U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 02:36 PM

1,576 posts, read 806,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlePoodle View Post
Apologies for unearthing a 5-year-old thread. Did the OP follow through with their plan?
I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a puppy from Russia, Latvia, or Ukraine and would appreciate any insight.
Thanks!
Having traveled overseas a fair bit, I would repeat the advice several offered in the original thread: plan on flying over to meet the breeder and dog, and fly back with it. I would only change this advice if the dog was too large for carryon. Although I have flown dogs in cargo plenty of times, I have grown more reluctant to do so over time. A lot has to do with the dog's personality - if the dog is a cool cucumber, no sweat. But for dogs who have very strong people bonds, I am not keen on the stress at all. If I had any doubts, I would certainly look into the freight options linked previously. A cargo pit is a dark and lonely place. A cargo aircraft, otoh, should have a purser or someone in charge of the freight on board who could visit the dog. Maybe - I really don't know, but I would be looking into it if I were thinking about moving a dog halfway around the world.

BTW, the OP, lora01oh, is still active. Maybe you could PM them, and get your answer. I would also be interested in finding out how things turned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 12:47 PM

54 posts, read 16,120 times
Thank you, hiero!
Unfortunately, I got no response from lora01oh.

I contacted several pet relocation services and the quotes I got from them generally fall somewhere between ridiculous ($2,700) and delusional ($4,500) - and that is, as far as I understand, transportation alone.

Having contacted several breeders, I also got recommendations for their preferred carriers (i.e. someone with experience, but no legal entity to seek compensation from if something goes wrong). Here, the price tag is much more reasonable (about a 1,000 to 1,500, depending on whether it's door-to-door or "pick up from airport" service). Still, it's about double the cost of a low-season economy ticket to and from Moscow.

Having considered these options, we decided to go to Russia to pick the dog up ourselves.

I'll make sure to come back with updates.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:53 PM

194 posts, read 319,948 times
Seriously??????? When there are so many dogs right here that need homes? Nice, loving dogs too. Sad.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM

Yes, seriously.
I understand where you stand, of course, and I do agree there are very many great dogs here in need of homes. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, we couldn't go the adoption/"reputable breeder" route here. We did try. Sad :-(

Moral issues aside, I'm interested in the technicalities of importing a pet into the country. Through talking to different breeders and transportation people I *think* I have it sorted, but there might still be surprises out there. I hope my experience will prove useful for others (even if it doesn't work out as planned).

Last edited by NoodlePoodle; 01-20-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 07:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 806,880 times
Quote:
Yes, seriously.
I understand where you stand, of course, and I do agree there are very many great dogs here in need of homes. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, we couldn't go the adoption/"reputable breeder" route here. We did try. Sad :-(

Moral issues aside, I'm interested in the technicalities of importing a pet into the country. Through talking to different breeders and transportation people I *think* I have it sorted, but there might still be surprises out there. I hope my experience will prove useful for others (even if it doesn't work out as planned).
Well said, Noodle! I sent a PM to lora01oh myself. No response on it. Oh well, it is what it is.

I will be very interested in how your adventure turns out.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 AM

22,559 posts, read 28,516,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
Seriously??????? When there are so many dogs right here that need homes? Nice, loving dogs too. Sad.
Oh excellent. Please tell us where there are all of these nice loving Bolinas and Moyens are located right here that need homes. I brought a Bracco Italiano from Denmark and I'd love to have another one. Please tell me where they all are, right here, needing homes.

Sorry, but I will have a dog as a loving family member for close to 16 years. I don't want you to be able to pick which dog I get to live with. I am capable of picking my own companion and I know exactly what I want a dog to do for me.

My son has imported gundogs because the spaniels from Britain work the way he wants to hunt without excessive training. You won't convince me that a 5 year old pitbull cross from the pound can do the job just as well.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:50 PM

1,177 posts, read 8,073,863 times
Quote:
Thank you, hiero!
Unfortunately, I got no response from lora01oh.

I contacted several pet relocation services and the quotes I got from them generally fall somewhere between ridiculous ($2,700) and delusional ($4,500) - and that is, as far as I understand, transportation alone.

Having contacted several breeders, I also got recommendations for their preferred carriers (i.e. someone with experience, but no legal entity to seek compensation from if something goes wrong). Here, the price tag is much more reasonable (about a 1,000 to 1,500, depending on whether it's door-to-door or "pick up from airport" service). Still, it's about double the cost of a low-season economy ticket to and from Moscow.

Having considered these options, we decided to go to Russia to pick the dog up ourselves.

I'll make sure to come back with updates.
$2700-4500 YIKES! I haven't done it, but know people who have paid $700-1,000 for overseas flight nanny. I can understand the concern if something goes wrong, but can't imagine would be thr issue flying in cabin?

Old 01-22-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
YIKES!
Yes, I was a little taken aback too - and then I realized these companies must be catering to a very specific crowd of expats (diplomats, business execs, international school teachers, and the like), where pet relocation is just a part of larger relocation package, so costs are probably less of a concern. Plus, if you relocate a pet (a companion that has lived with you for a few years), you'd probably be more willing to absorb higher costs vs. considering it a part of the price for a new puppy.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM

Default B-Y-O pup from Russia: costs involved

A quick update: we're back with the puppy, so I thought I'd just throw together an indicative cost breakdown before I forget the details.

Travel and transport:
Tickets: $500 pp;
Train/car arrangement to get the dog from breeder (if not in Moscow) - varies, in our case it was 2,000 rubles ($40) for an 800-mile train ride;
Dog's air fare - 75 euro ($100) flat on Aeroflot, regardless if it goes as cabin carry-on (under 8 kilos) or checked baggage (under 50 kilos). Must be confirmed at the time of booking and paid at the airport.

Doc-related:
"Forma 1" vet certificate (must be issued not earlier than 5 days before flight) - free or negligible;
Export vet certificate (issued based on F-1 at the airport) - free but a major PITA;
Pet "passport" with vaccinations - came with the dog at no extra cost.
RKF pedigree (recognized by AKC for an extra "foreign registration" fee), expedited processing, handled by the breeder's club (can't do it individually) and delivered with the puppy- 5,500 rubles ($100), payable separately to the club.

The dog must be at least 4 months old to be allowed into the States, so it comes with "age-appropriate" vaccinations (HDPPi at 8 wks and HDPPi+rabies at 12 wks). Ours didn't get a lepto shot, but you can get one at a local vet pharmacy for $1.50 and administer it yourself or go to a local vet (total fee - $12).
Microchip (ISO) - about 10 to 20 dollars.

So, the total for verifiably dog-related expenses runs at roughly $750, plus another $150 for the visa (I already had one). Any lodging/food/sightseeing costs are extra, of course. The best offer I got from breeder-recommended "overseas flight nannies" (I love the term, btw) was $1,000 (delivered to the airport), plus $100 for the pedigree.

Are the savings worth the hassle? I'm not sure, especially considering the 4-mos age restriction, which means that you are not likely to hand-pick your pup AND, unless we're talking toy breeds, you'd be pushing the 8-kilo in-cabin luggage weight limit.

That said, it certainly was an adventure :-)

If anyone's interested in a more detailed walk-through covering individual steps, paperwork details, and things to consider - please let me know.

Last edited by NoodlePoodle; 02-20-2018 at 11:39 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 PM

1,465 posts, read 889,943 times
How old is the puppy?

Many breeders will pick the puppy for the buyer rather than having the buyer choose, unless it is a choice of gender. Sounds like an exhausting trip; hope that you and the puppy have rested up. Do tell us more about the puppy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or