U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM

144 posts, read 263,675 times

Advertisements

she kind of does this pounce thing with my other dogs where she will lean on to her back legs and lift her front paws up and pounce down on the other dogs. Also, when she's on the couch, she doesn't jump down off of it. She will put her front paws on the floor and slide her back legs off the couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
She's gorgeous and I'm still seeing lots of Malinois. If I'm right you've lucked into an awesome dog. Their capacity to learn and desire to please is exceeded by very few other breeds.

I've been working with this breed for quite some time and they rarely fail to convince me I've underestimated their abilities and potential.

There's a lot of good Malinois information available here; MalForum -- The Belgian Malinois Discussion Forum - Index
Thank you so much. I appreciate the information. I have no idea what I'm doing with this dog and she's torn up all my blinds in the few days I've had her. I can't wait to start the class next week and learn how to communicate better with her.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM

31,755 posts, read 36,423,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandavision View Post
she kind of does this pounce thing with my other dogs where she will lean on to her back legs and lift her front paws up and pounce down on the other dogs.
I knew those ears looked like kangaroo ears. When she has pups, see if she has a tummy pouch. You have pretty rare dog there.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,119,644 times
Coconut retriever.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:05 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,417,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandavision View Post
Thank you so much. I appreciate the information. I have no idea what I'm doing with this dog and she's torn up all my blinds in the few days I've had her. I can't wait to start the class next week and learn how to communicate better with her.
Keep her worn out. She'll be happier and a lot more of your stuff will survive her youth. Mals are doing a great job of breaking from tradition and establishing themselves as solid contenders in pursuits such as dock diving;

Record Breaking Jump, Malinois, Dock Diving!! - YouTube

Agility (this is a Dutch Shepherd but as far as temperament and abilities go it's essentially a Malinois with a brindle coat...they're so closely related as to be indistinguishable from one another)

Zippo Dutch Shepherd Agility - YouTube

Mals can do everything from defense to circus tricks;

Balzacs Training Journal: first Stopped Attack, plus 3 leg walking - YouTube

Mals live to make their humans happy. We're tasked with keeping them interested and tired enough to not eat all our stuff. They don't really care if they're biting or performing circus tricks. They just want a job they can focus on.

Last edited by outbacknv; 03-18-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
at 1 yr and about 30lbs and knee high shes NOT a mal...a small female mal is around 60lbs...

that being said she does have that mal look absolutly theres definatly shep of SOME kind in there, i just think given that the mal is inredibly rare the likleyhood of it being mal is low...and the likelyhood of it bing a mal mix...lower...so id definatly say GSD
given her small size id say "generic farm dog" probably GSD and some kind of terrier...but yeah im definatly seeing some bullterrier or something similarly blocky headed in that skull!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,947,409 times
Well, I think the dog is definitely more than two breeds. I wondered about the possibility of Basenji. What is the tail like? Curled at all? Longer or shorter? I highly advise you to consider crate training the dog since it is in the destructive phase. We have always used crates and our dog uses that as her bed (cave) with the door open. Dogs normally slow down some around 18 months but until then, they can run circles around even the most energetic. Crate training can help save the relationship during the growing phase as this is the time when so many owners give up their dogs to the shelters.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I knew those ears looked like kangaroo ears. When she has pups, see if she has a tummy pouch. You have pretty rare dog there.
She was already fixed when I got her so she won't be having puppies.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, I think the dog is definitely more than two breeds. I wondered about the possibility of Basenji. What is the tail like? Curled at all? Longer or shorter? I highly advise you to consider crate training the dog since it is in the destructive phase. We have always used crates and our dog uses that as her bed (cave) with the door open. Dogs normally slow down some around 18 months but until then, they can run circles around even the most energetic. Crate training can help save the relationship during the growing phase as this is the time when so many owners give up their dogs to the shelters.
Her tail is straight and has just the slightest curve to it but it's barely noticeable and is about 8in long. I am trying the crate but she just barks a lot when she is in it. Sometimes when I'm only going to be out of the house for less than an hour to go to the store I leave her in the garage and she seems to do just fine. She has a lot of chew toys, water and a bed out there and she doesn't bark when she's out there. I bought a crate but I'm not sure how to go about getting her used to it. I am hoping to learn more about how to work better with her at this training class I'll be taking her to next week.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Here is a picture of her tail. You can see a slight curve but it's pretty straight for the most part.
Attached Thumbnails
What type of dog is this?-rsz_img_1057.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs