U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 AM

36,478 posts, read 43,582,608 times

Advertisements

Never thought of dachshunds as swimmers but obviously they love it. Used to have a bichon who was deathly afraid of the water. We would try to get him in the pool but he barely tolerated being on a raft for a few minutes. Does your dog like to swim?

Underwater weiner dogs. [VIDEO]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times
Yes, all of my dogs swim.

The labs were easy to teach.

Rip (hound) was really afraid but, once he saw what to do he was fine.

Rip was on a hunt about two weeks ago and gained about 1/2 a mile on the pack by swimming a creek.

He had to break ice all the way.

I guess it was amazing to see.

BTW, none of my dogs put their heads under water as much as the dogs in the video.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,087,533 times
Whizz to the rescue!
Whizz to the rescue... the dog with webbed feet who's a living lifebelt | Mail Online

Old 03-18-2012, 02:36 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,647,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Oh I love newfs! Its just too hot in Texas to even consider a long haired breed. Interesting fact.....They are also foundation stock for Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...my favorite swimmers!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,815,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Never thought of dachshunds as swimmers but obviously they love it. Used to have a bichon who was deathly afraid of the water. We would try to get him in the pool but he barely tolerated being on a raft for a few minutes. Does your dog like to swim?

Underwater weiner dogs. [VIDEO]
LOL Love it, I just wish I could post a link to a friend who breeds Longhair Dachshunds (against TOS rules sadly), her's hunt, do obedience, rally, tracking, agility and one even dock dives. She's got tons of photos of her dogs leaping into the water and retrieving and she's got a great photo of the one who dock dives.

The hunt tests they have require a water retrieve and ALL of her dogs and those who she's bred all love the water and fearlessly leap in.

In most of Europe they are still very much used as working dogs and the trend is growing here, this group is now following the German breeding certification system.

North American Teckel Club

Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
My original puppies were brothers from the same litter, border collie/corgi. Both had short thick legs, one's body was more of a stout build than the other. They absolutely refused to swim. I would throw toys or sticks in the local lake, and they'd go as far as they could without having to take a stroke, and I do think they were well built for swimming.
One summer I took them to Camp Gone to the Dogs in Vermont ("Summer Camp for Dogs and Their People") and I enrolled them in a swimming class. A dog trainer in a wet suit went into the middle of a pond, towing the dogs with him, and then pushed them in the direction of the shore (it wasn't real far). They swam very well, and got a little "success ornament" for their accomplishment in class.
They still would never swim in the lake or anywhere else. RIP, K&K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or