Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,086 times

Advertisements

I can't remember the last time I bought dog treats in a store. It really is more economical and healthier to make your own. We eat a lot of chicken breast in our house and I have found they are not as closely trimmed when they are on special. There is always a few sides pieces and sinew that is not appetizing so I save those pieces and poach them for treats. They would end up in the garbage so I consider them a sort of freebee that I can cook and freeze until I need them. Likewise with some leftovers like quinoa, brown rice, vegetables that are still edible but not so pretty - they end up as treats as is or part of a baked goodie for the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,979 times
>My dog loves chicken or sweet potato for treats far more than any commercial dog treat. And they are fraction of the cost!

Absolutely! Cooking at home is always going to be cheaper, and fun too if you're like me and the kitchen is your favorite room in the house. There are some safety advantages to commercial cooking though, namely that we have, in some ways, better equipment as well as standardized sanitation protocols.

One way industrial equipment can make a big safety difference is in controlling Listeria, a particularly nasty bacteria. Some bacteria will just die off if you get them under enough heat, but not this creep. If you just heat Listeria up without controlling the moisture levels of your food, the bacteria can dry out before it gets hot enough. When that happens it can go into a sort of hibernation state, and when it gets cool and wet again it will pop back up good-as-new.

The kind of equipment that we have allows us to keep precise check on moisture levels so that the bacteria doesn't realize it's being cooked out until its too late (dun dun dun).

For home cooking there's definitely some things you can do to minimize your risk without spending $50k on an industrial smoke house. The best thing is probably to consume the product quickly, or not make so much at a time that you're storing it for weeks. Bacteria takes time to grow to harmful levels, so the quicker it's eaten the less of a problem you're likely to have. Freezing helps also, but it might not eliminate the problem, and you also have to deal with things like freezer burn if you store meat for too long.

Also, personally, I recommend that you get meat that's steroid/hormone/antibiotic free, but that's pretty easy to come by these days. The jury is still out as far as organic produce goes for pet health, but it couldn't hurt if you're willing to pay the little extra for it.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM

74 posts, read 136,387 times
Bully Puffs

Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
I really can't understand why people feel the need to buy commercial dog treats.
My dogs love chewing on the uncooked stems of broccoli & cauliflower.
I don't eat the really woody, lower portion of these stems, but the dogs really love the taste, and it gives them something to chew on.

When I make a salad, I eat the green parts of the Romaine lettuce leaves, and my dogs get the white spines of the leaves. When I trim sweet bell peppers the dogs get the white portions inside, and when I cut up tomatoes, the dogs get the stem ends. The same goes with the ends of carrots.

With the exceptions of mushrooms & parsley, I have found that dogs love vegetables.
Instead of buying commercial treats that may contain dangerous ingredients, and that tend to be very fattening, if you give your dog the pieces of vegetables that you don't eat, your dog will be getting a lot more nutrients, will tend to stay far slimmer, and you will save a whole lot of money.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:41 AM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
My sweet girl would get small bites of whatever fruit/vegetable I had (that were dog safe) such as cantaloupe (she loved it!), apple slice, raw spinach, blueberries, fresh green beans, carrots or pieces of tomato. All were vet approved & endorsed. The key is variety, not to give too much of the same thing.
I knew a girl who would give her little Maltese baby carrots constantly...probably 10-20 a day. Moderation is important.

Love the dehydration idea but I never bought a dehydrator. Tried making sweet potato jerky in my toaster oven (very low setting) but it did not turn out.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Here's a treat that's safe and relatively easy.
Slice part of a chicken breast as thinly as you can, spread them on a microwave safe plate, cover with a sheet of paper towel and microwave them on high, 2 minutes at a time (checking that they don't burn) until they are dehydrated. Let cool and store in a ziplock bag in your fridge. Our dogs LOVE them. I wouldn't keep them any longer than 5 days to be safe, so just do a little at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs