Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I never worry about going out of town due to the auto feeders and she lets her self out whenever she feels the need and I leave TV on in bedroom and family room with her favorite channel animal planet.
Wow, with all the critter care I've done I've never heard of anyone to leave their dog(s) home alone. I mean if they can't book with us, they have a sitter, be it professional or a trusted friend come in due to health issues that could occur.

I'm not trying to malign you in any way, just wondering if you ever fear of your house catching on fire and with no one checking in on her I'd be frightened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
We care about algae in the bowl but the dogs don't. Doesn't matter how fresh the water in the bowl is, Spot prefers the toilet! I just do fresh water every day and whenever I think about it, I run the bowls through the dishwasher. Think about the gross things dogs eat and survive. A little algae is no problem.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Wow, with all the critter care I've done I've never heard of anyone to leave their dog(s) home alone. I mean if they can't book with us, they have a sitter, be it professional or a trusted friend come in due to health issues that could occur.

I'm not trying to malign you in any way, just wondering if you ever fear of your house catching on fire and with no one checking in on her I'd be frightened.
she smart enough to let her self outside dogs do have intuitive sense about danger.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:09 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
I would never leave my dog alone like that. Illness can strike at any moment (seizures, etc.) never mind other things mentioned here, like fire, etc.

I heard of a cat that was left alone while family went on vacation (sure, the usual food and water was left for it). The poor kitty got a nail caught in a drape, and couldn't get it loose. People came home to find their cat dead.

I hope that never happens to anyone here, and urge people to think about providing for someone to come in and take care of their animal while they are gone if they're not using a boarding kennel. It's good for them to just have some company, too, during that time. Someone to give them a few minutes of playtime, and see how they are behaving, whether they're well, and eating, drinking, etc.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:52 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I heard of a cat that was left alone while family went on vacation (sure, the usual food and water was left for it). The poor kitty got a nail caught in a drape, and couldn't get it loose. People came home to find their cat dead.
How awful! Poor cat, poor people.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
Sunny-- I hear you! Your little beauty reminds me of my Sam except he didn't have the white blaze on the face. She is beautiful. That being said I know mine was a sensitive particular critter with a mind of his own. It took him two years to use the bed I bought for him. One day he finally just went to sleep in it! How about if you unplug it with the water kept real fresh and let him get used to it first like that? Also, maybe some irresistible treat placed right next to it off and on until he thinks "this is a really excellent place"! Then try with the plug in and turn it down to the lowest level, so the sound is at its quietest. Then go from there. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
I'm pretty low-tech about water. I bought the biggest stainless bowl I could find and I fill it up once a day with filtered water.......twice if needed.

Both dogs drink out of this, and the cat too when she feels like it (she has her own bowl).

Most days, they never even come close to emptying the bowl.....it's THAT big !

I figured it also serves as a theft deterrent.......if someone even wanders into my kitchen and sees the size of that dog bowl, they'll be expecting Clifford The Big Red Dog (remember him? ).

As for leaving the dogs alone? Never. Boarding is one the expenses that comes with the territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs