U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 03:50 PM

673 posts, read 2,912,417 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used or currently uses the nail caps for dogs out there? I know Petsmart has them and I've been really considering them. Our dog freaks out every time we leave or come home and cant get the door open in time. I've had him mess up a window frame pretty bad and now he's working on my new door! The molding around it already looks horrible. I also have scratches on a wall and several other doors because if we lock him in a room (if a salesman comes to the door, etc. he cant be out, he'll try to attack them).

I already tried the bitter apple spray several years ago and that didnt phase him a bit. I'm thinking the nail caps could save me a big headache now and in the future. What are your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 03:53 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,217,751 times
I didn't Google it..but what is it?... it might help others that don't know either.

It also sounds like your dog could have separation anxiety ?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:10 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,814,308 times
I could see my dogs just chewing them off.

Plus, it can't be good for their nails to not get air. Women who get fake nails always risk fungus infections for that reason.

You're not dealing with damage that's any worse that what most other dog owners deal with.

Just repaint. You could also chose to install a clear plastic plating where she scratches the most.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 PM

673 posts, read 2,912,417 times
The nail caps are pieces of material, like rubber, that go over the dog's nails. If you go to the petsmart web site, type in 'nails' on their search and it will come up.

Hopes, good point I never did think about the fungus growing around the nails. I had fake nails once and I was so glad to get them off. They looked really pretty but I didnt care much for them, especially the upkeep.

The problem is when he scratches, he's been making really bad marks in the wood molding too. We're going to have to replace that or at least sand it down really good. We had to do the same thing with the window sill.

Yes my dog has serious seperation anxiety...and he's 9 years old so I have concerns about starting to crate him now. He's used to free roaming the house. I plan to see the vet in the next couple weeks for his checkup and see what they say as well.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,217,751 times
I did look it up and kinda figured it was something like that.
Would I ever get those for my dog(s)? No...
As Hopes has mentioned, I would be concerend about
fungus growing or the dog chewing them off and
causing more problems....like swallowing them, etc...

Have you ever considered obedience classes?
My dog went from night and day after just a few classes.

Without knowing everything about your dog like... has he always been like this?
Or did you recently move? Has anything changed with the dogs surroundings?
It's hard to say what you could do.

One way I diverted my dogs attention away from something she should not have
been doing (I'm not into yelling or hitting) was to put some coins in a coffee can
and rattle it whenever she was doing something wrong. It worked really well for her.
I still keep it visible...but never have to use it.

Hopefully your vet can give you some needed advice.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 14,992 times
i have them on my dog as we speak and she does great. you'd think she'd just chew them off but she acts like she doesn't even know they're on. she used to tear my grandma's skin up even when i trimmed and filed her nails but now she has the soft paws nail caps on and she can jump all over her and doesn't even do a thing. by the way you can get those a little bit cheaper and in cooler colors on the soft paws website.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,289,326 times
I have to agree about the training. Using the nail caps doesn't solve the problem and I'm not sure I would want them on my dogs nails all the time.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 23,867 times
I have not heard of a dog developing a fungus due to the use of these nail caps. I have a friend whose mother has developed several infections due to scratches on her fragile aged skin just from the dog reaching out with it's paw. The nail caps have prevented her from getting anymore tears in her skin and any more infections that result in several Dr. visits each time. I recommend them where there is a real need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs