U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,746,616 times
Default Are there any safe dog treats??

My dogs love treats, but I have found that many of them are made in China. I started reading labels carefully, and stopped feeding any treats that are from China.

I used to feed rawhide that is made in America, but I had heard about several dogs who had severe health issues caused by undigested rawhide, and also a few that had choked on rawhide. So I switched from rawhide to Greenies.

I fed my dogs Greenies for a couple of years, but then saw documented cases of dogs who had died from undigested Greenies.

I then switched to another brand of treats that was packaged in the United States, sold at Costco, but then I saw some very fine print on the back that said they were made in China.

Then I started giving them Busy Bones, but just today I read that they contain various toxins.

Are there any dog treats that are safe??
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM

5,798 posts, read 4,411,064 times
I give my dogs pro-treat freeze dried liver treats. They come in a white plastic bucket. Petco, Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus carry it. They seem expensive, but they last a long time, especially as I break them up for training. They have just one ingredient, liver. I know made in the USA doesn't necessarily mean ingredients are sourced from the US, but besides saying made in the USA, on another part of the container it says country of origin US. Nothing's 100% safe in this world, but I feel pretty good about these treats, and my dogs love them.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
There is no way to say any dog treats are safe. Sfe is a misused term and may mean manyt hings to many people and what a manufacture says is safe, may not be what some pet food blogger says is safe. Also its near impossible for governement to label something unsafe due to the current political climate that makes it an evil thing to say any private business is doing something wrong. My god calling for governement to warn people of dangers of pet treats is anti-american cause it takes away jobs and is governement regulatiosn run amoke.

The real issue is as you discovered is that pet food products are almost all processed and that means so many variables can have a impact on the safety to animals. Classic case is the chicken jerky where after years of testing, nobody can find anything that will cause the problems dogs have had. So they can''t order a recall cause they are safe to consume. But the inside, behind close doors, thinking is that something in the jerky is reacting with some other product the dog was given and thats causing the health issues. So is it the jerky or that other product that is the danger? What if that other product turns out to be a common heartworm medication or a specific shampoo, which gets banned?

You can go nuts truying to cover the bases and reality is you can;t. Even some heathy natural products have been found with health issues in some batches. You can use a certain treats foir 10 generations on your pets but all it takes is that one bad batch from a miscalibrated chemical injector or a machine part that didn't get the proper cleaning to kill or injure your pet.

All you can do is the best you can which is to avoid as you are doing, products that are known to have issues. Avoiding over processed items reduced the amount of additives that can be issues. products that physically raises questions, also could be avoided. Applying basic common sense is the only defense you have since we don;t have crystal balls. If yuo look at products that were recalled to to bacteria, chemical or viral issues, almost all have been superior in their handling of things since. My vet onced commented that the best food is the one that just finished a recall because everyone is watching, testing and examining it to the nano element.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM

1,134 posts, read 874,300 times
I have started baking my own treats instead of buying any kind of dog biscuits. They are surprisingly easy and economical. I used poached chicken or cooked chicken liver/ gizzards for training treats - that are often on sale here for $1.25/lb. I know what you mean about having difficulty finding things that last a bit longer. I do give my dog rawhides when she is supervised. I found some that are made in America from Target. Some people recommend antlers but warn of the smell. That may be something I try as an outside treat in the summer.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,603,664 times
I use to buy them Buddy Biscuits, but just adapted their recipe so I didn't spend so much money on treats. So now I make my own treats, oats, molasses, honey, bananas.... Mine also get antlers, I haven't noticed a smell and we've had them inside for about 6 months.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,621,231 times
How about mini carrots? My dog (RIP) loved them and the vet said it was a great treat and good for her teeth.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,046,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
How about mini carrots? My dog (RIP) loved them and the vet said it was a great treat and good for her teeth.
Mine like the little carrots and they love cauliflower, broccoli and frozen peas and green beans. The peas and beans have to be frozen or they're not interested.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM

28 posts, read 34,451 times
My parents gave us a food dehydrator for xmas last year. I have now successfully made beef jerky and chicken jerky. To me it is cheaper to buy chicken on sale, slice it, season it, and make it into jerky. All my dog's love it. I know it is better for them, then buying the stuff at the store, and I know exactly what is in it, and if I liked jerky, I could eat it as well.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:06 PM

19,122 posts, read 11,157,692 times
Dehydrate your own treats. Cheaper and safer.

Its not just a China issue. From time to time pet food companies here in the USA screw up and allow contaminates into their pet food which sickens and kills pets.

Only way to be 100 percent sure is to make your own pet food.

I don't, but just saying.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Dehydrate your own treats. Cheaper and safer.

Its not just a China issue. From time to time pet food companies here in the USA screw up and allow contaminates into their pet food which sickens and kills pets.

Only way to be 100 percent sure is to make your own pet food.

I don't, but just saying.
Thanks for mentiong the US connection. It is true that any pet food or treats can be the source of problems due to the mass prodction involved and the all too often use of multiple processed ingredients.

Because pet food (as in everyday meals) are the bulk of the products consume, issues with them have a greater and more immediate impact. Most pet treats and snacks can take weks, motnhs or years before enough evidence comes forward to just trigger someone saying "what's going on". This si why many pet treats and snacks are not recalled but may be part of a manufactures pull back.

Making common pet snacks and treats for dogs is actaully easy and there are hundreds of receipes from moist to dry, chewey to rawhidish. Anothehr bit is there are often human snacks that can be safely used with pets. They may cost a slight bit more because they must use approved huiman grade ingredients, but label for label, they are almost identical. I remeber awhile back, someone even had a website posted that listed the pet safe human snacks. (maybe that person can repost it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs