U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,447,611 times

Advertisements

Personally I think it's good that you're interacting with the pup. This could be preventing him from a future bite because he has no socialization skills. I'd agree with foxywench, if he gets loose again, take him to the shelter as a stray. If they really want the dog they will pay the fees, but most people won't if they don't care.
Sounds like the little girl is turning into her parents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,027,247 times
Had not considered offering money for him. It's a thought...

First a confession, the day I "found" him in my backyard...

Okay, as hubby and I drove up to our house, I noticed he (the puppy) was in the front yard. That just meant he got loose. He would not come to me. We got in and got settled and I took the boys out back (the enticement) the pup comes running into his backyard and up to the fence.

I take my boys back in and come back out calling him to the fence. He's excited...and I um, encourage him to do what he's already doing...climbing the fence.

...And lookie here, he's in my backyard, oh my, how did that happen??? *sheepish grin*

***This morning's update***

I took the boys and he was out, shocker (NOT!) so they did their business and I took them back in. (One of mine is loud and I need it quiet to get away with this, BAHAHAHA)

As soon as the pup sees me with the food and water he runs to our secret tree and waits for me. Dang smart pup. This is day two. It's not like we've been doing this for months now...he gobbles down the food and drinks a lot more water. It was good to see him drink...

I will take him more water, today. It's suppose to be nice out. Since he's not chained, I don't know where they keep his water bowl.

A little kibble, a little water and some loving first thing in 'da morning for 'da pup.

((I know it's confusing him...but I'm getting him ready for when they don't want him anymore...and he get's a loving forever home!))

I am hopeful!

Anyway, that's the latest.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
Do try offering them money, especially if you think money's tight for them. I should have thought of that myself. Our shelter got a neglected dog in not long ago that a man bought from its owner just so he could bring the dog to us to find a good home.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 AM

I'm not sure they are "hurting" for money. They guy is a plumber by trade. I don't know what the wife does? They drive nice cars (not old, not beaters) the child is clean and well dressed.

The money would strickly be for greed...and the pup is strickly a status symbol. Except now he's lost his cute appeal and been banished to the backyard.

Of course, looks are deceiving and I could be all wrong about this...

"For the LOVE of money is the root of most evil."

If the pup got picked up as a stray, I don't know if they would bail him out? It's expensive in county lock-up...(lol)

I know this for sure, their 4' chain-link will not contain this pup much longer. He's seven months old (that's a teenager, to you and I) and his hormones are about to kick in, he's about ready to find a girlfriend...after all, he is left to his own devises.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,597,245 times
Sometimes, appearances can be deceiving. Although they have "nice cars", that doesn't mean they HAVE money, could just mean they HAD money. When I got sick last year, our business went under and my grandmother and stepmom died, we were worried about how we would feed our then new puppy (6 months old at that point). At the same time, I managed to keep my kids clean and they wear nice clothes (mostly hand me downs from church members)

They may have been having trouble housebreaking the dog for all you know, and their vet may have given them a strict schedule to keep him on. The extra food and water you give him may be hampering their efforts. Dogs rarely refuse food - eating fast can be a sign that he doesn't eat properly and his eating needs to be controlled as well.

My point is, you do not know what is going on in their lives. They may welcome an offer from you to keep the puppy. Knock on the door, try not to be self-righteous and sanctimonious, and tell them that you are looking for a dog just like theirs... ask them if they would consider giving him up. If this is truly not just a way to feel superior to your neighbors, and you're just looking to help, you wouldn't be/won't be concerned with WHY they don't treat him as you feel they should.

Now, maybe you do know everything about their lives and know that your judgements are correct. In that case, you may not only be in the right about taking their dog, but you are also a very nosy person with not much going on in your own life. I know MUCH less about my neighbors... even though I 'suspect' somethings... I certainly have enough going on in my life and don't have the time to devote to theirs.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,284,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
If this is truly not just a way to feel superior to your neighbors, and you're just looking to help, you wouldn't be/won't be concerned with WHY they don't treat him as you feel they should.

Now, maybe you do know everything about their lives and know that your judgements are correct. In that case, you may not only be in the right about taking their dog, but you are also a very nosy person with not much going on in your own life. I know MUCH less about my neighbors... even though I 'suspect' somethings... I certainly have enough going on in my life and don't have the time to devote to theirs.
Wow - so glad not everyone is of this school of thought. I don't consider looking out for the welfare of an animal "nosy" by any means, and surely not a dog without any water. And being in tune to when your neighbors come and go isn't any more than that. Thank goodness I have "nosiness" all around me, it helps keep me AND my dogs safe.

I think it is presumptuous of YOU to assume the OP has no life. I say thank goodness for people who get involved, whether it be trying to do a good turn by an animal or donating hand me downs to a family in need. There's all kinds of doing good in the world - some people are called to help people, some to help animals in need. If we were all alike the world would surely be a dull place.

You're right - we surely don't know the circumstances behind this family forgetting about their pet...nonetheless, that's a responsibility they took on and they may just need a gentle reminder or they may need to be alleviated of this problem. Either way, the dog isn't going to re-home itself. It will most likely take someone upright, on two legs, and human intervening and advocating for a creature that cannot speak for itself.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times
"My point is, you do not know what is going on in their lives. They may welcome an offer from you to keep the puppy. Knock on the door, try not to be self-righteous and sanctimonious, and tell them that you are looking for a dog just like theirs... ask them if they would consider giving him up. If this is truly not just a way to feel superior to your neighbors, and you're just looking to help, you wouldn't be/won't be concerned with WHY they don't treat him as you feel they should.

Now, maybe you do know everything about their lives and know that your judgements are correct. In that case, you may not only be in the right about taking their dog, but you are also a very nosy person with not much going on in your own life. I know MUCH less about my neighbors... even though I 'suspect' somethings... I certainly have enough going on in my life and don't have the time to devote to theirs."[/quote]

Self-righteous and sanctimonious seems a little self descriptive. I hope the things you may "suspect" of your neighbors isn't abuse of a human or animal and you simply have too much going on in your life to care about it.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM

377 posts, read 595,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Personally I think it's good that you're interacting with the pup. This could be preventing him from a future bite because he has no socialization skills. I'd agree with foxywench, if he gets loose again, take him to the shelter as a stray. If they really want the dog they will pay the fees, but most people won't if they don't care.
Sounds like the little girl is turning into her parents
Oh wow, this was my first thought while reading through the thread. You are at the very least giving him socialization skills. I've seen dogs chained up in the back 24/7 who are unsocialized and let's say that I won't walk my dogs down that part of the street on the chance that dog breaks his chain because I can guarantee me and my dog won't survive.

You are doing a great thing. He's not afraid of you which is good, and you're providing him with food, water and for a bit happiness. Do you have any idea if the girl did tell her parents what you said?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Sometimes, appearances can be deceiving. Although they have "nice cars", that doesn't mean they HAVE money, could just mean they HAD money. When I got sick last year, our business went under and my grandmother and stepmom died, we were worried about how we would feed our then new puppy (6 months old at that point). At the same time, I managed to keep my kids clean and they wear nice clothes (mostly hand me downs from church members)

They may have been having trouble housebreaking the dog for all you know, and their vet may have given them a strict schedule to keep him on. The extra food and water you give him may be hampering their efforts. Dogs rarely refuse food - eating fast can be a sign that he doesn't eat properly and his eating needs to be controlled as well.

My point is, you do not know what is going on in their lives. They may welcome an offer from you to keep the puppy. Knock on the door, try not to be self-righteous and sanctimonious, and tell them that you are looking for a dog just like theirs... ask them if they would consider giving him up. If this is truly not just a way to feel superior to your neighbors, and you're just looking to help, you wouldn't be/won't be concerned with WHY they don't treat him as you feel they should.

First, I am sorry about the loss of your grandmother and stepmom.

Okay, I can see your point on the food, IF they had a vet. There is more background with this family that I did not go into because it was not important. The little girl and I chat. She loves to talk, I have never asked her why she chose me to talk too. However, strangers have approached me out of nowhere and decided they could talk to me, perhaps I wear a sign? I am not being a brat, it is the truth. I use to see it as a curse, now I understand it for what it is, a gift. A blessing...so, as I said, I have not asked her why she will talk to me, I just try not to get her into trouble with her parents. She can be a little chatty Cathy.

I am confused how water could be a problem when every vet and dog health care provider will tell you to make sure your animals have access to clean fresh water.

I am also confused how giving this animal some companionship could be a bad thing. Dogs are pack animals. Just was we (people) were made for relationship, so were dogs. They do not do well as loners.

I don't want to one up my neighbors. My other next door neighbor takes care of her children and dog. I want neither. My across the street neighbors are concerned and have voiced their concern, I just happen to have access. BTW, I don't want their dogs, either because they too are well taken care of and my neighbor down the street, he's got three dogs. Again, well taken care of. Don't want them.

Side note: We were having a lovely snow storm and I couldn't sleep, so I decided to go shovel snow. (If you keep up with it, it's not so bad in the morning before work...) Anyway, I am working in the driveway and had just been thinking about a dog I had lost last summer, she loved the snow and was a wonderful companion during snow shoveling. Lost in thought and work, I was jolted back to reality by a dog running up to me, a shepherd...from up the street, two in the morning? I told him, go home! He starts to trot home...

It starts to weigh heavy on me. He's not suppose to be out, something's wrong...but it's 2 am, do I wake up my neighbor? I decide too...

I walk up the street and knock on his door, snow shovel in hand. He answers the door. I am apologizing for waking him, and ask where are your dogs, cause I think they got out, I see one at the corner (a busy Avenue during the day) and point, he whistles and here comes, one...two...three of his dogs.

He was grateful. His daughter went into work at midnight and she let the dogs out into the backyard...oops, and forgot them. They got out of the backyard...and who knows what would have happened if I had not been shoveling snow at 2 am...he was thankful.

If this makes me a nosy neighbor, I can live in that world. (Knowing the dogs in my neighborhood and my neighbors. I guess that makes me "old school.") I would appreciate someone letting me know my dogs were out, especially in a snow storm.

Back to the pup. If and when he gets out, he still has no collar and no tags. Collars are not expensive (fact) and both parents work (statement).

I don't want their puppy. I really want them to step up and take care of the puppy they decided to get (for whatever reason.)

Buying it from them I don't think would help, they got it from the little girls aunt. She (the aunt) has the breeding female. There is always another pup from the next litter...

It's a tough place for this little guy.

So if I came off judgmental, I did not mean too, it is about helping the pup.

My mom taught me to fight for the underdog and do the right thing. It may not be popular but it is still right.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
Oh wow, this was my first thought while reading through the thread. You are at the very least giving him socialization skills. I've seen dogs chained up in the back 24/7 who are unsocialized and let's say that I won't walk my dogs down that part of the street on the chance that dog breaks his chain because I can guarantee me and my dog won't survive.

You are doing a great thing. He's not afraid of you which is good, and you're providing him with food, water and for a bit happiness. Do you have any idea if the girl did tell her parents what you said?

Well, I only told her yesterday and as of this morning, he still had drainage. I am waiting to see improvement. It might take a couple of days. I am hoping she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or