U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM

11,144 posts, read 20,325,757 times

Advertisements

Having a dog is a lot like having a baby, just like a poster above said.

One thing to think about is what you'll do while you're at work. Is the dog going to be crated, or do you need a dog you can leave home alone for ten hours and trust not to eat your couch, bed, shoes, or computer cables?

My parents always had cats. A cat is fairly self-sufficient, will eat when it's hungry, use a litter box, etc. I was used to pets like that. The dog needs to be fed the amount you want it to eat, or it may eat until it's sick. It has to go outside to the bathroom, and most of all, it wants and needs your attention. You can't ignore the dog for a day or two because you're busy, or it gets bored and does bad things to your house. We got a dog not long after I was married, because my husband wanted one. I didn't know much about dogs, and my husband had a kid's idea of what it's like to own a dog...play with it when you want to, ignore it the rest of the time. I was shocked at how much work a dog was and how destructive they can be when they don't feel like they're getting enough attention. I only managed to keep that dog two months before I realized that my 650 sq ft apartment wasn't enough space for us and a dog, I couldn't work 60 hours a week and still have time for the dog, and my hubby wasn't interested in doing any of the dog care chores. I found her another home, and never considered having a dog again until 13 years later, when I had more time, money, patience, etc.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a dog...just saying it may be more work that you're imagining it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM

36 posts, read 74,578 times
foxy, lol I literally meant the size of the poo itself lol. Like do u want a poo comparable to your own or more like a little finger lol

Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM

414 posts, read 889,528 times
Default Good Stuff

1) The poop comments are cracking me up. Yes, the bigger the dog, the larger the actual dimensions (length, diameter, etc.) are.

2) I appreciate all the comments clearing up the size issue. They actually say Great Danes do well in apartments if they are properly exercised because they like to lay around. Any dog will thrive in an environment with its owner as long as it is given the love, affection, and physical activity the breed requires. Obviously some thought should be put into this...don't get a herding breed (border collie for example) dog whose inherent nature is to run and tend to the flock of sheep. A small yappy dog might not do well because they are indeed yappy. Neighbors don't appreciate that!

3) Do as others have said. Find out breed restrictions, weight limits, etc. Most apartments do not allow: Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Chows, Rottweilers, and sometimes German Shepherds. Those are the ones I have heard from many, many places.

All of that being said...ignore comments about having to be home all the time with your dog. If YOU make seperation an issue, then of course it will be. If you make sure you properly socialize your pet, love it, spend time with it...because it is a HUGE responsibility (not as big as having a child...but it's the best comparison one can give to show a comparison), and you will have a happy, healthy pet. It is unrealistic to think you can spend 24/7 with your dog. That would make you an irresponsible dog owner because you wouldn't have a job to provide for your pet. You also might want to reconsider a Golden if you won't have a ton of spare time because they are extremely active dogs, even though they are eager to please their owners. I would avoid huskies too...now they need some running room!

Also, to conclude, I would be cautious of what people tell you about certain breeds unless they are a breeder themself. Suggestions, are different from firm comments about a breed's temperment etc. Remember, it is all relative to how a dog is raised. Yes, they have natural instincts that cannot be trained out, but rather suppressed and used appropriately. Simply do your homework, take suggestions/comments with a grain of salt, and get the breed that best fits your lifestyle versus your living quarters themselves.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
i have a 6 month old 55lb american bulldog x mastif, and 2 chinese crested dogs (5lbs and 10lbs respecitvly...) my dogs are fed a GOOD quality limited grain diet (willbe going raw as soon as i can afford it) and the 55lb mastif poop isnt much begger than the 5lb cresites poop...so no...bigger dog doesnt mean bigger poop. diet quality however does...my neghbors 6 or 7 lbs rat terrier eats ole roy and her poops are BIGGER than my 55lb mastifs poops!.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,176,039 times
Regardless, using poop size as a factor in choosing a dog is a new one on me.
Small dogs may be harder to housebreak which could be a factor for someone who lives in an apartment.
The OP hasn't been back since his first post. Maybe getting a dog is just a passing fancy.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,962,259 times
I've got two dogs:

45 lb. shepherd mix (age 10) who would be miserable if she had to be indoors for hours at a time.

12 lb. poodle/maltese mix (age 3 or 4) who would be miserable if she had to be outdoors for hours at a time.

I'm sure the opposite is true in other households. It all depends on the personality of the dog.

P.S. I've always considered myself a "big dog" person and never thought I'd have a small one but we found the little one two years ago and she is beyond AWESOME. I'm officially an "all-size" dog person.

Last edited by atina33; 04-12-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times
Artie is an average-sized dog, weighing 35 pounds.

We live in a 2500 square-foot house. Where is Artie during the day? In one of the bedrooms that I made into an office for myself, right next to me. He is *always* wherever I am. I'm absolutely convinced that even if Artie was a BIG dog who weighed 100 pounds, and if I lived in a studio apartment the size of a closet, that he'd be perfectly happy as long as he's with me.

When you're working, your dog will most likely be sleeping most of the time. He doesn't need vast space for that -- your couch or bed will be fine and dandy for him.

Just make sure that when you're not working, you take your dog out and exercise him. Play with him. Walk him. Physically and mentally stimulate him. Love him.

And if you're working for the whole day, arrange for someone to give him a mid-day walk.

He doesn't need five bedrooms. He just needs his own bit of space and your love.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM

578 posts, read 1,105,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One thing to think about is what you'll do while you're at work. Is the dog going to be crated, or do you need a dog you can leave home alone for ten hours and trust not to eat your couch, bed, shoes, or computer cables?
For apartment dogs, I would say that crate training is almost 100% needed. They get their own cozy place to call home -- and you don't lose all of your deposit in the process and cause damage to the apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs