U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,754,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The OP will have to look deep and hard for a product that's either not made in China or has no ingredients that are made in China. While a dog treat may be made in the US, it does not mean that some of the ingredients for it don't come from China.
yep, a big part people seem to forget. They also forget that even if the "ingredients" are locally sourced with no foreigh content, who's to say what is introduce through packaging designe dto leech into the food. Lets not foregt the big "Natural - No Preservative" BS when they found the packaging contained the preservatives designed to leech into the product to extend the shelf life and cut back on the smell.

One other important item, just because its from China dies niot mean its bad. There are hindreds of critical and sensitive iyems produced in China that are used in the medical and scientific industries and they are every bit as good as one manufactured locally. The key is the contract calls for a very tight tolerance, very tight inspections and very tight controls. You can have them make dog food that cost $1 for 10lbs or $20 for 10 lbs. It all depends on the quality control you place on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 AM

16,557 posts, read 28,605,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
Another vote for carrots - my dogs really love them, and if you want an instant ready to go snack that doesn't go bad easily, you can just pick up the already peeled small ones to dole out on a walk or elsewhere.

Otherwise I make liver biscuits that I keep in small ziplocs in the freezer. Sometimes I cook some chicken or a sweet potato that I've diced up and keep it in the fridge for snacks while we are inside. There have been so many repeated recalls of commercial "treats" that I haven't used any for quite a few years now.
Mine loves carrots, too. The biscuit idea is a good one, since you can add chicken, beef, fish, and so forth to the ingredients used for biscuits. Our dog likes brown rice with a few small carrots mixed-in, although we use rice as a filler. For example, a piece of boiled chicken next to the rice mixture. You can also use cooked brown rice instead of flour. Just cook some chicken or beef until tender, throw it in a food processor along cooked rice, and turn it to a paste. Then spread the paste thin on a greased pan (I use olive oil for this, and for the flavor), and bake until it turns a little crunchy on the surface. Let it cool, and then use a pizza cutter to cut the crunchy paste into little squares. Keep it refrigerated, but it won't last very long because dogs love such things.

I do the same with rice and salmon, and sometimes even moose meat. Our dog drools all over the place when I cook moose for her. The way I see it, our dog has a relatively short life, so she eats some of the foods my wife and I eat. We give her very law salt albacore tuna, very low salt sardines (from Canada), and so on. Yes, she has her own food and vitamins, too.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM

4,035 posts, read 6,387,579 times
I make my own dog treats. My dog loves them, and so does other dogs, and know what's in them, chicken.

I buy chicken breasts on sale and in a large quantity to keep the price down. I cube the raw breasts and boil for ten minutes.
I then dehydrate them for several hours until rock hard. They keep at room temperature and I they are perfectly safe.
If you don't have a dehydrator you could do the same in your oven at the lowest possible temperature.

Considering I was spending $12 for and 8oz package of good quality treat these chicken treats are far cheaper.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,297 times
I have found a new bake-at-home treat mix that my chihuahua loves! It is a dry mix that you just add oil and water to and can flavor if you like. I have flavored them with peanut butter and pumpkin. I love knowing that I am in control of what I am feeding my dog. And my kids have a blast baking the treats and decorating them. Fun for the whole family. I encourage everyone to try this product. The website is Pup-O-Licious: The home-made dog treat and it is available on Amazon.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM

146 posts, read 304,944 times
Sounds like a plug. Neither Amazon nor their website list the ingredients...why??? Is it just expensive flour?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,099,817 times
Bully Stick.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM

36,470 posts, read 43,473,799 times
China stiff-arms FDA on jerky pet treat testing, reports show - Vitals

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 8,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My dogs love treats, but I have found that many of them are made in China. I started reading labels carefully, and stopped feeding any treats that are from China.

I used to feed rawhide that is made in America, but I had heard about several dogs who had severe health issues caused by undigested rawhide, and also a few that had choked on rawhide. So I switched from rawhide to Greenies.

I fed my dogs Greenies for a couple of years, but then saw documented cases of dogs who had died from undigested Greenies.

I then switched to another brand of treats that was packaged in the United States, sold at Costco, but then I saw some very fine print on the back that said they were made in China.

Then I started giving them Busy Bones, but just today I read that they contain various toxins.

Are there any dog treats that are safe??
Everyone wants to be sure that what they're feeding their family is safe. That's why the USDA has some of the strictest food quality regulations in the world. Our pets are an important part of our families, and they're no exception. However, the way that the regulatory oversight is designed in the US, food that is produced for pets falls under the authority of the FDA, not the USDA.

The FDA generally has a lot less strict regulations when it comes to how food is produced and what can be included as edible. For instance, there are many types of scrap meat or organ meats that can be used in pet food but which the USDA says are not fit for human consumption.

So if you're really concerned about safety I would recommend that you A) Buy food that is made in the US, and B) buy food from a company that voluntarily manufactures it's pet food under the USDA human-grade regulations. mod cut

Also, if anyone knows of any other companies who are making USDA quality pet food, I'd love to hear about them.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-16-2013 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: No advertising is allowed - user name violation

Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 AM

4,510 posts, read 4,389,552 times
I've recently started feeding our Maltese only "human food" for treats, and may switch for all feeding after I learn more about overall nutritional needs. I buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs, cube it, then store it in the freezer. I thaw one cube a day, and pull off tiny bits throughout the day as treats. I also use bits of cooked sweet potato for treats.

My dog loves chicken or sweet potato for treats far more than any commercial dog treat. And they are fraction of the cost!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,024,640 times
My dog goes kooky for carrot sticks and blueberries. She even likes lettuce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs