U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 237 times

Advertisements

Exact answer spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 09:39 AM

22,482 posts, read 28,367,787 times
I'm a landlord. I decide what the breed is by what the dog is going to look like to my insurance agent.

I know what a pitbull looks like. I can tell with most mixed pitbulls that they have pitbull in them. But I lose my insurance if my agent drives by and sees a pitbull in the yard. So, I will reject any dog that a total amateur will look at and think it is a pitbull, or any other the other breeds that my insurance doesn't allow.

You, yourself, think your dog contains pitbull, OP. That means that other people are going to look at the dog and think it contains pitbull.

Your best option is to take the dog with you and get it approved. Second best option is to have a contract that says that your dog, with his name, weight, and good thorough description, is to be allowed to live with you in your new apartment.

If the manager got talked into believing the dog isn't pitbull and sees that the dog is a pitbull after you move in, your dog is safe for the first year and after that you will have to arrange other housing. Unless, of course, the dog shows any sort of aggression and then he will have to leave, contract or no.

A landlord would have to be a total idiot to accept the breed written on the vet records or one of those DNA identifications, which are pure hooey.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:15 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,230,647 times
DNA tests are much more accurate than visual identification. Visual identification, even by those who work with animals, is the least reliable way of identifying a dog breed, especially mix of breeds. There are studies proving this. But, if someone had to rely on visual identification, then the guess of someone who works with dogs would be better than the guess of a layperson. There are many stories of news organizations labeling dogs as pit bulls when they were clearly a different breed.

Some people don't know how dog DNA tests work and refuse to accept facts. DNA tests don't test for visible traits and try to match them with a breed. They search for DNA markers that are particular to a breed. It's similar to DNA tests for humans that identify racial/ethnic origins. There are mutations that are unique to certain populations because the mutation originated from a single ancestor for those populations.

By the way, this thread is five years old. But, I will add something important. It is terrible advice to say that your dog will be okay for the length of the lease. Many leases state that a dog of an unauthorized breed will have to be removed from the property immediately or the renter will pay a fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or