Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 21,013 times

Advertisements

No,not really. Check out Dr. Steve Eisen's website...dogcanceracademy. There are recipes for healthy homemade treats.
He does not ever recommend grains of any sort. No rice, corn, etc. Just meat and veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:19 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
My Shepherd gets canned food for his meals, but for treats, I give him a handful of the pedigree dry food.
Once in a while I stuff the kong with it, and he has a ball getting it out.
Bob.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM

110 posts, read 347,979 times
I too make treats for my dog. I make two kinds- liver balls and beef jerky. The jerky is definitely NOT cheaper than the pre packaged variety but I can control what goes in them them so I dont mind paying more to know that my dog is eating "safe" food.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
I bought a couple of bags of Chewy Louie dog treats made by Red Barn. One is ice cream flavored filled and the other is peanut butter. My dogs are CRAZY about them. They are made in the USA.

Chewy Louie Biscuits | RedBarn Pet Products

Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM

16 posts, read 30,254 times
Yes! The Natural Balance L.I.T. (limited ingredient) treats are safe, healthy, crunchy, and don’t have any corn, soy, etc. The price is right for us too. My dogs like the sweet potato & chicken ones best, and they come in two sizes of bones, small and large. You can check their safety by going to the Natural Balance website and entering the batch number on your bag. They test for everything so you know they are good for your dogs.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbear876 View Post
Yes! The Natural Balance L.I.T. (limited ingredient) treats are safe, healthy, crunchy, and don’t have any corn, soy, etc. The price is right for us too. My dogs like the sweet potato & chicken ones best, and they come in two sizes of bones, small and large. You can check their safety by going to the Natural Balance website and entering the batch number on your bag. They test for everything so you know they are good for your dogs.
Here's a lettre from the president of that comopany about their rceall for salmonella:
Letter from the President of Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc® (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/letter_from_president.html - broken link)

All pet foods and treats can be contaminated. Truth is there are no 100% safe pet foods. Often times the items find there way in to the distribution chain and into the homes of the und user before a problem is detected.

One way to reduce the chances of giving your pet bad food is to know the manufactures testing process. Bet many have no idea that their favorite product enages is release while testing practices versus the hold and test method. You will see the difference when a recall notice is for products sold to the public versus a recall but not impacting anything sold to the public. The first has laready been shipped to stores and sold to you while they are testingt he product and they find something wrong and have to recall all the items and tellyuo to throw awy the bad stuff. The second is the products are sent for distribution but held until testing is completed and the product released.

So ask yourself, would you rather give your pet a food that was found contaminated only once that year but was already sold to you and fed to your pet, or would you rather give your pet a product that although was found contaminated 4 times that year, none was ever relased to the public so you or the pet was never at risk? Knowing how the product is handled is a key in deciding what is and isn't safe.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,253 times
Default dog treats

I'm always looking for treats for Charlie. he doesn't like hard crunchy treats - except for his sister's Cheese or Chicken flavored "Party Mix" treats... he loves them!!! His favorite treat is the Waggin Train chicken jerky - but then I found it was made it China and causing all kinds of problems in other dogs... so that went away. I will break up the soft Milk Bones and give him that, but I've resorted to string cheese....
He loves green beans, I steam them and put them in his food. I buy and boil thighs and keep that in the fridge to put in his dinner occasionally...

I think I'll try to dehydrate some chicken for him, make him jerky....

thanks for the suggestions.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:25 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
Wagatha's no oututsourcing...visit the website and read for yourself. I've been using them for years and continue recommending them.

Welcome to Wagatha's

Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
The OP will have to look deep and hard for a product that's either not made in China or has no ingredients that are made in China. While a dog treat may be made in the US, it does not mean that some of the ingredients for it don't come from China.

In my view the best thing to do is to cook or bake some treats from the products you consume. For example, you can bake treats that contain salmon and other fish, brown rice, flour, and so forth. Just figure which of your food ingredients you should not feed to your dog.

There are all kinds of dog-food recipes you can download. Just choose the ones your dog is not allergic to.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,295,903 times
Another vote for carrots - my dogs really love them, and if you want an instant ready to go snack that doesn't go bad easily, you can just pick up the already peeled small ones to dole out on a walk or elsewhere.

Otherwise I make liver biscuits that I keep in small ziplocs in the freezer. Sometimes I cook some chicken or a sweet potato that I've diced up and keep it in the fridge for snacks while we are inside. There have been so many repeated recalls of commercial "treats" that I haven't used any for quite a few years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs