U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM

5,368 posts, read 9,833,182 times

Advertisements

Regal's home! And boy, is he zonked out...he's snoozing, with his head on his pillow, covered with his blankie, and emitting little yelps and moans in his sleep. We had to carry him to and from the car--his legs are complete rubber.

The Vet said no food tonight...give him a little water if he wants it and help him outside to potty supported with a towel around his middle. She said 24-48 hours before all anesthesia effects wear off.

I was prepared for his missing eye to look awful, but the Vet did a great job of suturing and it just looks like he's winking...so glad that nasty, infected eye won't be troubling him anymore.

Wow, maybe I can sleep tonight...sure couldn't last night, worrying about whether he'd make it through all right.

Thanks, everyone, for your understanding and support. It's good to be among the land of the pet-lovers at these times. Well, back to keeping an eye on the sleeping dog. Got to turn him every hour or so so no fluids build up in his lungs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM

3,592 posts, read 10,653,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Regal's home! And boy, is he zonked out...he's snoozing, with his head on his pillow, covered with his blankie, and emitting little yelps and moans in his sleep. We had to carry him to and from the car--his legs are complete rubber.

The Vet said no food tonight...give him a little water if he wants it and help him outside to potty supported with a towel around his middle. She said 24-48 hours before all anesthesia effects wear off.

I was prepared for his missing eye to look awful, but the Vet did a great job of suturing and it just looks like he's winking...so glad that nasty, infected eye won't be troubling him anymore.

Wow, maybe I can sleep tonight...sure couldn't last night, worrying about whether he'd make it through all right.

Thanks, everyone, for your understanding and support. It's good to be among the land of the pet-lovers at these times. Well, back to keeping an eye on the sleeping dog. Got to turn him every hour or so so no fluids build up in his lungs.
SO glad he is home! Watch him as he may be a bit confused and disoriented. If you have any stairs, make sure he can't get near them! So glad that all seems to be well. Check in and let us know how he is tomorow...and give him a snuggle from me

Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,787,412 times
Quote:
You folks are the best! I so appreciate your good wishes for our dog's speedy recovery...the vet's office called and he did well in the surgery and we'll be picking him up in 1.5 hours...I made him chicken, brown rice and sweet potato surprise for his first meal--figure he'll not want to chew much after his dental and tooth extraction...the eye surgery likely won't interfere with his eating as he's such a chow hound.

Should you like to make Mr. Regal's acquaintance, here's a story I wrote about him during his younger days:

Pets: What Kind of Dog Is That? | Vibrant Village

so very glad he is home where he belongs and will be better quickly......

and what a great story you wrote about him.... thank you for sharing that!

he is one handsome little fella.....

Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM

4,129 posts, read 13,275,552 times
Glad he's home and doing so well, FWIW, I think you did the right thing. Great photos too, btw.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,932,286 times
My soon to be 18 year old Shih Tzu is also blind and deaf, has been for 3 years, he also has an ulcer on his eye. He navigates well, eats well and does his biz ouside. Yes, I carry him in and out as he has to go down 4 stairs to go off the porch and into the fenced yard.

Two weeks ago my vet came to my house to give him his wellness exam so we could refill his eye drops and meds for a back problem. She said, he does not appear to be in any pain and is not senile, just let him live his life out.

Last edited by Dollydo; 03-22-2012 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Surgery done, had to catch up!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,993,132 times
Quote:
We have a much-loved dog who's 15. Last year he got a corneal ulcer and the flap procedure surgery to fix it was unsuccessful. We've been putting in eye drops and pain meds since then that have seemed to eliminate the pain. Now, eye is worse, the meds aren't working and he's experiencing discomfort--rubbing, pawing at eye.

Tomorrow he's having his eye removed--and a much needed dental while under.

Given that he's 15, deaf, and is blind, are we putting him through this for ourselves or for him? Are we nuts?

He's still mobile, eats well and mostly sleeps, but he's a good guy. We're questioning whether we're doing a merciful thing with the surgery to stop his pain--or a foolish thing. Is it time to help him exit?

What would you do?

Well I don't know much but what I do know is what is from experience with a 15 year old dog. NO, you are not doing this for yourselves, you're doing it to relieve pain for a dog who otherwise is still in good health. He's a good guy like you said and he deserves to live and be pain-free. Don't put him down until he can't get up. Please.

Guess I should have read the whole thread, huh? Absolutely wonderful, good news.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,932,286 times
I, too, am glad that everything turned out A-ojk!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM

298 posts, read 601,449 times
Yea!! for Regal. May he heal quickly and well

Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM

5,852 posts, read 8,806,316 times
Woo hoo, so glad he's ok! :-D

Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM

377 posts, read 595,611 times
Yay! You know, for my first dog's latter years he stayed with my grandmother. He had one eye snatched out by an errant dog, and had glaucoma in the other eye so he was blind. Yet once he learned how to walk around the house unassisted he was still a very active 8 year old. My grandfather even made up series of different types of claps so that him and my dog could go on walks, and my dog, though blind, would know when to stop, turn right or turn left.

Losing an eye didn't stop him at all. He lived for 5 more years until a tumor was found in his stomach. Here's to a speedy recovery for Mr. Regal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or