U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2012, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,187 posts, read 14,906,959 times
Reputation: 18241

Advertisements

We adopted a shelter dog almost 7 years ago that is part Chow/Shepherd/other assorted breeds. She is a crotch sniffer. It has always been embarrassing especially with male neighbors that want to pet her. I always tell her no and pull back on her leash. The other day, a visitor was at the house and I pulled the dog away from her and told her to go lay down because of the behavior. The visitor said that she doesn't know why I scold the dog because the behavior doesn't bother her. Well, my thought was "my house, my rules". The dog is dominant but she is not and will not be in charge. I do wonder if it isn't just one of the breeds of her makeup. When I was a child, back in the days when we wore dresses, my uncle had a male collie and that dog's nose always went to the crotch and I hated visiting for that reason because the dog would not stop unless you could get away from it. OK, so now I realize why I find it so offensive. Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 AM
 
6,136 posts, read 12,495,320 times
Reputation: 8518
Your dog needs to be trained in obedience commands. She should be trained to sit and stay when someone comes to the house, not go sniff the guest's crotch, and not need to be dragged away. If you are dragging her away, she's still controlling you, you know?

Do some reading on how to teach basic obedience, in the home, then once she's learned, take it out in public so she can learn there, too.

Or take her to some obedience classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 AM
 
7,496 posts, read 9,693,915 times
Reputation: 7394
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We adopted a shelter dog almost 7 years ago that is part Chow/Shepherd/other assorted breeds. She is a crotch sniffer. It has always been embarrassing especially with male neighbors that want to pet her. I always tell her no and pull back on her leash. The other day, a visitor was at the house and I pulled the dog away from her and told her to go lay down because of the behavior. The visitor said that she doesn't know why I scold the dog because the behavior doesn't bother her. Well, my thought was "my house, my rules". The dog is dominant but she is not and will not be in charge. I do wonder if it isn't just one of the breeds of her makeup. When I was a child, back in the days when we wore dresses, my uncle had a male collie and that dog's nose always went to the crotch and I hated visiting for that reason because the dog would not stop unless you could get away from it. OK, so now I realize why I find it so offensive. Any insight?
Sniffing is natural for dogs. Heck they sniff each other's butts all the time. Anway, I don't think it's that unnatural. I've known a lot of female dogs that sniff crotches of both men and women. Just push their nose away gently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,374 posts, read 52,288,658 times
Reputation: 70301
None of my collies has ever been a crotch sniffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 AM
 
6,136 posts, read 12,495,320 times
Reputation: 8518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Sniffing is natural for dogs. Heck they sniff each other's butts all the time. Anway, I don't think it's that unnatural. I've known a lot of female dogs that sniff crotches of both men and women. Just push their nose away gently.
Yes it is a natural behavior. It is dog to dog etiquette to sniff butts, not faces, when greeting each other. But the dog can be trained to not sniff human crotches, simply by training dog to listen to and obey a human command.

Teach dog to sit and stay when being greeted by a human, rather than letting dog plow her nose into human's crotch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 AM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,137,567 times
Reputation: 9611
The best thing to do would be to always tell her to sit when someone's going to greet her, before she gets a chance to sniff, and then tell her to go lie down. The sniffing is probably self-rewarding, so don't give her a chance to start.
I don't know if it has anything to do with breed. You would think scent hounds would be more prone to it if there was a difference with breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
 
3,593 posts, read 10,623,733 times
Reputation: 5195
Yup - I have a "controlled" crotch sniffer but he is a male. Gator will wedge his nose in a person's crotch on first meeting if given the chance. Most people don't know it though since I try to introduce our dogs once a new guest is seated. My dogs (including Gator) also know to target on me if I snap my fingers. Usually works when I see an unwanted behavior about to happen.

With DH though its a whole other situation. Gator for some reason I can't fathom, will sometimes target DH on a cold winter mornings while he is bent over putting on his underwear.

Yes....once I've stopped laughing and peeled DH off the ceiling, Gator and I always have a talk about his manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM
 
907 posts, read 2,911,115 times
Reputation: 666
Default Thanks for the laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yup - I have a "controlled" crotch sniffer but he is a male. Gator will wedge his nose in a person's crotch on first meeting if given the chance. Most people don't know it though since I try to introduce our dogs once a new guest is seated. My dogs (including Gator) also know to target on me if I snap my fingers. Usually works when I see an unwanted behavior about to happen.

With DH though its a whole other situation. Gator for some reason I can't fathom, will sometimes target DH on a cold winter mornings while he is bent over putting on his underwear.

Yes....once I've stopped laughing and peeled DH off the ceiling, Gator and I always have a talk about his manners.
You would think your hubby would be wise to Gator by now, right? What comic relief for u though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
 
3,593 posts, read 10,623,733 times
Reputation: 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
You would think your hubby would be wise to Gator by now, right? What comic relief for u though
Yea - DH isn't the sharpest tack in the box when he first gets up in the morning. Thats always when Gator decides to liven up the party. I'm usually not in the room when he "attacks". I know its happened again when I hear a string of explatives followed by "Gator - get out!". I swear..... that dog is laughing as he comes flying into the kitchen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Kansas
19,187 posts, read 14,906,959 times
Reputation: 18241
My dog is obedient. The people are the problem. Everyone has to call her over and she is gets so excited. None of them like that I correct her for the behavior. These are people coming to the dog or calling the dog to them. I have a son with special needs so he is always the priority when we are outside. In the house, she greets them at the door before I can get there. I am now at the point that if they question her being corrected, my response is not going to be nice! Was housebroken from day one when she was 3 months old, clean, doesn't nip, is yard trained, quiet, knows tricks, walks perfectly at my side and will even do it without a lease as long as someone doesn't call her and if I tell her no, she stops in her tracks. This dog has just this one vice - cruising for crotches. Thanks for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top