U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 AM

9,535 posts, read 10,841,704 times

Advertisements

I had a 9# female who did this. She was probably between five and ten when I got her. I had three neutered male cats at the time. When I brought her home two of the three cats ran and hid. The third trotted up to her to say hello. She immediately mounted him in a vigorous fashion. He pulled away and jumped up on something. She danced around making little barks at him. The next time she went out the cat was waiting for her and the same little playlet occurred. Spaying didn't change anything but she had obviously learned her behavior. This was their pattern the rest of her life. The cat didn't seem to like it but always came back for more.

She never did this with the other two cats. Once she was lying on the bed when my oldest cat walked down the hall and was opposite the doorway. She jumped off the bed, ran up to him, and put one paw on him as if to mount him. He turned and gave her a somewhat puzzled look. She stopped and came back into the bedroom. This wasn't the right cat. Her cat who weighed 50% more than she did sometimes played wild cat with her. He would perch several feet above her and launch himself when she walked by. They'd wrestle a bit and then go on their ways.

They frequently slept together. Her walks were in an open area behind the house and far from any roads. Sometimes the cat would come along. She'd chase him but since he was much faster he had to keep stopping so she could catch up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 AM

5,850 posts, read 8,788,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I couldn't believe this when I saw it scanning the board. Had an Australian Shepherd spayed female. A few times, to keep her from coming into the house or going into the car, I put out my leg to prevent her from entering. One time, she grabbed my lower leg with her paws and started humping. I thought it was hilariously funny. She sporadically would do that. I've heard it's dominance. In her case, I think it was anxiety and restlessness. She was hyperactive. I'll never forget when I had to have her put down for hip dysplasia. What a smart dog!
Ha!!! I think that was the case for mine too. She'd been impounded from her former owners - I don't know why, but she had puppies with her - and then was in the shelter for a while (kept alive through a sponsorship) - when I brought her home she was like a tornado. It took her quite a while to calm down, in fact, it was several months before she would actually lay down on the floor inside. She'd go into a sit but not a down.

My mother's shih tzu used to run around humping things as well, it was equally funny...

Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 AM

760 posts, read 2,037,254 times
My wire fox terrier did this to, and I asked a family friend who was a MD, and he said that after spaying she would have lost her female hormones when her ovaries were taken out, so her testosterone levels would be higher (from adrenal glands), making her body think she was male.

So that made sense to me.....although I do believe it has to do with dominance too.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,397,976 times
I think it is just animal behavior, I have female pygmy goats and they hump each other all the time.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,642,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
My wire fox terrier did this to, and I asked a family friend who was a MD, and he said that after spaying she would have lost her female hormones when her ovaries were taken out, so her testosterone levels would be higher (from adrenal glands), making her body think she was male.

So that made sense to me.....although I do believe it has to do with dominance too.
Ummm - Your MD friend definately isn't an OB/GYN. Under that theory, every woman that has had a complete hysterectomy would be growing a beard, hair on their chest and speaking baritone. Testosterone levels do not increase with the removal of overies. The level remains the same. Only difference is that the estrogen level goes to zero. The physical differences that would be noted are so small that its of no consequence, same as with human females that have had ovaries removed.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Ummm - Your MD friend definately isn't an OB/GYN. Under that theory, every woman that has had a complete hysterectomy would be growing a beard, hair on their chest and speaking baritone. Testosterone levels do not increase with the removal of overies. The level remains the same. Only difference is that the estrogen level goes to zero. The physical differences that would be noted are so small that its of no consequence, same as with human females that have had ovaries removed.
I was 20 when I had a compete hysterectomy.

I do not have a deep voice and have no beard.

If I ever want to "hump" any one.....I will let everyone know ASAP.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I was 20 when I had a compete hysterectomy.

I do not have a deep voice and have no beard.

If I ever want to "hump" any one.....I will let everyone know ASAP.
LOL - yes - please give us a heads up so we can stay clear

thanks for the laugh!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM

760 posts, read 2,037,254 times
Ok - I'm not an OB/GYN, but the 2 women that I know that had complete hysterectomy were on hormone suppliments to replace the lost estrogen. We don't give dogs hormone suppliments. And doesn't the same apply in reverse? That a males testosterone level is severely reduced by being castrated?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,438,116 times
Dogs don't have hands, so humping is the closest thing to mastrubation that they can manage.

So, if women didn't have hands, what would they do?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Ok - I'm not an OB/GYN, but the 2 women that I know that had complete hysterectomy were on hormone suppliments to replace the lost estrogen. We don't give dogs hormone suppliments. And doesn't the same apply in reverse? That a males testosterone level is severely reduced by being castrated?
Estogen suppliments are given for comfort (i.e. hot flashes and night sweats are no fun) and because of the correlation between surgical menopause and osteoperosis (bone loss). Hormone replacement is NOT given to keep us from becoming masculine. Like Driller, I had a complete hysterectomy in my 20s. I haven't taken hormones in over 28 years. Happy to say even without hormones I have no beard, no deep voice and no urge to hump anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs