U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,694,915 times

Advertisements

no such thing as a "teacup" poodle
theres standard mini and toy (teacup in ANY breed is a fad term used by unscrupulous breders and pet stoes to sell their puppies for more money. most are runts, others grow to "normal" sized...)
Sorry the term teacup is a HUGE pet peve of mine as i was involved in the chihuahua breed for so long i was asked alot if my dogs were teacups....i cant remember how many times i told people "no i leave my teacups at home...in the cabinate...where they belong!"

again we have no idea if the op wants inteligent or trainable...the 2 are often complelty opposite LOL!
it also depends on how much work youll put in...
a jrt is a great smart little breed, but there terriers, you have to work through the terrier to get to the trainable part...same with borders, aussies ect...they LOVE to learn , but they can also be so high drive that youve gotta fgure out how to focus them, not something id suggest for a first timer lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,828,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
I agree, you should decide if you're looking for "smart" or "trainable". My GSD was very smart...she would jump fences after everyone left the house and jump back in right before we got home. She found all kinds of ways to escape the various methods we used to keep her corralled....super smart girl, but not very cooperative.
My current dog is the most trainable, eager to please little guy I've ever had. I got him out of a shelter so I can't be sure of his ancestory, but he looks like a giant rat terrier (they're called "feist terriers" around here). He learns commands and tricks very quickly and has a nice repetoire to show off Only weights 25 lbs but is not yappy like some small dogs and is happy to lounge around with me or go for 10 mile runs. He's really easy to deal with. Highly recommended!

I have a feist mix as well and I agree with the above post. I have had many dogs in my lifetime, but there is something different about her. She is energetic but not frantic, content to run as she is to keep you company, smart but not devilish, affectionate to but not clingy, well mannered but with the right amount of spunk! I have to say she is the easiest dog I have known! We got her through a rescue group out of Alabama and I strongly advocate rescuing a dog rather then buying through a puppy mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or