make her get on her bed and stay there. The dog people love her affection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,400 posts, read 31,382,423 times
Reputation: 8093
Have the people make the dog Sit before they pet them. After 2 yrs of mine & Kevins friends getting jumped on they [humans] Finally listened to me! Another thing you can do is hang a leash on the door & Dont open until the dogs leash & sitting at your side! Now I dont need aleash even with strange people & Never with friends LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
 
297 posts, read 641,185 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. Let me know when you got that figured out...

I was going to say the same thing!

And another question to ponder... If you took a doorbell out into the wild, would wild dogs bark and go nuts when you rang it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:40 AM
 
653 posts, read 739,344 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Everyone who comes to the door is a new friend as far as Nanners is concerned. She doesn't bark, she leans and rubs her head against people. If someone isn't a dog fan (as in maybe one person I know) I make her get on her bed and stay there. The dog people love her affection.
I love everything about Nanners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 AM
 
653 posts, read 739,344 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Have the people make the dog Sit before they pet them. After 2 yrs of mine & Kevins friends getting jumped on they [humans] Finally listened to me! Another thing you can do is hang a leash on the door & Dont open until the dogs leash & sitting at your side! Now I dont need aleash even with strange people & Never with friends LOL
Good tip. Thanks.

Still, my trouble is finding enough new people to do this training with. The pups already know everyone they already know, obviously. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 AM
 
653 posts, read 739,344 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
I was going to say the same thing!

And another question to ponder... If you took a doorbell out into the wild, would wild dogs bark and go nuts when you rang it?
lol Ah, the eternal question of life. One much larger than "chicken or egg" or "if a tree falls".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top